My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

An Enjoyable, Fast Read


The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp by Rick Yancey.


Hardcover: 375 pages
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books (September 15, 2005)
ISBN-10: 1582346933



What a surprisingly delightful little book !


This book has a remainder spot on it so I think I got it from book closeouts at a ridiculously cheap price. I'm sure I figured that even if it's not a really good book it's got to be worth the few bucks it cost.


It did better.


The star of this book is a 15 yr old, oversized, and overly large headed boy named Alfred Kropp. In his mind he's nothing more than a total screw up. Anything he touches goes wrong, and it seems everyone he cares about dies. It's going to take a lot to make him believe he has any value at all.


Even an extraordinary adventure, one no kid could ever imagine could happen, let alone does happen, really changes him very much. I can relate to this kid. It's called "thick headed", but then again, when you truly believe in something, it takes an awful lot to make you change your mind.


I had this book sitting here for some time now. I had even forgotten what it was supposed to be about, but after reading a few Biographies (as such) I needed a change, but at the same time I was just killing time until Carl begins his Fantasy Challenge, so I grabbed this book and began to read.


Even at 375 pages it's a very fast read (being double spaced helps). All the words in the book are fairly simplistic, yet the way it's written it doesn't really seem that it's trying to be simple for the young folks that might read it. There was a story to be told here and Mr Yancey told it in no uncertain terms. Basically he told the story and.. well.. you got it. (duh) How would you like to find out that a sword you tried to "steal" with your uncle turned out to be Excalibur?? And that if the "bad guys" get a hold of it.. it could mean the end of the world ! Hello? Well.. the book is called "the Extraordinary Adventures" !!


Now I don't know if I was ready for something like this or what it was, but I have to say that simple and basic did the trick.. I enjoyed this book! I think it's for a time you feel like a rest.. something you don't have to think hard on to follow, but is enjoyable.. well, then you might also enjoy this book.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ana S. said...

This really sounds like something I'd enjoy. It's hard for me to hear the word "Excalibur" without getting interested :P

I have really been in the mood for a light and entertaining read...I just pick up a children's book, they often do the trick!

4:05 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I've heard of this one before..sounds good! I'm going to have to go check bookcloseouts for it. Don't you hate remainder marks! Why can't they just put a removable sticker or something on the book instead of a big black line...bugs the hell out of me! Oh well.

4:07 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Nymeth: this one seemed easier to read than most YA books, but yet there's people dieing in this book so not sure the age on it.. but I think the feeling of being "no one", "nothing" "screwup".. and so see how much could happen and not make him realize his worth.. he's not alone in that..

Hey Chris.. yeah I hate those marks. especially long lines! This one was a small "dot".. a little easier to live with lol

4:13 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I've never heard of this one before. It does sound like a nice fun read! Definitely adding it to the old wish list...which is becoming as a long as a novel itself :)

4:48 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Anything that has Excalibur in it sounds good to me!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Bookfool said...

Ooooh, sounds fun!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Would it be something a young teenager might read for inspiration? Someone who needs to believe in himself

9:44 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Pamela.. well, I have since found that there are two more stories of Alfred Kropp.. this first one I think though he went on this fantastic adventure, and was the reluctant hero.. I didn't get the feeling he felt his worth yet.. so it might be that the other stores need to be read also..?

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home