My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Round Robin...

Today is the day for The Round Robin post!.. the subject for this is "Transportation". Re: facility consisting of the means and equipment necessary for the movement of passengers or goods. The act of transporting something or someone from one location to another.
Wow, this could go almost anywhere! One could post a photo of a pair of shoes that they walk in.. that's a mode of transportation. So is biking or skating, boating or trains or flying, and of course there's always the "who can any longer afford the gas? Car".
No one sits still, so "Transportation" is everywhere... Birds transport their self by flying a lot cheaper then we can fly, and animals have no need to buy shoes to walk in.
It would seem that if getting from one place to another hadn't fascinated anyone items like our cars and trains and planes never would have been invented! We'd still be using the old horse and buggy to get around. (though more and more that's not sounding so bad! The "fuel" for the horse won't ever run out and the green house effect would probably drop down into the safe zone once again!!)
I thought about posting on Space Transportation, since that is our inevitable future, and since I love the space program so much..and since "Dr. McCoy would have wanted me to!" heh.. but... that's not what I'm choosing for my mode of transportation post today.

As one becomes Old.. ummm, Older... Aged.... Mature... oh hell, once you are an old fart like me, "Time" begins to weigh heavily on your mind. So for today, I chose "Time Transportation" ........even though it's not real..... yet.
It seems I'm not the only one that this sort of mode of Transport interests. As far back as 1898 H.G. Wells was writing aboutinventing a Time Machine. Ahhhh yep... that's what I want all right.. a Time Machine!
Just imagine being able to "be transported back (or forward) in time". You could leap forward and find cures for any illness, or jump back and remember how things used to be! wow.. would that be fantastic or what?!!


H.G. Wells wrote the Time Machine . In 1960 "The Time Machine" , starring: Rod Taylor. /Alan Young. /Yvette Mimeux. / /Sebastian Cabot was released to the public.
Plot Summary for The Time Machine :
From the book by H.G. Wells, a scientist and tinkerer builds a time machine and uses it to explore the distant future where there are two races, a mild gentle race, and a cannibalistic one living underground. His machine is stolen by the underground race and he must risk capture himself (and being eaten) to return to his own time.


(2002) The Time Machine Starring : Guy Pierce 

Plot Summary for The Time Machine : Based on the classic sci-fi novel by H.G. Wells, "The Time Machine" stars Guy Pearce in the role of scientist and inventor, Alexander Hartdegen, who is determined to prove that time travel is possible. (ask me if i'd get in a Time Traveling machinewith HIM! heh, why.. yes i would!)
There were other people who were interested in being transported by Time Travel and some made it to a little thing called Television, among them a program called Sliders...


(1995) Sliders Starring: Jerry O'Connell. /Cleavant Derricks. /John Rhys-Davies. /Sabrina Lloyd.
Plot Summary: While trying to develop an anti-gravity device, physics genius Quinn Mallory instead creates a device that opens portals to alternative realities. After an accident leaves them lost, Mallory and his companions: his physics professor, Professor Maximillian Arturo, his work colleague and potential love, Wade Wells, and a washed-up soul singer, Rembrandt Brown, "slide" from reality to reality in search of home.

And where would we be without Stargate: SG-1? Yet another means to be Transported through Time!... This time, a very ancient portal.

(1997) Stargate:SG-1 Richard Dean Anderson./ Michael Shanks. /Ben Browder./ Amanda Tapping. / Beau Bridges. /Christopher Judge

Plot Summary: General Hammond summons Colonel Jack O'Neill out of retirement to embark on a secret rescue mission. O'Neill confesses that he disobeyed orders to destroy the Stargate on Planet Abydos, and that scientist Daniel Jackson may still be alive. Arriving on Abydos with his team, O'Neill meets up once again with the scientist, who has discovered a giant elaborate cartouche in hieroglyphics. All signs point to the fact that this is a map of many Stargates that exist throughout the galaxy - a development that makes the dream of the SG-1 team to travel throughout the universe in time a reality.

And if I don't mention Quantum Leap here, Karen, of Outpost Mâvarin would never forgive me!! But if you want more specifics on Quantum Leap... just as Karen! 


(1989) Quantum Leap Scott Bakula. Dean Stockwell
Plot Summary: Theorizing that one could time-travel within his own lifetime, Dr. Sam Beckett led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project known as Quantum Leap. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Dr. Beckett prematurely stepped into the project accelerator... and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own time was maintained through brain wave transmissions with Al, the project observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Dr. Beckett can see and hear. Trapped in the past, Dr. Beckett finds himself leaping from life to life, putting things right that once went wrong and hoping each time that his next leap would be the leap home."


..... of all of these fancy-schmancy forms of transportation, I think I'd choose to travel with Guy Pierce and his Time Machine...yeah that's the ticket! I'm ready when you are Guy! Where, oh where shall we go first?!!

9 Comments:

Blogger Karen Funk Blocher said...

Heh, heh, heh. I'm holding out for a TARDIS, myself! But where's a photo of your own time machine? Or maybe your own photo of a guy who once found himself transported to the Depression, and whimpered about "needles, and sutures...!"- K

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I was gonna be mad if you didn't mention QL, also! Needles and sutures? Stone knives and bear skins!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

Lovin' it! Quantum Leap was my show!!!! But Sam's mode of time transportation would have sucked having to be Mr. Goodie two shoes and never being able to control where he landed next. Give me a flying, time travelling Delorian anyday!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

When I lived in Japan, the AF station had reruns of Quantum Leap on and that was the first time I ever watched it. I'd go over my friend's house after dinner when my husband (now ex) was working a 24 hour shift and we'd watch it. Great show!

Great idea for "transportation" too :-)

5:02 PM  
Blogger Suzanne R said...

Very clever application of the theme! It would be great to be transported in this way, to an extent, although I love my modern conveniences (even needles and sutures) so would confine it to the future. ;-)

5:44 PM  
Blogger kmm said...

Yes, i agree Guy would be the best, easy on the eyes.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

I was sad at the end of the last episode of Quantum Leap. Sam never made it back home. I really, really wanted him to get back.

Do you remember SeaQuest? That was one of my favorites too! Traveling underwater in a souped up submarine. That was soooo cool! I hope they bring it to DVD.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Carly said...

Tee Hee. I adore H.G. Wells, I just re-read The Time Machine for about the hundreth time just last month. :)I loved the movie Time After Time which was based on the book...sort of...and filmed in San Francisco. :)Yes, a nicce trip through time would be nice. :)

12:50 AM  
Blogger Dornbrau said...

Ah, time travel and the mysterious time machine! I'll bet you didn't know that as a kid I used to dream of taking a trip in a time machine. I wanted to go back to the days of King Arthur and the knights of the Round Table!
Great entry!
Now I have to see if I can pass your word verification test!

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home