My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Bringing Back another Friend

I'm going back to another series to reread!..
This will be the Belgariad Series by David Eddings. I had to replace my old paperbacks (they turned a rancid color of rust inside) with two very large hardbacks put out by Doubleday. Book one contains the first three books, so I will report on them as individual books.. the first book is called:



I don't think I've reread this series in something like 15 years! Hello?! Duh! I remember the basics of course, but I looked at these books the other day (trying to decide which series I would read next) and suddenly I found myself wondering.
"Hmmm, " I said to myself.
"I know I love Belgarath from this series.. but I've quite forgotten why!" (horror crept across my face!)
"I remembered why I loved Masterharper Robinton before I reread Pern... but I can't recall why I kiddingly went around for years after I read the Belgariad series saying that I was engaged to Belgarath!" (obviously, he impressed me..doh!)
So I decided to reread this series to remind myself what it was about Belgarath that impressed me so much. I picked up the book yesterday and began to read.
It didn't take long... Belgarath appears early into the book as a "storyteller" who comes now and then to tell his stories to Aunt Pol and Garion. Eddings writes thus:
Not long after, in the endless noon of Garion's boyhood, the storyteller appeared once again at the gate of Faldor's farm. The storyteller, who seemed not to have a proper name as other men do, was a thoroughly disreputable old man. The knees of his hose were patched and his mismatched shoes were out a the toes. His long-sleeved woolen tunic was belted about the waist with a piece of rope, and his hood, a curious garment not normally worn in that part of Sendaria and one which Garion thought quite fine with its loosely fitting yoke covering shoulders, back and chest, was spotted and soiled with spilled food and drink. Only his full cloak seemed relatively new. The old storyteller's white hair was cropped quite close, as was his beard. His face was strong with a kind of angularity to it, and his features proved no clue to his background. He did not resemble Arend nor Cherek, Algar nor Drasnian, Rivan nor Tolnedran, but seemed rather to derive from some racial stock long since forgotten. His eyes were a deep and merry blue, forever young and forever full of mischief.
Ah yes, it's all beginning to come back to me already!!! I'll report back at the end of book one! (which will probably be tomorrow.. book one is not very long 234 pgs and I started it two days ago)

5 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

It is so much fun and so satisfying to revisit old favorites. It has been long enough that these might feel somewhat like new reads for you. I hope they are even better than you remember them.

8:43 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: The same thing happened to me when i reread Pern.. I can't stop reading it! It's always the characters that make them "my favorites"..and of course how well the author wrote about them.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I seriously need to read this series! I have them all sitting nicely on my shelf, but I never seem to get to them... I am the same way with Anne McCaffrey, though, I own them but haven't read them yet!

11:14 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kailana: Pern, the Belgarian series and Dragonlance are my absolute favorite books! To me they all came across as books with characters that you just wanted to read more and more about. I have been unable to loose these characters from these books over many MANY years. I don't know if they'd stand up as strongly to others that read them... But they sure have fantastic characters and great stories for them to be in.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I'm pretty sure I've never heard of the Belgariad Series before but Belgarath does sound kind of familiar for some reason.

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home