My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Dragons, and More Dragons!



It seems that Cath found a book challenge that (for me) is a real no brainer! It's called "Here be Dragons"....I read more books with Dragons in them than anything else!
Admittedly, this isn't a challenge for me, but I will enter it anyway, since others will be reviewing other books with dragons, maybe I'll hear of some that I didn't know about. (like I need more for my wish list?... hell no! hahaha)
The Challenge is being held at Stray Talk. You can click on the link to see if you too would like to join this Challenge. It's to read 3-5 books from January- June with dragons in them.
Since it is written that re-reads count, and because I didn't start Dragonflight until after January 1st... I'm in! So here's a few I expect to read during those months:

Dragonflight: Anne McCaffrey
Dragonquest: Anne McCaffrey
The White Dragon: Anne McCaffrey
Dragonsong: Anne McCaffrey
Dragonsinger: Anne McCaffrey
Dragondrums: Anne McCaffrey
and for good measure Dragonhaven: Robin McKinley

Yeah, yeah.. anyone who reads my blog knows I am reading those books! I told you, for me it was a no-brainer!! It's kinda hard to resist a no-brainer, heh.
For the record, I will say it's been many years since I re-read the Pern series, so I am already enjoying the first one as much as ever! Dragonflight is even keeping me up past my bedtime reading! Sheesh! You'd think I'd never read it before!
I wish I could remember when I first read these books. I still have the old paperback I bought.. it's yellow and getting quite brittle (so I replaced it with a new tpb) . I looked on the inside to see if I could tell what year the old books was. First copywrite was 1968.. 16th printing was 1980..so I can't really tell what year I bought it. (my guess would be about 1970. And the first person to say "I wasn't born yet" I will search down and haunt you!) My first "replacement" was a Doubleday hardback that contained the first 3 novels. This is the 3rd or 4th time I've read the books.
Listen to this! : back then (wa-a-a-a-ay back) the paperback price was only $2.25 !! Oh man! Don't we wish mass paperbacks were that price now?!!!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for joining the challenge!

I've added you to the list of participants and will be looking forward to reading your reviews.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Sounds like fun!! Now, you will have to come visit my blog and see my new post. Have you read the Erec Rex books?? Might be something you would like!!

1:16 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

love: this challenge is one I'm surprised no one else has ever done!

Steph: Maybe I'll just shoot myself now and get it over with! *groan*

2:16 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I'm going to sit down this winter and read the Harry Potter books again.

A good read is never wasted on a 2nd time through (or even a third)

3:41 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

pamela: Those will be on my list of rereads for next year I think. I don't feel removed from them yet.

5:51 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

What an awesome challenge idea!! I'm afraid I can't join anymore right now though :/ I have way too much on my plate right now! This is right up your alley though. I'll have to follow the reviews. I thought about you while I was in Texas. We were in Michael's (the craft store) and they had a whole bunch of dragon sculptures! Go figure, you were the first person who popped into my head :) I told Megan, "Deslily would love these!" She said, "who the hell is Deslily?" I laughed like crazy...She knew who you were when I told her "you know...Pat, the lady who's book I read" We had a good laugh that we call each other by blog names in real life.

2:32 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

You're right, you HAD to join that one!

5:34 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: I might not have joined that challenge had I not begun to read the dragonriders of pern, and know I am determined to reread all of them.
Michaels has dragon sculptures?? we have Michaels out here too, but the closest one to me is about 30-40-minutes away. dang! lol don't suppose you took a photo of them huh? hahaha

Debi: yep.. not a real choice in joining this challenge! LOL I guess I love dragons the way most young girls love horses. Not sure why that is.. but I do blame Anne McCaffrey for my love of dragons!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

That challenge is definitely perfect for you! Too fun!

Every time I go into a used book store and gaze at the paperbacks I wish that prices were still 50 cents and that I made what I make now. Imagine how full my house would be with books right now!!!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I wondered if the temptation would be too much, heehee. ;-D 'Twill be an easy one for you though, Pat, and those are all my favourite Pern books so I think you're going to have a blast and I'm already looking forward to reading about them.

My old Pern books got pinched by my eldest daughter when she was in her teens and she still has them. I bought them again for my own reading, either secondhand or new. They're worth it.

11:07 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: I thought of that too! hahaha ahhhh, but we'd be happy!!

Cath: I am on my 3rd set of these books. paperbacks just don't hold up! I find it really hard to believe that this particular set of books hasn't been rereleased in hardback!! There have been a number of books that have.. like the first 6 Dragonlance series. I do think the publishing company would NOT loose money if they put them back out in hardback! That plus they are working on a Pern movie which will bring them all back to wanting to read Pern plus new younger folks that never read them before. I'd be first in line for the hardbacks!!!

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home