My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Pawn of Prophecy



Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings



Book one: 224 pages.
As I mentioned yesterday I am reading the Belgaraid series of 5 books.
Although these books have been out for a long time there is a new version now in TPB. All 5 books are held in 2 trade paperbacks at 12.98 each. Much better price than buying 5 individual paperbacks!
So... I finished book one : Pawn of Prophecy.
In the first book, like many series, characters are introduced and a pattern is set as to what is to come. When it begins we find Aunt Pol taking care of Garion at the farm house. When he is nearly 14 things really begin to happen.
The people he knows as Aunt Pol and the storyteller "the Old Wolf" he suspects, aren't who he thought they were. Things begin to happen in the lands that require Old Wolf's and Pol's help. Not willing to let Garion out of her sight they take him with them when they decided to leave the farm, along with Durnik the blacksmith, who seems to have an eye for Aunt Pol.
All Garion seems to know is that he is no longer sure who he is or who Aunt Pol is or the storyteller. He surmises that they are searching for someone who sold something of large importance, but who and what he hasn't a clue.
The great adventure that Garion thought he was going on quickly turns out to be not so much fun. Pol is determined to keep him under her thumb as a little boy, and Garion is bursting to begin to grow up.
Meanwhile they meet up with some friends of Wolf's, a bear of a Cherek man from Val Alorn, named Barak and a weasel looking man named Silk, a known thief.
No one is who they seem to be.
Wars are a distinct possibility.
And someone wants to kill Garion!
Things escalate as all adventures do and you find yourself unable to stay away from the books for very long! I've quickly remembered why I love Belgarath, or maybe I should say, Old Wolf, who we find out is a sorcerer a few thousand years old. I think it is because I feel close to his age that attracts me ..heh.
An awful lot happens in this short first book... Everyone seems to have 2 or even 3 names, Kings become indebted to Garion for finding a spy, Barak becomes doomed, Silk is in reality, royalty, Old Wolf is known as Belgarath and Aunt Pol is his daughter! .....
And it just keeps getting better!........
I am very glad that they have reissued this series of books into TPB since I really don't think these books should just quietly fade away. They've been around a good many years, and I suspect they are due for a whole new younger audience. I'm just not sure I want to share Belgarath!

10 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

ugh! I'm not reading your blog anymore!!!! :p Totally kidding...but seriously, I need to stop reading about series that I'd like. I almost wasn't going to read this post, because I knew how much you liked this series, but I decided that I'd see what it was all about...damn me! Now I want to read it!

1:53 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris: poor baby.. well.. if you like Pern.. and like this series you will also like Dragonlance when I get to reread those! The ones I choose to continually reread are, to me, very exceptional series. The cream of the Crop as they say. At least they are for me.. dunno about anyone else.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I loved this and the following ones but never did read the final book. My daughter has them all so I must get that off her sometime.

6:09 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Cath: oh my gosh! you read 4 of them, liked them and didn't read the last book??? ACK! haha that would have driven me crazy! haha

6:55 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Okay, this really sucks! I read your post yesterday, decided that this would be the perfect time to start this series, and I can't find the first book! I know I own it, but it sort of seems to have vanished!

11:15 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Just stopping by Pat to wish you a Very Happy Valentines Day! Hope your day will be lovely and loving!

5:04 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

Pat -

They sound like great books but at the moment I am trying to whittle away at my challenge stacks so I'll add these to my list.

So, do you read non-fiction? I was tagged for a non-fiction tag which got me thinking about what the rest of you would read. I hope you c'mon over and give it a go.

cjh

5:19 AM  
Blogger Kucki68 said...

Now I want to reread them, too!

6:19 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kailana: ummm, maybe it was a library book??? If not, I hope you find it! I'd love to hear what others think of this series of books!

Kucki68: I'd be interested to find what you thought of them even if you don't reread them..

9:22 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

No, I know I own it. I got the whole series as a set at the second hand store, so I know the first book was there, but now I can't find it.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home