My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Smeagol and Andy Serkis

I realize, that as of late, I seem to be either talking about books and movies or telling DeForest Kelley stories. Well... what can I say? There's not much else in my life besides that and/ or pity parties ... so I shoot for things I'm interested in or things that make me happy for my posts. Today, it will be books and movies.
As you may know I am going to a LOTR convention in Burbank CA in March.
One of the guests at the show is Andy Serkis.. he played Gollum in LOTR, both in voice and "actions".

When I checked on him in IMDb.com I found something interesting. He's filming a new movie called Inkheart. Some of you who read fantasy might recognize the name of a book by Cornelia Funke.
It just made me realize (again) how everyone jumps on the bandwagon of someone else's success. In this case a combination of Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Though a bit more Harry Potter since that is a "young adult" book. All are Fantasy and all are more then one book in length.
The first indication was how quickly they made the movie Eragon. That book didn't even come close to the popularity of Harry Potter before they sprang on it and made it into a movie.
And now another book (Inkheart) that's about to wind up a trilogy, and before they are all out... it will be another movie. I'm glad for Andy, but wonder about the choices make by the studios. I am assuming they choose first by popularity and then the story itself.
In this case, though I haven't read the book, what I have read on it makes it sound a bit like Neverending Story. Where a child is pulled into a story book, though not in the same way as Neverending Story. I just know with each and every write up I have found on the book, that is what pops first into my mind.
I do hope for Andy's sake that it turns out well.
(did anyone see him in Peter Jackson's King Kong?.. heh.. poor guy .. he got ate by a giant leech. *at least I think that's what it was!)
I'm still torn, not knowing if I should get Inkheart and it's following book or not. The write ups tend to sound like it's for YOUNG readers, even younger then "young adults" and after my rounds here with Eragon and now Eldest, I don't know if I want to jump right into another young persons book or not.
I have to put Paolini's books somewhere mid-stream. I am enjoying them to a degree. I haven't set it down and said "forget this!" but, neither am I constantly anxious to read the next chapter, which is how I judge a really good read. (when I don't want to put it down... or can't wait to get back to it)
So... I ask if anyone has read Inkheart and Inkspell by C.Funke? If so, would you recommend it??
And... do you think the making of such Fantasy movies is just because they finally have the technology for them? Or do you think they are finally realizing that Fantasy is as much wanted as Sci Fi??
One thing I hope they realize... that they need someone like Peter Jackson and his love of the story to make a movie something really special.
'till next time...
p.s. Thinking on my last comment: for his first ever fantasy, I think that Ron Howard did quite well with the movie Willow.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I haven't read any of these yet. At the rate that I read, I might not ever get to them. I do enjoy fantasy films though. The LOTR series was my favorite so far.

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that movies run in phases because of bandwagon jumpers. In '75, Star Wars came out and there was a slew of sci-fi movies that came out right after. The same now with fantasy.

Did you see the movie Aragon? It is at the cheap theater here and I am wondering if it is worth checking out.

10:59 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Mike: I first read the Hobbit and LOTR in my early 20's.. so I've been a fan a looooooooong time!

Jeff: Aragon was a character in LOTR and Eragon is the movie out about the boy Eragon and his Dragon.. I haven't seen it yet and actually haven't even heard any good or bad about the movie.. I certainly hope it's decent because it's the first of a trilogy.. IF they do what Harry Potter has done and continue the "series".

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed Inkheart and Inkspell. They are easy reads (like the first Harry Potter book). However - in NO way are they anything like NeverEnding story. The characters of the book are actually brought out of the book and into the real world through "magical" reading.

The characters are likable, the plot is original, but it definitely is a young adult's book....one you can read in a day. (some of the plot is a little intense for younger kids, I think)

1:28 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Karmyn: thank you for letting me know about Inkheart and Inkspell! I will probably get them now. I don't mind reading young adult books as long as it isn't "too young"..

1:39 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I am of no help to you, deslily...I rarely read fantasy. I'm a bit of a fan of autobiographies and biographies, myself. I'm way behind in my book reading at present.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

hey.. save 'em for when you are young agin. We can share a room, put our teeth in polident, our wigs in the top drawer, and read them aloud to each other. Ha Ha HA.

I can't wait for your trip -- you'll be sharing some fun stuff from that experience.

2:13 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Pam... i think i'd laugh but i already do that stuff! heh.. well..not ALL of it lol

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home