My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, September 01, 2007

So.. you want to be a Wizard?

Another book bites the dust...


So You Want to be a Wizard


  • Paperback: 408 pages

  • Publisher: Magic Carpet Books (October 1, 2003)

  • ISBN-10: 0152049401




  • As I seem to do more often now, I choose some YA books when I want some light reading, in between others that might be called High Fantasy, or my occasional Biography.


    Publishers Weekly describes it thus:
    As two young wizards embark on a mission to preserve the universe they encounter an eerie version of Manhattan.


    This book could actually be used as one of the RIP Challenge books! It was eerie, it was spooky, and at times creepy!


    A young girl named Nita, who is getting tired of being beaten up by a bully, runs to hide in a Library, down in the basement of kids books. While there she recalls how she's read all of the books in the room, when as her hand, as she lovingly runs her fingers over them, comes to a book she never saw. When she pulls it out she reads the title: So You Want To Become a Wizard. She chuckles, thinking this book is a joke of some sort and opens the book. Upon her nemeses leaving she takes the book home with her.


    Still considering it some sort of joke she reads the Oath to become a Wizard aloud and yep.. she becomes a wizard.


    Along with another young friend named Kit (a boy one year younger than her) who also found this book by different means, they come together to try to discover just what it is they can do.


    During one of her beatings from the bully a gift she loved very much, a space pen, is stolen and Nita wants it back desperately.


    Without going into too much more detail I will say that the kids find their selves going through a timeslide in Manhattan to find that this world was much different. Very Dark, the living things, such as trees dead, cars that think (hatred) and an evil that has stolen the Book of Night with Moon, and they must find the book and bring it back to save the world.


    If I were a kid this would keep me up with the creeps!


    I have to say although it was really well written, and it was a good read.. it would be a book I probably won't read a second time. But then.. I'm as far from being a kid as ..well.. waaaaay tooooo far!



    4 Comments:

    Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

    I've loved the Greg Swearingen covers on the Duane books for a long time. I had no idea the books had been written that long ago! Glad you enjoyed it...and you are a kid at heart, which is all that really matters!

    7:31 PM  
    Blogger Stephanie said...

    This looks really good! I love YA books too. I just finished a new YA Vampire book called Marked. Pretty great start to a new series!

    11:53 AM  
    Blogger Jill said...

    I loved this book - I read it years ago, and I've since read the others in the series. In fact, I've had the latest one sitting in the TBR pile for a couple weeks, and the reason I haven't gotten to it is I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go back and reread the others, since I have vague memories of where I left off. One thing I like about these books is that the characters age and grow as the series progresses, and even though dark and sad things happen, there is a sense of warmth and friendship that prevails.

    11:06 PM  
    Blogger Ana S. said...

    Great review, Deslily. I heard about this book a while ago and I've been wanting to read it ever since. Thanks for reminding me of it!

    6:43 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home