My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, September 08, 2007

In Honor of Football Season

My buddy Chris did a post about Football season beginning...

As I read his excitement (and I'm sure many others feel the same) I found myself chuckling...

Is there something funny about football? Not at all.. or at least, not that I know of! But the longer I read his post, the more I chuckled.

You see.. I had a flashback. (we of the elderly generation do this now and then!). The last time I had a real interest in football, was when my kids were teenagers, and I was still married and lived in Florida. This folks is what is known as a way back flash back!

Whenever football was on the guys (my X and my sons) would be glued to the television. I (still trying to hang on to the fact that I was not just one of the guys) but wanting to still be with the family dutifully sat in the living room with them. However, I was generally either reading a book or crocheting,.. heh.

There was the exception to the rule though. And that was if the Rams were playing. You see.. well.. they had this gorgeous quarterback named Roman Gabriel.. (again, heh).


He.. just somehow.. made me look away from that book or crocheting to actually watch the football game! (imagine that!)

Roman Gabriel: The 1962 AFL Draft - December 2, 1961
First Pick: Roman Gabriel, QB, North Carolina State
1962-72 Los Angeles Rams
1973-77 Philadelphia Eagles (16 total playing seasons)

(no I'm not football smart.. I looked up that information !)

After a number of years of this, I nearly began to understand what was going on! Lord help me.. but .. I couldn't help myself.

When I went to find a photo of Roman for this post I also found the below picture..

Hello?!! Dang! He still looks great! (but he's still way younger than me! For some reason they never do catch up! sigh) I wonder if he'll ever come around my area doing signings??! Ah well...

So.. that's my one and only Football post! Now I feel like one of the guys!


....'till next time...

7 Comments:

Blogger Melli said...

ROFL! Nooooo... they never catch up! And neither do WE! I have pictures of ME with MY football hero's - Chris Hamburger and Sonny Jurgensen! I wish my scanner worked - I would counter-post with my own! Someday! I DO remember Roman Gabriel though - and yea... he was a hottie - and a good quarterback! Soooo... obviously he's written a book! I wonder what ELSE he's done since then... hm?

1:09 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Ha! I have to admit that I don't know Roman Gabriel :/

I'm pissed at football already! The Saints played so horribly on Thursday! If that's any indication of the rest of the season, I'm going to be one cranky blogger. Yes, I'm one of those guys who yells at the TV ;) Tonight's an LSU game though, and they never fail me...so hopefully tonight's better!

2:24 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Melli: I dunno what else he's done lol.. but I saw on Amazon someone wants 89.00 for a used copy of his book.. I don't think I want to read it LOL.

Chris: Ya mean all football watchers aren't also into knowing all the OLD stuff? Did you hear of Joe Nameth or Terry Badshaw??

5:36 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I do indeed know Nameth and Bradshaw ;) Terry Bradshaw is actually a sportscaster now! So I'm very familiar with him.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Bibi said...

Method in your madness, huh. ;-)

12:37 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I remember the very first game I watched with my father when I was a wee lad. We watched Jets/Dolphins on our black and white tv. He wanted the Jets to win and I picked the Dolphins because I liked their uniforms. To this day they are my favorite team. (Well, the Jags too, since they are from my hometown!)

8:56 AM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

the greatest game on earth.

1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home