My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Me and my big Toe

On Friday I went to a foot doctor. My big toe was giving me grief.. one side of the toenail was growing deep into the toe and back under the nail. Needless to say I was limping a lot, which did not help my bad back any.

So.. I go to see what needs to be done and wind up having "toe surgery"... not fun.

I kept my eyes shut the entire time! I didn't plan it that way, generally speaking after a needle goes in i can watch.. blood doesn't bother me that much. But he had some things in his hands that I really didn't want to see what he was going to do with them!

The first thing, of course, is the needle to "numb the toe"... yeah right. So I ask:

Is this really going to numb it all?

Yes, he replies, you will feel pressure but it should kill all pain.

Should?

*chuckle from the doctor. It will be ok, trust me.

(the last time I trusted someone it was my X and I wound up pregnant!.. trust? duh!)

Ok, so now the toe is numb after two needles in the toe joint... ouch, ouch.

Can you feel this? the doctor asks.

Well, sorta.. i feel something.

Pain?

No

Good.

Seconds later..

Ouch!

Sorry

Ouch... pause.. ouch, ouch! I thought i shouldn't feel anything!

We are close now...

Close to what? China?

Ouch, Ouch... holy ouch!

Ok done.

Are you sure?

Just have to put medicine on it .. this stuff will stop the nail from growing back.

Ok.. OUCH!

(did a dumb thing and looked.. stuck under my toenail (or lack of.. in the corner) a long q-tip is stuck way under the nail... I closed my eyes again!)

Moments pass.. ok you can look now.

Gosh thanks doc... can I tell you whatever you used to numb my toe doesn't work real well?!

He bandages it up and tells me to soak the toe each day , pat it dry, put on neosporin and a bandage for about a week.... then he puts on my sock and reaches for my shoe.

Ummm... I think I'll pass on the shoe doc.

He puts it on anyway... I think he needs to go for a hearing test!

I will admit so far so good it feels a lot better ..but then I took an old pair of sneakers and cut the toe area out ..heh.. not going to push my luck..

Actually, the whole thing took about 20 minutes of my sounding like I only knew one word, "ouch".. So... how was your weekend?

3 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Well, I had a bit of toe surgery myself, last Monday...Not as extensive as you...BUT I had to have BIG toe surgery about 6 years ago on both BIG TOE NAILS....So, I know of what you speak...ALL too well. I truly empathize with you and the pain even though you were given shots....I made the doctor give me more before I would let him proceed....
Personally I found not putting a regular show on really helped the toes heel faster...You are smart to cut out that sneaker!!!
I hope it feels better very very soon. (My minor one is doing much better,,,That soaking and that beosporin routine must be the answer!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

OUCH! Anything to do with toes is {excuse the pun} a pain. Working around animals (mostly bigger than me) most of my life, I've had a few 'squished toes'. But, what a good excuse to put your foot up and either read or watch a good movie!!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

lol....glad you got some relief, despite the unpleasant experience. Just stay away from any kickball games for a while.

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home