My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Rambling...

Wednesday was a quiet day around the house, so I was able to finish the book Eldest.
I have to say that I think Paolini's writing improved somewhat in the second book. Although it may not be a great epic, I can say that I am looking forward to the third book to see how things come together and end.
I ordered two books from Amazon.com. Another young adults yarn... Inkheart, and the second book Inkspell.

I became curious about them in searches I did on Amazon, and then when I found out that they were making a movie of Inkheart, I decided I would go ahead and read them.
Since I have to wait a week or so for them to arrive I grabbed a book I had, that had been set aside (not read even page one of it), Balancing Act by Martin Gottfried,and decided I would read it while waiting for the new books to arrive.
This is an authorized biography of Angela Lansbury, an actress I've enjoyed for many years.

Most all of the time when I read, it's Fantasy books, but tossed in here and there I read an occasional Biography. I've read a few about the "original astronauts", and I remember reading An Open Book (John Huston's Biography) and a really enjoyable (small) book called Company of Heroes by Harry Carey Jr. ( At one time I loaned the Company of Heroes to DeForest to read...who, when he returned my book, left a note inside of it saying that he remembered everything Harry Carey described about making westerns back when San Fernando Valley, was still really a Valley!) I read that back in 1994.

You are probably thinking.. wow how can she remember what year she read that book?? I cheated. heh.. it's a signed copy of the book and Harry Carey wrote the year he signed it lol... shhhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone!
I guess you can tell that other then the astronauts the books all tend to be of people in show business. By now I'm sure you've figured out my interests in the original astronauts, movies and books.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Aren't those cover illustrations terrific on the 'young adult' books?

Thanks for the tips on the books, too, Deslily.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

well we all know one astronaut who is going to be involved in show business soon. I'm sure they'll make a made for TV movie about her wild wacky mind blowing actions of earlier this week

10:43 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

LOL! Well, I for one forgive your obsession with the actors/actresses -- because they have provided you with such interesting tales and more blog fodder than the average person could EVER hope for! LOL! I bet than Angela Lansbury book was good... I might have to read that. I DO like a good biography! Naomi has recommended several I need to get hold of too!

I've been meaning to ask -- how is your vision doing? I'm thinking it must be a lot better since you're reading so much!

8:34 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Lee: The cover art of a book helps make me read the inside of the dustcover, which in turn may or may not have me buy the book. Cover art, to me, is very important to the book.

Pamela: Yeah no kidding.. my main focus on them has always been the guys from Gemini, Apollo, and the Mercury programs.

Hi Melli: So far Angela's life is interesting lol.. but no, my eye is no better. Which is why I've been getting Hard Back books.. most seem to have larger print and many double spaced which helps alot! I have some new paperbacks which I've set aside for now. Thanks for asking!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Hootin Anni said...

Hi Deslily! I've been meaning to drop by and pay you many more visits than this one, but lately the days just aren't long enough. Sometimes life gets in the way. But, I'm not in the least ignoring your comments you have left me in the past. I want to let you know that I appreciate each and every one! You're a sweet lady, and leave complimentary comments all the time, much, much appreciated.

Thank you for the birthday wishes you left for me today too.

I see we both like biographies. Now this one, "Company of Heroes" sounds very interesting. I'll have to make sure I check it out to see if I can find it at my used bookstore. I'm sure since it's 1992 or more, it won't be on the bookstore shelves. Well, maybe it will. I'll make sure I remember to look for it tho.

Happy weekend.
Now, I gotta run over and find out what SCI FI character I am. *snort*

9:05 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Annie, and welcome!
Company of Heroes is a small book that describes the areas and how the men making westerns went about shooting them. Just so you know, in case you aren't into movies much. I read it for two reasons one is my interest in movies, the other was because Harry Carey Jr was in many movies I had seen PLUS he was on the old Spin And Marty segments that were on the Mickey Mouse Club... so I have a long memory of him. I was fortunate to later on meet both Harry Carey and his wife at an autograph show and be the reason he came and had a "reunion" with Spin and Marty!!
If you want to read those posts there are listed below..

http://herethereandeverywhere2ndedition.blogspot.com/2006/08/then-and-now.html

http://herethereandeverywhere2ndedition.blogspot.com/2005/10/one-more-adventure-of-spin-marty.html

12:48 PM  
Blogger DellaB said...

Thank you for the Angela Lansbury information, I am quite a fan, and I enjoy autobiographies too.

4:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home