My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Finding a Small Gem

One of the many books I have on my shelves is a book called A Quest Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic. (date: 2002 I believe) It's short stories. Something I rarely read, and I'm not even sure why I bought the book . (It's far from new)


Anyway, I am trying not to get into another book until the books I need to read for SQT arrive. I'm not a person to be into one book and set it down, read two others, and then go back to the original book. I know many can do that.. but I'm not one of them.


So... I pulled this book out, (blew the dust off of it) knowing it was short stories, and knowing I don't remember reading it long ago when I got it. (old age). I flip through it and stop when I see a story in there by Neil Gaiman called Chivalry. I read Stardust not long ago so decided I'd give the short story a try.


It was really cute! And what a premise! The story is about an elderly lady who goes into a "used" store, that sells anything and everything used. On one of her weekly trips into the store she finds the holy grail under an old used fur coat and buys it and takes it home. She cleans it up and puts it on her mantle.


A day or two later a Knight in shining armor shows up at her door and says that he is Sir Galaad and on a quest for the holy grail. He offers to trade her for the grail on her mantle and she refuses. He comes back each day with a new offer, and while in her home she sets him to helping her with her tasks.


Now, I don't want to finish by telling you what happens.. but I have to say of all the tales involving the finding of the Holy Grail.. this was the most original idea I've ever heard of! What a great idea that something so valuable or so historical could actually be sitting in front of everyone's eyes instead of being impossible to be found! It certainly makes you wonder.. just how many things do we miss because they are right in front of us, but we just aren't seeing them?


The story (to me) was a bit comical and I totally enjoyed this little story. Should you ever come across it but ALL MEANS don't skip it! Read it! And let it put a smile on your face.



4 Comments:

Blogger Booklogged said...

Sounds like a wonderful story, Deslily. Your little fairy statue in the picture is absolutely wonderful. I off to see if there's a copy of that book at bookmooch. Thanks for the good review.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I have that story! I was thinking of reading it for the RIP Short Story Sunday tomorrow, because I saw it reviewed somewhere else last week. I shall definitely read it now.

2:31 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

booklogged: it's full of short stories! That one just made me think, ya know?

Cath: it's totally cute and enjoyable, I think you will enjoy it!

2:35 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

That's one of my favorite Gaiman short stories :) I love that picture with the fairy statue, it's beautiful! I first read that story in his short story collection, Smoke and Mirrors. I think you'd really enjoy that collection. It's a good one to pull out every now and then when you're looking for just a quick little story or two to read. So many great stories in that one and all of his stories are so unique, like this one. I don't know where this man comes up with his ideas! He has two newer collections out now too: Fragile Things, which I'll be reading soon for the RIP challenge and M is for Magic which was just recently released and is a collection of short stories for young readers...That one actually has Chivalry in it too!

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home