My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, December 12, 2005

The Good Old Days

Gosh, that last entry with my drawings was totally unexpected. I was sitting and thinking of the post before that one about favorite songs and mainly remembering when I was young and this time of year would roll around and all the Christmas shows would come on.



I never, ever missed anything Perry Como did. He had a t.v. show for a long time that I never missed either. He had a way of making you feel so comfortable and relaxed, and the times he would smile and chuckle just made you do the same thing with him.




Andy Williams.. that's another one. Gosh, I'd wait for his Christmas Show to come on. It was always good. He'd have his whole family there, during good times or bad and he'd sing his heart out for everyone. What a beautiful, beautiful voice he had. Who couldn't remember and sing with him whenever he sang Moon River?!! (not that i can carry a tune mind you lol)




And Nat King Cole. Wow.. I am sighing just thinking of him. He had such a gorgeous voice and beautiful diction. I think he was the first black man to have his own show. Unfortunately it didn't last long, but while it did he had the big name people like Ella Fitzgerald on his show. No one turned down an invitation from Nat.


He effected me so much that I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news that he had died. I was working in a factory, on a line where speed was important. They would pipe in music which was nice, but this one day they broke in with the news that Nat had died. Everyone stopped working for a moment not believing what they heard. I totally lost it and began to cry so hard I had to go to the ladies room. I was heart broken. To this day I have about 8 CDs of Nats. Though his daughter Natalie sings, she can never replace her dad.

It's odd that i was taken with these singers when I was a teenager. I was very much into "Rock and Roll" and even playing drums back then. But it didn't matter, these and others like them were the "real singers". Talented as the R&R singers were and todays singers are, to me they will never come close to the talent of the old time singers. (ok.. maybe Josh Groban.. )

Gosh, I feel ancient talking about them like I am. Maybe it's because replacements for them never happened. It's too bad... I'll always miss them, and always remember them. I'm glad I had the opportunity to be able to see and hear them when I did.



3 Comments:

Blogger betty said...

I remember watching both Perry Como's and Andy Williams' Christmas specials - staying up late to be able to watch them when I was younger - and what a treat it was.

10:06 PM  
Blogger V said...

And.... Johnny Mathis!!
V

1:31 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

You can never replace "Art".

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home