My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Two Down... One to Go



Just a few minutes ago I finished reading The Destruction of the Books by Mel Odom.


  • Hardcover: 384 pages
    Publisher: Tor Books (July 1, 2004)
    ISBN-10: 0765307235


  • I hadn't realized until I was putting the dust cover back on this one and taking it off of book 3 (Lord of the Libraries) that the cover art was done by Tim and Greg Hildebrandt. Somewhere I have an old art book by the Hildebrandt Brothers. I haven't heard their name mentioned in some time. I do remember that I very much liked their cover art for the Terry Brooks, Sword of Shannara series, which was probably why I bought their book, "The Art of The Brothers Hildebrandt" I think I will pull that book out and scan some of their work for another post.

    Anyway... book 2 begins 100 years after Wick returns to the Vault of all Known Knowledge (the Library). Wick is now the Grandmagister there, while Juhg (another halfling, and Wicks apprentice) is off on one of the ships that protects the island where the Library resides.

    When Juhg and his close ( human ) friend Raisho find out there is a book on a Goblin ship they set out to retrieve it and return it to the Library... but not without mishap! Once at the Library dangerous things occur and a secret is revealed.

    During Juhg's adventures I found a piece of humor used by Mr Odom, when Juhg, upon trying to help the ships captain from a grievous wound proclaims,

    "I'm a Librarian, not a doctor!"


    Hmmm, now why does that sort of phrase strike a cord with me? heh.


    This second book threw me a curve when I first began reading it. I was fully expecting another adventure with Wick as the main character, but it turned out to be Juhg. It took me some time to readjust. Once I did, the book was most enjoyable and comes up with a really exciting ending, making you look forward to the third installment to see how this will all end.

    So.. onward and upward. I plan to begin book 3, Lord of the Libraries , this afternoon sometime!



    3 Comments:

    Blogger chrisa511 said...

    I haven't read the Shannara books, but I really like the cover art as well...always have :)

    Guess what I'm reading right now...here's a hint..it starts with the letter "Kester"...

    2:44 PM  
    Blogger DesLily said...

    Chris: what a good boy are you! lol
    I drove my neighbor nuts bidding for me on Ebay to get a really decent copy of Sword of Shannara in the trade paperback size.. took a while but I finally got it! (I don't have Paypal so I couldn't bid myself) I get so upset that they change the cover art when they do reprints! grrrrrrrrrrrr

    7:04 PM  
    Blogger Irene said...

    Wow! Your book choices are fascinating. I'm impressed. Please don't stop with the sharing. ;p

    7:39 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home