My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Book Meme

The BOOK Meme
Found this one over at Insanity Prevails the other day. I know it's been around for a while and decided to give it a go myself..
Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback?
If I can afford it.. Hardback is my first choice, followed by Trade Paperback and Paperback. I have to say all of them because not all books come out in Hardback or Trade Paperback, and I don't want to miss any good books!
Amazon or brick and mortar? (buying on line or in a store?)
Oh my.. that's a tuff one! Both! ..and here's why.. I spend less at Amazon, which is a good thing. I mean, I browse and shop and then delete lol.. so I save money... on the other hand, there are books I probably would have ignored had I not been able to pick it up and read the back cover and the inside flaps of the dustcover. I do tend to spend more then I can afford to once I get inside a bookstore! sigh.
Barnes & Noble or Borders?
Any book store will do, but I have to admit I like Barnes and Noble a lot!! (they also have a really good amount of "sale books"!! That can only help!
Bookmark or dogear?
Gosh, I honestly can't remember the last time I dogeared a page in a book! I know I've done it in the past but it's been many a year (eons) since then. Besides, I like using my Dr McCoy bookmarker! heh
Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random?
I tend to keep my books together by author. But I don't alphabetize the order of the authors.
Keep, throw away, or sell?
I can't say I know anyone that has thrown away books! And it's DEFINATELY not me! It's rare I read a book and not like it. If that does happen I would give it away or sell it at a yard sale. But the books I like... goodness... many of those now have yellow pages and need to be replaced, but I love the original coverart so much that I keep refusing to buy new copies! (I don't know why they insist on changing the cover art on books!! grrrrrrrrrrrrr)
Keep dust jacket or toss it?
Ohhh, I keep the dustjackets!! Cover art tells you so much of what the book is about, and some of those artists are fantastic! I 've even bought books of just their art!
Read with dust jacket or remove it?
I definately remove the dustjacket until I am done reading the book. I hate to take a chance on tearing the cover.
Short story or novel?
Definately novels. I dislike getting into a story and getting to like a character and then having it abruptly end.
Collection (short stories by same author) or anthology (short stories by different authors)?
That would be a Collection I guess. I have favorite authors that I will read some of their short material, even though it frustrates me that its so short.
Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
Even though both of these are supposedly for "young adults" I think Lemony Snicket is for "very" young adults. I love the Harry Potter books.. as much as I am looking forward to book 7 that is due out this July, I'm really going to miss the characters.
Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
Pretty much at chapter breaks. I don't like to push myself to read when I am tired because although I am reading it, I'm not always comprehending what I am reading when I get too tired.
"It was a dark and stormy night" or "Once upon a time"?
That's an easy one for me, "Once upon a time"! I don't mind watching a scarey movie but I've never been able to get into reading them.
Buy or Borrow?
I like to buy my books, because I know if I like them I will keep them forever and read them more then once. Rarely I will borrow a book, if I am really unsure of if I will like it or not... if I like it I go back and buy it .
New or used?
New is always the best, but I've purchased used books many times. Most are in really good condition anyway, so why not? Plus if it's at a yard sale or something I may pick up something I normally wouldn't buy at full price and give it a read to see if I like it.
Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation or browse?
I take all of the above into consideration.
Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
Oh boy.. well.. I don't mind a cliffhanger if it's in a series of books, and the next book is available! But.. DO NO LEAVE ME HANGING FOR 2 YEARS WAITING FOR THE NEXT BOOK! I would not be a happy camper!
Morning reading, afternoon reading or nighttime reading?
Any time I get the time... I can't be fussy! I generally get some night reading in and try like heck to get some daytime in too.
Stand alone or series?
Series! Oh yes! If I like the characters I don't ever want them to go away! I hate when a favorite author decides they are tired of what they have been writing and decide to go off into something else entirely.. *groan.
Favorite series?
Oh my.. I have many. The LOTR series, the Pern series, the Belgarath series, Dragonlance series, Thomas Covenant series, Harry Potter... and on and on lol.
Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
Hmmm, now that's difficult, if a book is published it has to be known by many.. I mentioned a book a few posts down called Company of Heroes which is not a "best seller" that I enjoyed, and maybe an older book I have of Jane Wagner's she wrote for her life-mate, Lily Tomlin, which in turn was a one woman Broadway show, The Search For Signs of Intelligent Life In the Universe.
Favorite books read last year?
I don't know if it's a favorite but I enjoyed recently reading a trilogy by Margaret Weis The Mistress of Dragons.
Favorite books of all time?
Gimme a break! I've mentioned most of them in this Meme!!!
********************************************
Having finished the book Meme I guess this is where I tell you that I also finished the Angela Lansbury Biography that I was reading. There were a few things about her in the book that I didn't know but nothing earth shattering, and I come away from it still admiring her very much.
And today I begin: Inkheart by Cornelia Funke.
The books, Inkheart and Inkspell, arrived in the mail on Saturday. Two things surprised me about them. The first was the size of the books. They are hard backs and measure 6 1/4 wide by 8 inches tall. Almost a square! Very odd holding the book... add to that it's over 500 pgs so it's thick.

The other thing I noticed, I really liked! I took the dustcover off, as I always do so that I won't tear or bend it, as I am reading, and the same picture is on the hard cover!! I haven't seen something like that i quite a while!!! It seems the publishers save money by only having the name and picture on the dustcover, so this is a small delight!
I know these books are for young adults so I am not expecting alot, but I do hope that they are enjoyable... I'll let you know when I reach the end of the first book.



4 Comments:

Blogger Melli said...

You and my sister would get along sO well! (she's not a blogger though...) But she reads allllllll the same Fantasy books that you mentioned! She just THRIVES on them! And she is always trying to get ME interested in them! LOL! I might have to get these latest ones and mail them to her, IF you do indeed recommend them!

8:53 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I never dog-ear and I take the dust cover of when reading the book. You sound a lot like me. I have books everywhere...and still buy more!

11:15 PM  
Blogger DellaB said...

Hi Pat, I am in here to pick up this meme - it's RAINING so I get to play on the 'puter, this is my first task - so far.

4:34 PM  
Blogger DellaB said...

HAHAHA .. I am BACK to pivk up the meme - I got sidetracked by Melli.. thanks Melli

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home