My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, October 13, 2007

A Return to the Moor




The Moor


Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: Picador; Reprint edition (October 30, 2007)
ISBN-10: 0312427395



This is yet another read for RIP II ! I didn't think I'd read the four I committed to, so this is a surprise for even me!


If you like Sherlock Holmes you will enjoy this book.


If you like Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles... you will enjoy this book.


Although Holmes is not the central star of this book I promise you that if you ever saw any of the old black and white movies you will still hear Basil Rathbone's voice when Holmes speaks!


But in truth this book is more centered around Mary Russell... Holmes' wife.


"Something is wrong with the Moor" Sabine Baring-Gould said, "I want you to discover what it is, and stop it." "...the Hound has been seen again, running free on the Moor."


And so begins a new Holmes-Russell mystery on the Moor.....


For whatever reason, I couldn't just speed through this book, but I definitely enjoyed it! Laurie R King's writing is just about what you would expect for a Holmes story.. but her depiction of Mary Russell was nothing short of funny!


As Holmes and Russell approach Lew House: "So it was that we approached Lew House, with me limping and slurping in my boots while beside me walked my partner and husband, his only dishevelment after three days of moor-crawling the day's light stubble on his jaw and a high-tide mark on the mud around the lower half of his otherwise clean boots. He looked as if he were returning from a gentle day's shooting; I seemed to have spent the day wrestling a herd of escaped pigs through a bog."


Her descriptions of people and places and feelings are nothing short of fantastic. The book had it's creepy times, which I was grateful for since I wanted this book to be one I could read for the challenge. Yet time and again I couldn't help but laugh at Mary Russells sense of humor. I think the coupling of these two is really a good way to have more Holmes mysteries.


Ms. King made many references to The Baskerville Hounds and to Watson and even Conan Doyle in her writing... you felt as if you were back with old acquaintances.


"The hands of my pocket watch crept around, and the powers of darkness moved over the face of the moor. Midnight came and midnight passed, and neither of us had moved or spoken for some time, when I began to feel a strange sensation in the air around me. Looking back, it was probably only the psychic eeriness of the night combined with the physical sensation brought by the electric charges of the storm, building and ebbing, but it began to feel almost as if there were another person in the rock shelter with us-- or if not a person, then at least a Presence. It did not seem to me, as Holmes had suggested, an evil presence, nor even a terribly powerful one, but I thought it old, very old, and patient. It felt, I decided, as if the moor itself were holding watch with us. Holmes did not seem aware of anything other than discomfort and impatience, and I did not care to mention my fancies to him. I was, however, very grateful for his warm bulk beside me."


I really enjoyed this book and will most likely order another of her books about Mary Russell and Holmes.


**********************************


short update on my foot: I broke a bone! Now I have to get a boot cast.. I am not a happy camper!

7 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

That's bad news about your foot - I hope it heals quickly.

I haven't read any of the Laurie King 'Mary Russell and Holmes' books so read your review with a great deal of interest. I remember the Basil Rathbone films, also the series the BBC did in the 1960s, *and* the wonderful Jeremy Brett depiction of Holmes through the 80s and 90s. I think I will add this author to my 2008 book plans as it sounds like I would love the humour.

12:54 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Oh no Pat :( That's horrible! (about your foot of course, not the book) If anything, it will allow you lots and lots of reading time while you prop it up. I hope it gets well soon. What a bummer!

12:58 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Sorry to read about your foot...It is incredible how easily these things can happen....Take Good Care!

That book sounds very very interesting and fun! It is amazing how certain characters of Lit. are so fascinating that other writers have the need to write more about them, extending their lives into another realm....I always loved those Holmes films with Rathbone and Nigel Bruce...!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I'm a big Holmes' fan. Maybe I should get myself a copy of this book...thanks for the tip, Deslily. :)

8:44 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: It's really a good book! If you like Holmes you'll enjoy this.

Chris: yeah right, like I can take off for the next 6 weeks.. excuse me while I have a fit of laughter lol.

Naomi: I love the old Holmes movies! Watch them whenever they come on.. of course I wish they's show more than just Hound of the Baskervilles more often lol

Lee: I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the book. Love Holmes movies but never read a Holmes book before

9:58 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I really enjoyed "The Hound of the Baskervilles", so this is definitely one I will be looking for! Thanks for the great review.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I can't believe my wife has never read King's books, especially considering that she likes mysteries and Mary Russell was her name prior to my marrying her.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home