My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I Did-Done-Dodit!

Well, I finally did it. I finally wrote to Morgan Freeman! I had a letter in the process for weeks, trying to have it sound the way I wanted. I'm not even sure it was right, but I finally sent it.


I used to write to people who's autographs I wanted a lot more often then I do now. My letters are not conventional. According to those to give advice to those writing to celebrities I do everything wrong. They tell you to make them short and sweet, "no more then one page". Most often my letters run 2 pages and sometimes longer! They tell you not to make them "personal". If they didn't mean something personal to me I would not bother to write!


It's sometimes hard to express to someone in written words just what they mean to you. So you write it and wait. Then read it again and change it. ... and wait. Then you read it and change it again. sigh. Well I did that a sufficient amount of times and finally addressed the envelope, put the letter inside (along with an sase), gave a HUGE sigh, and put the stamps on it.


Now I wait.


I know it will be some time before it even gets to him. It first goes to his agent in California, who in turns sends it to him (here on the east coast). I'm sure he gets plenty of mail. He is, after all, MORGAN FREEMAN!


All I do now (and whenever I get up the guts to send a letter) is to wait and hope. First and foremost, I hope he reads the letter, even if I get no response. Then of course I hope he does autographs and I get one! lol.


But mostly I write because I have something to say to the individual, and I want them to know. (autograph be dammed).


Morgan Freeman is a busy man. If you look him up on Imdb you will see that he remains VERY busy! That pleases me. He's one of those actors who only gets better with age.


So.. that's what I did yesterday. The envelope got mailed today. IF and when I hear from him you will be the first to know! Meanwhile, enjoy the photo below of some of the many faces of Mr. Morgan Freeman.


10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is great that you write letters to celebrities you admire (btw - Morgan Freeman is my favorite!). I never had the guts. I feel a type of peer pressure even when alone. I am just gutless about some things. I envy you and the way you live your life.

10:35 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Jeff.. I learned Looooong ago that celebrities are people too. And that if you admire someone, for whatever reason, be it actor or cabinetmaker, if you never tell them that you admire their work they never know. I do go into writing to celebs a little differently though, in that I hope for a response, but I expect NONE. Mostly because for the most part, there's no way they could read or respond to every single person. So, for the most part I'm just happy I found a way to write to someone and to think that maybe they enjoy what I have to say.

After working with a number of celebs at autograph shows and listening to the "fans" talk to them and hearing their responses, I know they appreciate the feelings that they did something well.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

I LOVE THIS MAN!!!! I am in the middle of writing a novel about voodoo in Detroit, and I have patterned the main character after the character Freeman played in SEVEN. The other character is fashioned with the idea of Forest Whittaker in the role. Why not aim high?

Freeman is astonishing. If there is a Mother Earth, then he is Father Earth.

7:36 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

LOL gee Stewart, I'm glad I picked someone you liked! lol

Ahhhh yes, isn't it so that when one writes they have certain "somebody" in mind when they create their characters?! The fun part is hearing their voice when writing dialogue!! It gets almost like watching "the movie" of it in your mind!

If I get a response I'll let everyone know!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

He's a terrific actor. I just loved him in Shawshank. I hope you get the autograph :)

7:00 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I hope you do hear from him Pat....He certainly is a very very special actor, and someone I admire greatly....! Good Luck!

12:00 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Wow, awesome!!
I admire you for having the guts to actually write, and to write something meaningful at that. I'll bet you get a good response. I think it is just amazing the kind of contact you've had with celebrities of the sci-fi/fantasy genre, through conventions and otherwise.. it's completely awesome to me. I also wanted to apologize for not adding your blog to my list of links! I swear I thought I had, but I noticed my omission today, and righted it immediately, because your blog does truly rock! :)

3:31 PM  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

Well, I won't put a downer on all this and tell you my dh's experiences with him on a press junket in Prince George during Dream Catchers.

Burst our bubble.

I hope he responds...that would be cool.

And despite all...I think he is a good actor and enjoy him in all his roles.

3:42 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

asara: I don't think it much "rocks" but thanks for coming by anyway lol

Cruchy: not everyone makes the same impressions on an individual.. sorry dh has a bad experience.. a press junket may not be an ideal way to meet someone?? who knows..

4:04 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

ROFL! I haven't written a FAN letter since I was a teenager!!! GOOD for YOU! Wow! Do you think he'll ever even SEE it? Or do you think someone like Naomi who helps her friend answer her fan mail will open it and answer instead! How many "true" autographs do you have? NOT the ones stamped on with a rubber stamper... but REAL ones? You are something Deslily! (have I ever told you I always want to call you Desilu? Just like Desilu Productions? From Desi and Lucy Arnaz?) LOL! (thought you should know!)

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home