My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Revisiting Some Favorite Characters

RIP...
Although Carl said this book could be used for the RIP Challenge, in all honesty it doesn't fit the Challenge. I did finish the 4 books I said I would read, and hoped to add this as "extra credit", but alas it's not to be. Maybe I can fit it another book before the end of October... maybe.


Dragons of the Highlord Skies
Hardcover: 456 pages
Publisher: Wizards of the Coast (July 10, 2007)
ISBN-10: 0786943335


I believe I have read every Dragonlance book that Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman have written! And after reading this one I can say I felt quite at home! I love, love, love the Dragonlance characters!

Originally I thought this book would center around Kitiara (rider of the blue dragon Skie) and the Death Lord, Soth. They were both in the book but most of the book concerned Kitiara and her power struggles (trials and tribulations) to remain and further her ambitions above and beyond her Highlord status. (with a bit of rival/ jealousy still on hand towards Tanis half-elf.)

Emperor Ariakis sends Kitiara to make sure the Solamnic knight Derek Crownguard hears about, then quests after a dragon orb which is being hidden by Feal-Thas (a very powerful elf wizard).

Loathing the task but having no choice, Kitiara goes to Feal-Thas's Ice Palace in the dangerous land of Icereach to face the wizard and set things in motion.
Crownguard and his companions join up with Sturm, Tasselhoff, Laurana and Flint. This part I was glad to read since it brought back old friends to me. They head off to find the magical Dragon Orb. And finally at the end of the book Kitiara meets Lord Soth to see if she can live through spending a night at the Death Lord's Castle.

For me this was a fast read.. I love Dragonlance, like I already said and I can't get enough of the characters Weis and Hickman have made their own, and to me they can do no wrong when it comes to this particular group of characters. It also made me realize that I really want to reread the first 6 books they did . (like I need that with the huge TBR pile!) But I know I need to get to them .. soon. I miss them.

I've read a few reviews on this book and it seems it's hit or miss for those who have read other books by these authors. For me.. I liked it! Alot! those 456 pages just flew by for me.

I guess everyone can always find "something" wrong with almost any book.. and if I had to find one with this book I would say that I would have liked to have more of Lord Soth with Kitiara in it.

Having said that I am not sorry in the least that I read this. And yes..eventually I will most likely reread it... but for now I have to wait until next summer for the 3rd installment to come out. That one is about Raistlin!! Oh yeah! The guy you love to hate! I can't wait!

2 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Pat...that "unknown" bird is not a gouse finch....the one with the red head is....I will be posting some more pictures of that bird...he has a long tail....
So many came while the Agave was flowering...it was amazing!

12:37 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Good morning Pat:-) Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment...I'm glad Pam sent you over! It's so lovely to meet a fellow autograph picture collector:-) Up to last year I was still writing letters to celebrities but I'm afraid this year I haven't sent any requests out, just been so busy with other things! I also find it harder getting a true autograph instead of just a preprint...not like the old days! You'll have to post about your collection one day and let me know:-) xox

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home