My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A Fairytale...

Quest the First...

Read at least 5 books that fit somewhere within the Once Upon a Time II criteria. They might all be fantasy, or folklore, or fairy tales, or mythology…or your five books might be a combination from the four genres.
Book 3: The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale



Hardcover: 300 pages
ISBN-10: 158234843X


Amazon: 16-year-old Princess AnidoriKiladra Talianna Isillee, Crown Princess of Kildenree, is betrayed by Selia, her jealous and evil lady-in-waiting, and takes refuge as a goose girl while plotting how to reclaim her rightful place as the bride-to-be of the Prince of Bayern. Gifted with the ability to speak to animals and talk to the wind, PrincessAnidori–now called Isi–falls in love, makes new friends, and collects allies in her quest to claim her title.

This is my first re-written fairy tale. I was pretty uncertain sending for this book but so many were reading it I thought I would once again go out of that comfort zone and give it a try.
The first 1/3 of the book I can say I was not thrilled with and kept thinking that I wasn't going to finish this book. The whole fairytale aspect just didn't sit well with me... I know, I strange thing to say to someone who reads almost nothing but Fantasy Fiction. You'd think I'd love "fairy tales", but for the most part I can't really think of any fairy tales that I'd care to reread.
I don't remember ever hearing or reading The Goose Girl so I thought that, at least for me, it wouldn't be a "reread" of any sort. That much held true, though as anyone having read this knows, the ending isn't tooooo difficult to figure out. :o)
After that first 1/3 of the book the writing seemed less "fairy tale-ish". And some of the characters were beginning to have personalities and I did wind up enjoying the book. I can't say I'll order any other "retold fairy tales" but this one was enjoyable. I don't have anything to compare to this book to say if it better or worse than any other, but for anyone who's delving into this sort of thing for the first time I'd say this is the book to read. I doubt it would be a disappointment.

12 Comments:

Blogger Ana S. said...

One of the reasons why I enjoy fairy tale retellings (and the same goes for myths) is exactly the fact that they add personalities and emotions to the characters, and fill what is bare plot to begin with. But we can't all like the same things, of course.

The ending was pretty easy to figure out, yes :P But I enjoyed it all the same.

If you ended up enjoying this one despite not being too fond of fairy tales, I dare say you'd probably also enjoy the two sequels...no more fairy tales, just two excellent YA fantasy novels with great plots and lots of character development.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I'd have to agree with Nymeth on why I too like fairy tales and I would add that I generally like any literature (when well written of course) that brings fairy tales or folklore or mythology into the picture, especially if it is just a part of the underpinnings of the story. I think it gives the story some authenticity and depth that it would not necessarily have otherwise. I like things that tie back to the past and make me want to read more about the origins of the original tales.

9:53 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth:I'll keep the followups in mind and I'm sure I'll check into them before this challenge is over!

Carl:most fantasy fiction is based on some folklore or myth etc.. I guess when reading anything new (remembering I'm in my reread stage) I am always hoping to like whatever it is as much as the books I am rereading. Knowing the moment I finish the book that one day I will want to reread it. And actually that happens seldom. Not that they aren't enjoyed, just not to the extent that I know before it ends that I will want to read this again someday!! The last thing NEW that I felt that way about is the Bartimaeus Trilogy, and there was plenty of reference to myths and legends in that trilogy!!

11:05 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Glad to hear that you ended up liking this one...it's on the mountain that is now called my wishlist. I've gotten much better this year about not buying books like crazy but as a result my wishlist has gotten so out of control that it's not funny. Oh well...at least all of those books aren't on my shelf at home!

12:38 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: glory glory to our wish list! LOL

1:55 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I think I'm with you on the retelling of fairy tales. It's not really my cuppa tea. I can't work out why, I've read a few but they just don't really do it for me. I keep trying though - I have 'Beauty' by Robin McKinley on my list for Carl's challenge and am hoping I'll like that better than usual.

7:27 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: I think that would be the one that I'd be positive I WOULDN'T read! I remember the old black and white movie of Beauty and the Beast, and then I dearly loved the TV show with Ron Perlman of Beauty and the BEast.. both were so fantastic that I wouldn't take a chance on yet another "version" lol... to be honest I remember old fairytales but I don't remember reading them.. might have been all Disney Golden Books and movies for all I remember!! But nah..don't think they are my thing either, and there sure seems to be a load of them out there!

7:46 PM  
Blogger SQT said...

I've enjoyed Dennis McKiernan's and Merceded Lackey's retellings of fairy tales. But then, I like anything that goes deeper into those old stories.

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished and reviews this as well. I love fairy tales and re-tellings and adored this novel. If you want to try another re-telling maybe give The Looking Glass Wars a go by Frank Beddor at some point. It's a much less fairy tale look at Alice in Wonderland that makes for a fun yougn adult book. I hope to read the two follow ups to The Goose Girl at some point too.

5:10 AM  
Blogger Kim L said...

Glad you enjoyed this one! I like to read fairy tale retellings quite a bit. I'd like to read this one, maybe I can fit it in for the Once Upon a Time challenge.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I'm glad you stuck with it, and ended getting a bit more enjoyment out it than looked probable during the first third! Fairy tale retellings are pretty much brand new territory to me, but I'm finding I enjoy them...at least the few I've read. This one I absolutely loved!

5:18 PM  
Blogger Framed said...

I was a little leery about sci fi and gothic tales myself, but found I enjoyed them. They probaly won't become favorites with me but I like the change. I'm glad you ended enjoying Goose Girl which is one of my favorite re-tells. I love Hale's writing.

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home