My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, November 30, 2007

Part 2: The Subtle Knife

Part II:
The Subtle Knife...


Well... I finished Part II today! And I have to say, although book I started off with a bit of disappointment, it hasn't slowed down since !
After a scary beginning, when I thought they were going to do to me in book II what they did in book I (100 pages that could have easily been only 50).. the story introduced a new character in the form of a young boy named Will.
From the moment they met, in a world that was not Lyra's nor was it Will's, they managed to get in and out of trouble constantly! When IN trouble it was a bit scary... and then the unexpected would happen to them and it was off to get into MORE trouble!
I like the character of Lyra (the star of the books) and they have brought in other interesting characters that make you like them despite who or what they are. (Witches for instance)
Eventually, Lyra and Will go in search for the Subtle Knife, not knowing why it's so important. They soon find out.. and after having two fingers cut off in a fight Will becomes the "bearer" of the knife.
Pursued by Spectors, Evil children, Lyra's evil mother and creatures never before heard of they adventure out to find Will's father.
I have to say that I do enjoy the characters and the adventure that's being told. As of the end of the Subtle Knife there are now Three "worlds" that are functioning in this story... and the Subtle Knife is able to "cut through" to any of them!
I'm glad I purchased this book.. and now I really want to see the movie!!!
Now, on to Part III:
The Amber Spyglass...

6 Comments:

Blogger Kucki68 said...

I need to get my copy out, too. But first I have to read the newest Grantvile (Ring of Fire) book that I got yesterday: Ram Revolution. The beginning is promising.

5:56 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Hmmm...ok, I'm kinda wanting to add this to the wishlist now....

9:30 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kucki68: it's definately better than I thought it would be.

Chris:I do have to say hearing about the "ban" on this book put a bit of a damper on it for me. If I hadn't heard about that I'd enjoy it even more! because although there are religious things going on in this book, it's still just a fantasy fiction adventure... and that's how I see it.

3:58 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Deslily, Not to get into those subjects too much on here, but I tend to ignore those types of things when they pop up. It was the same when Harry Potter came out...every kid was going to practice witchcraft. I'm not saying that Pullman is completely innocent here, but I don't think that kids are going to pick up on all of that and suddenly abandon religion. It's just him expressing his beliefs as many authors do. What it boils down to is exactly what you said, it's a fantasy FICTION adventure. I see it as the same.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

Yeah, I completely agree with what Chris said. Surely the story reflects his beliefs, but there's so much more to it than that. And I don't think kids who read it will become atheists, just like kids don't become Christian or Muslim or Hindu by reading books by Christian, Muslim or Hindu authors.

Anyway, I'm so glad you're enjoying it! And now on to book 3...it's my personal favourite, but then again, people who dislike the series dislike this one most of all, so I'll refrain from saying "you'll love it!" Just a warning: I cried. A lot. The last 200 pages or so are SO emotional. I look forward to your final review!

10:01 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Nymeth: I'm just at that point now.. I also hate seeing a series end when I'm enjoying it!

I'm with you on the fact that I've never met anyone that a book or movie has changed how they feel about their religion! Which makes you wonder why the bother to ban things lol.. oh well.. I should be done with this book soon!

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home