My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

From the Corners of My Mind..



I am watching the View on television while at the computer. The topic they are talking about is being a celebrity and how fans ask for photo's and such when they are out and about the town they live in. The topic went a bit farther when Joy mentioned being at an airport and when she had her luggage being scanned and such the lady watching the machine noticed her and began to talk to her. Joy mentioned the fact that she wished she'd watch the scan for bombs rather than notice her!
When she talked about the airport it brought a memory to mind.. a time when I was at a convention DeForest was doing. It was to be one day in Tampa Fla. and the second day in Ft Lauderdale (I think).. anyway it was one day on each coast of Fla. I was to fly with De and Carolyn in a small propeller (38 passenger) driven plane from Tampa to Ft Lauderdale
When we were going thru the scans, De set off the alarm. Carolyn and I chuckled. It seems De had metal on his cowboy boots... but the folks dealing with the alarm kept him chatting a bit longer than necessary, and of course, (but it wouldn't be done now!) wound up not making him take off his boots.
Then we got to when we were entering the plane. Again, Carolyn and I went in first, followed by De. Well, we thought he was following! About half way down to the plane we realized De was not behind us and we backtracked. We stopped as soon as we had sight of him... which was at the ticket holders, who had his ear, chatting about how much they love Star Trek and "especially" Dr McCoy. Again, Carolyn and I stood there chuckling. Well.. I chuckled.. Carolyn giggled. Which made it worse for me, because Carolyn's giggle just made me laugh harder.
De remained the southern gentleman he has always been and he stood there until they finally let him go.
Now, let me say this.. I was less than thrilled to be going on an airplane with propellers! De and Carolyn picked up this fact rather quickly! I think it was when I said something like: "oh shit I hope they don't fall off".. heh.
Once in the plane I was sitting several rows in back of De and Carolyn, who of course were sitting in (and I use this term loosely!) first class. Which was nothing more than 8 seats divided by a curtain, which they did not close.
After we got into the air, Carolyn turned to find me and called out for me to come up to them. There were empty seats and I kneeled on the one in front of them to talk. Every few words I'd say I'd peek out the window at the propeller... Carolyn would giggle and De would smirk. "did it fall off yet", one or the other would ask. I'd mumble something like "smartass", which would set Carolyn to giggle yet again.
Finally De asked the definitive question:
"So, Pat, what would you do if the propeller DID fall off?"
I was straight faced and looking right at him, only arms length away...
"You mean AFTER I sh*t in my pants?"
Guffaws followed and we all laughed our way to Ft. Lauderdale.

The above memory all came to me because of watching the View... Thank you "the View" and especially Joy for mentioning celebrity and airline in the same sentence!

Any happy memory is a good memory!

9 Comments:

Blogger Bookfool said...

Ah, memories. I still hate those little propeller planes. There was a time when I used to get on a standby list and fly the 90 miles from my home to my then-boyfriend's on the "company jet". It was a prop plane and scared the peewaddin' out of me, but they had free Goldfish crackers and Coke. I nibbled and cringed.

11:44 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Ha! That's a great story :) It's great that you have so many wonderful memories with them! Personally, I'll never step foot on a propeller driven plane! Don't have to worry about that too much now, thank god!

1:21 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

bookfool.. I think I went for the hard stuff!.. and I RARELY drink! lol

Chris: it sure wasn't my first choice!.. but then I figured if we went down I'd "go" with great company!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

That is indeed a good memory...a 'great' one actually, and one that I am pleased that you shared with us. I love that picture of them, it is wonderful.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

What a lovely picture of De and his wife. I enjoyed reading your lovely post too, such joyous memories. They sound like such a wonderful couple.

6:09 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl and Cath: They were very special people.. married over 50 yrs and still held hands, still in love!

6:47 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I saw that episode of The View...(Was that yesterday??? OY!)
Anyway, I thought Whoopi made some very good points about this phenomenom...! And that sometimes it is inappropriate to ask for an autograph...I think Sherry's feelings about this expresses exactly what is screwed up about the whole thing here in 2007-almost-2008...It is the ME ME ME...
"WHAT I WANT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYTHING ELSE and I want this NOW" philosophy that prevails these days. Where the Paparazzi are charecterized as "put upon" by celebrities NOT co-operatng with them and what THEY--The Media, want....HELLO? I think it is absolutely horrible. There is a mean spiritedness that now prevails which I personally find frightening and abhorent...!
I keep seeing the film..(in my minds eye) of "DAY OF THE LOCUSTS"...Right. The Paparazzi are like Locusts, as are some fans....Unreasoning; Without any conciounse...!

As to your story of the plane...well..LOL! All I can say is, "ME TOO!"

8:38 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Now that is some funny sh*t ;)

9:48 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi: DeForest mostly managed to avoid the paparazzi simply by staying home! He did his own food shopping/ banking etc but the stores he frequented knew him and for the most part left him alone, which was nice. If magazines and news people would stop paying for photo's you'd sure find the paparazzi out of business pretty quick!

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home