My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Mercurochrome? What's that?

A comment was asked by Jeff, from a previous post I did, (re: Black and White) as to what DID ever happen to Mercurochrome? Now, I do know many of you under the age of 40 won't even know what Mercurochrome is... so let's just say, it was very similiar to Iodine. It was used for scrapes and cuts and one day just seemed to disappear off of pharmacy shelves.

Wondering if I could find out the answer to this I, naturally, Googled the word and came up with an answer! (whoa!) I found it on a site called Straight Dope. So, here for Jeff, and anyone else old enough to remember Mercurochrome is the answer I found, in the form of a question and answer...


Dear Cecil: I had skin surgery recently and was told to apply Mercurochrome to aid in scar less healing. The product, once widely available, is sold by only one vendor in Boise, and I'm told they manufacture their own. Another pharmacist told me they were not allowed to handle or sell it. What happened to this antiseptic that I grew up with? --David Young, Boise, Idaho

Cecil replies:

You're dating yourself, pops. Few under age 30 have ever heard of this stuff. In 1998, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration declared that Mercurochrome, generically known as merbromin, was "not generally recognized as safe and effective" as an over-the-counter antiseptic and forbade its sale across state lines. A few traditionalists complained: Whaddya mean, not generally recognized as safe? Moms have been dabbing it on their kids' owies since the Harding administration! But the more reasonable reaction was: It's about time.

For many years the FDA, faced with the task of regulating thousands of pharmaceuticals and food additives, many of which long predated federal oversight, has maintained the so-called GRAS (generally recognized etc) list, originally compiled as a way of grandfathering in products like Mercurochrome that had been around for ages and hadn't hurt or killed a noticeable number of people. Recognizing that from a scientific standpoint such a standard left a lot to be desired, the FDA has been whittling away at the unexamined products on the GRAS list over time. Mercurochrome and other drugs containing mercury came up for scrutiny as part of a general review of over-the-counter antiseptics that began in 1978, and for good reason--mercury in large enough doses is a poison that harms the brain, the kidneys, and developing fetuses. While no one's offered evidence of mass Mercurochrome poisoning, the medical literature contains scattered reports of mercury toxicity due to use of the antiseptic, and these days the burden of proof is on drug manufacturers to show that their products' benefits outweigh the risks. In the case of Mercurochrome and many other mercury-containing compounds, that had never been done.

The FDA initially proposed clipping Mercurochrome's GRAS status in 1982 and asked for comment. Hearing little, the FDA classified the antiseptic as a "new drug," meaning that anyone proposing to sell it nationwide had to submit it to the same rigorous approval process required of a drug invented last month. (This took place in 1998--nobody's going to accuse the FDA of rushing to judgment.) It's not out of the question that a pharmaceutical company will do so someday--published research on Mercurochrome, though hardly abundant, suggests the stuff is reasonably effective. However, the approval process is time-consuming and expensive and any patent protection Mercurochrome might once have had surely expired long ago. For the foreseeable future those yearning for that delicious Mercurochrome sting will have to look somewhere else.

So.. there you have it. Now we all know what happened to Mercurochrome!

11 Comments:

Blogger Kiyotoe said...

I thought that was the stadium the Minnesota Vikings played in. Oops.

Thanks for the lesson.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

I know what it is.. and it burned.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I for one, miss it. I used to mix it with baby oil for tanning. I met a girl at a lake one time and spent the day with her. I shared my merc-oil mixture with her and it tanned her quickly (starting the nice orange-hued tanning phase that we see now). Later, she ended up winning the county beauty pageant and was up for Miss Indiana.

"Mama don't take my mercurochrome away." (with apologies to Paul Simon)

4:50 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

OMG, Jeff! I used to mix Merc and baby oil too! lol.. but i'm Irish and English.. (can we say "puke white"?) it did help some but I never had what anyone would call a "real tan" lol

4:57 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

I'm under 40 (by a few years, at least) and I distinctly remember mercurochrome.

But there's one thing I don't remember that everyone else seems to: the sting.

When I had a boo-boo, I hoped my mom would reach for the mercurochrome. I don't remember a single instance of mercurochrome ever burning when applied. Indeed, it was another, similar product called merthiolate that did all of the burning.

My mom kept mercurochrome in her medicine cabinet; my grandmother had the tincture of merthiolate. I always tried to be extra careful when I was staying with my grandmother!

11:08 PM  
Blogger Panthergirl said...

Methiolate!! I was trying to remember the name of the one that stung like crazy... yeow. Now what happened to THAT?

6:07 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

My parents swore by mercurochrome. They thought it was the best cure for athlete's foot and they used it for injuries.

I tried to refuse it, opting for just scrubbing out the wound. I didn't know about the mercury controversy at that time, but I detested that stain that took days to go away. I managed to avoid it most of the time, and I wasn't a tomboy either.

Thank goodness we have better antiseptics like bactine, neosporine, and tinactin today.

3:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

I am 21 and have heard of it. Yeah, it never burned. I loved that stuff, the funny thing is my parents called it "MONKEY BLOOD" wooo!! Haha. It freaked me out because that's what I thought it really was. I was just talking about it with my mom for using it as tanning, but I don't know where they sale it anymore.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The FDA removed it in 1990 so how could you possibly remember?

4:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How could you possibly remember using it when it was removed by the FDA in 1991? FOH

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home