My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

And the point is?



In a little while I will be going grocery shopping with David. I have found that each time I do this (once a month) it scares the living beegeebies out of me.

Many times my mind wonders, how the heck did we get to this point? A point where many of the people living in America can't afford food. A point where people have to make choices like, do I eat or get medicine?

If my, not very good ,memory recalls anything about American history.. when people arrived here from other countries and found the American Indian, they bartered with them. (later they bartered them right out of nearly everything they owned, but that's a whole other story) Back then, there was no Money involved.

Yet today, money has nearly become matter of fact .. i mean think about it.. the huge salaries sports figures and actors get. More money then they could ever spend in a life time, and .. and.. they keep getting MORE.

Don't get me wrong. They have a talent not everyone has. They too work hard for a salary... it's just that the salary is way out of hand.

We really can't compare Apples and Oranges, yet you see it all the time..: re: a teacher or fireman should make more then a football player. I don't think that's really what's wrong... What's wrong is how was it ever allowed to get out of hand? Why wasn't there some sort of cap on the salary ? Why has it come to a point where, more and more this land is producing either Millionaires or Poverty stricken people? Middle class has all but disappeared.

Middle class now means that in any given family, both have to work. Both...which means, no more mother at home for the children. If they choose to stay at home with their family over "money"..they find their self in that poverty level.

There's just so much I don't understand. And it seems money is at the root of most all of it.

For instance, medicine and the cost of. I don't get it.

When did discovering a medicine that aids other human beings become big business instead of a case of helping other human beings?? Doctors.. used to care. Now they are taught NOT to care, don't get involved in feelings at all.. Old time doctors knew every patient and everything that ailed them... WITHOUT reading a file. Even back when I was a kid I never heard a doctor ask: what medicines do i have you on? They didn't ask because they KNEW. Again.. money pushes them.. get the patient in and out for the next one.. the more i see the more money i make... and they do this because? Because the alternative is to care, have less patients and wind up not so well off for all their efforts. What's wrong with this picture?


Strange isn't it? Gosh, I can hardly wait to go grocery shopping so i can see all the stuff I can no longer afford...

5 Comments:

Blogger Charles said...

I know how you feel. When I went and got a doctor, I felt like he didn't even care. He just prescribed something to try and bring down the swelling on my foot. One of the side-effects of the pills was swelling, and guess what. The swelling never went away, but my gums started bleeding, and my hands got a little swollen. I haven't been back since, and I found out that I had high cholesterol that day. I can only imagine now, considering I went back to my previous diet. I don't think fire-fighters get paid enough. Doctors and fire-fighters both save lives, but it's the fire-fighters that risk there lives for another. Seems wrong to me too. They should at least get more credit, more respect than doctors do.

12:21 PM  
Blogger emmapeelDallas said...

I spent the last 5 1/2 years working in a hospital, seeing kids with psychiatric disorders. I worked for some great docs, and if I saw a family that had no insurance, I could always talk the docs into waiving their fees, but the hospital/clinic would NEVER waive that fee, and patients had to be registered to be seen. I did get really good at figuring out how to get meds for people without insurance, though. I agree with you, the discrepancy in what people make is getting scarier all the time. This was a great post.

Judi

12:38 AM  
Blogger Matthew Bamberg said...

Managed care. Geeze, the last time I saw my doctor she spent all of three minutes, then she disappeared leaving me with the nurses' assistants.

1:55 AM  
Blogger rdl said...

I hear ya! I work for doctors so I see all those patients. Their excuse is "the medicare cuts"; same one they use to give us lousy raises (barely cost of living or less) but we know they just don't want to make a cut in their lifesyles.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Rose DesRochers said...

I agree with you 100%. Sad isn't it?

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home