My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, February 16, 2007

Inkheart

An update on Cornelia Funk's Inkheart book... I finished it just today. It's fast and easy ready (duh, it's a young persons book). I enjoyed the story very much and yes, I can see this as a movie!

I was disappointed when I read of the character that Andy Serkis will be playing in the movie, he's going to be a villain. I was hoping he could spread his wings a bit more.

Inkheart movie: I was happy to read some of the others that will be in the movie such as Brendan Frasar and Helen Mirren. It sounds as if it will be a decent movie.

Upon reading an article on Inkheart and then opening book 2 Inkspell, it seems that Cornelia Funke wrote the part of "Mo", who is the father that can read characters out of a book, with Brendan Frasar in mind all along.

In the beginning when you open book 2 she writes:

To Brendan Fraser, whose voice is the heart of this book. Thanks for inspiration and enchantment. Mo wouldn't have stepped into my writing room without you, and this story would never have been told.

Having written a story of my own, I know how it feels to hear the voices in your head when you are writing dialogue (you can even see their expressions, because to you they have become nothing less then real)... I find it wonderful that she managed to have him for the part when Inkheart became a real movie.

The other thing worth mentioning with this book is that it's originally written in German and has obviously found it's English voice with Anthea Bell, who wrote the translation.

A book for the young it may be, but I think she has come up with something very original. (Although I haven't read that many young folks books so I could be wrong) I think I see her as one of her own Characters named Elinor.. a book collector and lover of books at heart.

Although there are no great wars between good and evil, it's there all the same in a much tamer way. I really thought the book was very clever and I'm curious to read on and see what she does next... though the wait for the last book is not one I look forward to.

The third book of the trilogy, Inkdawn, will be out this year, however it has to be translated into English sooooo Inkdawn probably will come out around Spring 2008. Sigh.. I hate waiting so long. (very good article if you click that link)

I would recommend this to young readers, even before I begin book 2.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you liked Inkheart - Although its a children's book, the villains are quite nasty!! It will be an interesting movie for sure!

3:40 PM  
Blogger SQT said...

I got distracted by another book and didn't start Inkheat until a couple of days ago. It's pretty good so far, but it does take awhile to get into the meat of the story. I think Cornelia Funke is a great storyteller though. I picked up The Theif Lord at the library and I'm looking forward to it. I like the books so well that I think I'll buy them rather than just get them from the library.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Worth seeing the movie for the cast that is planned. Mirren never does anything not worthwhile. And as for Brendan Fraser, I think he is so under-rated. He is great.

5:44 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

sqt: I think Funke has gotten to me lol.. I'm now reading Inkspell (book 2) Just the over all look and feel of the book is worth having LOL.. I feel like I belong in the book saying that LOL...

Lee: I have to agree about Mirren, so I can hope this movie will be pretty good..

4:22 PM  
Blogger DellaB said...

Hi Pat ... wow you write a good review... almost made me wish I was a young person (just kidding, there is not much that can make me wish that!)

Have you done that at all? for reward?
(write reviews, I mean)

:-)
Della

4:32 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Della: you jest?! lol.. ummm, no I don't really review anything.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home