My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, December 14, 2007

Cold Weather and Reading Go Together

Well, New Jersey can now be added to the ranks of those that received sleet and ice!


A Monstrous Regiment of Women: by Laurie R King
Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Picador; Reprint edition (October 2, 2007)
ISBN-10: 0312427379

I cannot tell you how much I am enjoying this series of books! Never did it enter my mind to read Sherlock Holmes or this character of Mary Russell! I have Carl to thank for this! His Halloween Challenge asking us to read Halloween type books or Gothic.. well, I saw this title "the Moor" and figured it had to be somewhat scary and so I bought an old used copy and began to read... I have to thank Carl for pushing me into finding a really great set of books!
Laurie R King has surely made a "female" Sherlock Holmes in the name of Mary, and then brought her and Holmes together.
After The Beekeepers Daughter in which Holmes meets Mary at a teenager and tutors her highly intelligent mind into becoming a detective "such as himself", King then takes them on a series of cases to solve.. Along the way a "sort of" love story also enfolds. In all of the pages where these two characters are together Kings writing is nothing short of brilliant! So far I've read 3 of her series and found myself thoroughly enjoying each one.
In A Monstrous Regiment of Women, A series of murders claims members of a strange woman's organization's wealthy young female volunteers, and Mary, with Holmes in the background, investigates, little knowing what danger she personally faces.
Along with the mystery to be solved Holmes and Mary are realizing they are falling in love... this is surely the strangest "courtship" you will ever read ! .. I loved it!
Of the 3 of Kings books that I've read I still have to say I enjoyed The Moor the best, followed by The Beekeepers Daughter and now this one. Next up, I have yet one more of her books called A Letter of Mary.

9 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

I can't wait to read these! It'll probably be like 2011 by the time I get to them though :p

You're finally getting ice and we're finally getting temperatures that aren't in the 80's! Right now it's 62 degrees! Woohoo...that's cold for us...isn't that sad :(

12:34 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: oh.. did I mention that "this mom" believes in spanking?! pllssttt!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

The covers I got aren't half as nice as these American ones. I think I shall go into a sulk.

And your Christmas countdown is really pretty, Pat. But it's scaring me half to death!!! Nine days to Christmas and I haven't even put my brussel sprouts on to boil yet...

7:09 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: I'll be right over! I love brussel sprouts!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I can take sprouts or leave them but you can't have Christmas lunch without them in the UK. And they must be cooked to death...

Will e.mail you over the weekend. :-)

7:22 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: I told you I am half English! That must be my English half lol lol.. I like them not mushy.. but not hard either, then saute finely diced up onions in melted butter and toss them in it! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. of course a few hours later I can't stand myself LOL LOL

7:25 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Oh that sounds like quite a nice way to eat sprouts. I must try that.

*Grinning* at your last comment. heehee

3:56 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I'm so happy for you that you are getting the advanced reading copy of that next book! That is wonderful!

6:55 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

A female Sherlock Holmes? That does sound intriguing. I'm going to be adding these to my list.

cjh

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home