My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, April 19, 2008

On the Edge of the Dark Sea

Quest the First...

Read at least 5 books that fit somewhere within the Once Upon a Time II criteria. They might all be fantasy, or folklore, or fairy tales, or mythology…or your five books might be a combination from the four genres.
Book 4: On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness by Andrew Peterson



Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: WaterBrook Press (March 18, 2008)
ISBN-10: 1400073847

When the three Igiby siblings find a mysterious map, they embark on an adventure to discover family secrets about the father they never knew and a hidden treasure that many have long desired to find. Leeli, the youngest, can sing with a beauty that captivates dragons; Tink, the middle sibling, has the makings of a king; and Janner, the eldest, possesses a bravery that will protect them all. But the children's curiosity get the entire Igiby family into trouble with the Fangs of Dang—frightening, scaly-skinned, lizard creatures that drip venom—who have ruled the land of Scree since the Great War. Soon, the Igibys are scrambling for their lives. Peterson's style is lighthearted and funny, but following the Igibys' story requires patience and attention to detail and character so as not to get lost. The sheer amount of names, places, creatures and history Peterson invents will frustrate some readers—it is so complicated that he inserts explanatory historical footnotes throughout (though many are amusing).

I think I sent for this book based on two things: the cover (and we know we really shouldn't do that!). And in this case the choice of fonts worked!
And two: this sounded like a very upbeat and fun read, with more than one protagonist, and they aren't even orphaned!
So.... to me (and only me), the beginning was a bit slow and it was overwhelming with odd character and places names to remember. I didn't have a problem remembering them (which in itself is amazing), but it made it seem like a jumbled mess. The beginning seemed to be more about names than story.
I would have liked to known more of the kids personalities than what was shown, although, they did have a good reason for not letting you know about their "father" and even younger years.
Of all the characters in the book it wasn't until maybe the last fourth of the book that a character named, Peet the Sock Man, who was deemed "crazy" and wore socks over his hands and arms, appeared. For whatever reason, I liked this character right off the bat and he did turn into a very interesting "person".
Overall, the book was ok.. good even, but the good came the second half of the book, and even more so the last 1/4 of the book. But because of that the mysteries surrounding the Igiby family became clear before the book ended.
This is book one, with more to come... I'm not sure if I'll go on reading this or not. I might give it one more try.

7 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

Now I could've sworn that you had read this one already because it's on my wishlist and I thought that it was because of you! Must be from Becky. Sounds like a bit of a disappointment, huh? I suppose I'll still give it a shot...just no big rush to get there.

12:57 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hey Chris: nope, it wasn't me lol.. this book isn't bad.. but it didn't make me want to keep picking it up.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I think it suffers from what quite a few first-book-in-the-series books do. It takes a while to actually get to the story because of all the building up and creating a background and setting the mood. I enjoyed parts of it better than others. It did take a while to get into into the story. But I probably will pick up the second book if/when it's released.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

You know, I'd probably have picked that one up because of the cover as well :P It's too bad it wasn't as good as it could have been, though.

4:45 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Becky: I think it lacked in the character building (until the end) It didn't really say a whole lot about any of the characters and thats what will keep me reading .. good characters.

Nymeth: Funny how the covers can make or break a book at times! This was a good cover even though it was mostly Fonts, which is a bit different.. I like the cover on it.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I freely admit I'll buy a book for its cover, almost like I'm buying a piece of artwork. Of course, it helps if what's inside is good as well. LOL!

5:31 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I can certainly see why you bought the book for the cover, it looks beautiful. Sorry it wasn't as exciting as the cover promised it to be. I certainly base a majority of my book purchases on covers and am more often than not pleased, so I won't stop doing that, but I do know the bitter disappointment when an amazing cover holds a less than amazing story. Conversely I have read some incredible stories and feel bitter, both for myself and the author, that the cover and/or presentation of the book was abysmal.

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home