My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas came...






It seems that the same Fire Houses that came around just last week, were going around and giving out some presents to some less fortunate kids, and when I heard sirens ..again.. I looked out and this is what I saw! Besides continually trying to save lives they have big hearts wouldn't you say?!!

So.. Christmas came..
Besides the 3 Stroud books from my girlfriend Annie, and the ARC book from Laurie R King, (which I am reading right now) I also managed to get an Amazon gift certificate from my son and daughter in law!! Today I intend on sending for the new McCaffrey book, Dragon Harper, and the new James A Owen book, Search for the Red Dragon. After that I have enough left over to get Dragonhaven ! (and I don't have to spend a cent!!!)
So, it was a book kind of Christmas! (no complaints here!) My brother and David gave me money. (always a good gift!) So of course I made a small order from Bookcloseouts (cheap!) Heh.. Ordered 3 books.. Rocketman,(Pete Conrad's ride to the Moon) Hood, and a book on Peter Jackson. So... my TBR pile will have grown considerably!!
Now, strangely, one might think I am going to read one new book after another.. and normally, this would be true... but.. for some time now I've had this urge to read some old friends. (re reads) and as soon as I am done with what I am reading now, (Touchstone) I think I will grab a hold of an old friend and do a little rereading. And then some new.. and then some rereads.
I think I've read so many new books this year (and have enjoyed just about every single one), that I feel as if I am loosing the books that got me to love reading so much. I miss so many characters lately, and I want them back, firm in my mind again. There are a few trilogies I want to reread so I really think I'm going to start that and just alternate back and forth between new and old for a while.
I will also cut back on new purchases, at least until March, as I am trying to save some money so I might go to the Trek Convention due around the 7th of March. So cross your fingers that I can accomplish this ! (of course this does NOT mean that I won't continue adding to my wish list!! heh.) So.. we shall see ...
Anyway, Christmas was quiet and good..(the only Christmas movie I saw today was Patrick Stewarts version of Scrooge) just the way I hoped it would be, and now it's on to the New Year! (groan) I can't believe another year is gone!
I hope everyone had a most wonderful Christmas, and that the year to come is the best one ever!

9 Comments:

Blogger Ana S. said...

I'm glad to hear you had a good Christmas :) I know what you mean about missing certain characters. I've been wanting to revisit some old favourites lately too. I need to make time for it in the new year. Of course, the insane amount of challenges I joined doesn't help...

I hope you make it to that Star Trek convention... it sounds like a lot of fun!

9:28 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi nymeth: yes, christmas was good.. I hope i get to the convention too lol.. just dunno..costs alot and I have to try to justify that!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Glad that you had a wonderful Christmas.

I have been in a reading slump for the end of the year. I have the same two books that I started reading over a month ago, taunting me because I've yet to finish them!

11:26 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Glad you had a good Christmas Pat!! You have some really great firefighters around you, huh? And books! All those books! I'm so happy that your Christmas was filled with them :) Hope you enjoy getting to revisit your old friends and I hope you get to make it to the Trekkie convention!

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What?? The ONLY movie you saw was Stewart's verison of A Christmas Carol? You mean you missed one of the 18,000 showings of A Christmas Story? Now you'll have to wait until next year to find out if little Ralphie shot his eye out! :)

Glad you had a great Christmas and I wish you the happiest of new years, too!

12:40 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris: (1st chris!) You need to find a more interesting book! lol but maybe with the holidays winding down they will get your interst again?

Chris(m'bubba boy) yeah the firefighters seem like a good bunch of men!

the books are all good! Can't wait to get them. (to put them in the tbr pile LOLLOL) As for the trek thing.. well..i'm having a hard time justifying the cost, ya know? So..it all depends. One day I may wake up and utter famous words, like: F*ck it! and order the ticket! I always feel guilty as heck when I do that though..*sigh* I can't win for loosing!
It's hard when you KNOW without a doubt that you need to NOT blow money for mere enjoyment.. but then you hear of people unexpectedly dieing before having much joy in their life.. honestly, it's a toss of the coin, and either way I get depressed for my choice.

12:48 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Patrick!!! nono.. I saw Christmas Story.. just not on Christmas Day! lol.. I can't NOT see it each year or Scott Schwartz (Flick) would shoot me! lol

12:50 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Christmas was good here! I got a ton of Borders gift cards and I can't wait to hit the bookstore again!

5:58 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

My fingers and toes are crossed...I want you to go to that convention! Not only will I be glad that you are having an amazing time, but I want to see pictures and read your first hand account!

Great books, it will be interesting to see how your P.J. bio stacks up to the one I got.

I consider myself as a bit of an oddity in that I frequently re-read books. That alone has cut in to me experiencing new authors over the years because I just love visiting these old friends. However, as I started my Year End Review post that will go up in a few days, I realized that, barring audio versions of Neil Gaiman's books that I picked up this year, I have not re-read any books. They have all been new-to-me experiences. I was quite shocked by that fact.

That will be changing in the coming year though as I have several books calling out for me to come back and visit with them for awhile.

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home