My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, May 16, 2008

Horns & Wrinkles

I'm not sure I can do 5 more books for a fourth time.. but while the challenge goes on I'll keep posting my reads until it's officially over!

Quest the First...

Read at least 5 books that fit somewhere within the Once Upon a Time II criteria. They might all be fantasy, or folklore, or fairy tales, or mythology…or your five books might be a combination from the four genres.

Book 2: Horns and Wrinkles by Joseph Helgerson

Paperback: 240 pages
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin; 1 edition (February 18, 2008)
ISBN-10: 0618981780

From Booklist:
Twelve-year-old Claire and other Blue Wing townsfolk know there's something magical about living along the Mississippi River. How else can they explain Claire's bullying cousin Duke suddenly finding a rhino horn growing where his nose was? Or Duke's parents mysteriously turning to stone? Seeking antidotes, Claire, who "can't resist an adventure," joins Duke and a motley trio of river trolls on a quest filled with obstacles, magic, and mayhem that ultimately leads to a showdown with a Rock Troll, who may hold the key to it all. Folksy charm, inventive fantasy, and diverse characters blend in this offbeat river tallish tale.

I have to admit that the artwork on the cover AND the title caught my attention some time ago and is probably what made me buy the book! I was really curious of the title.. one could "see" the "horn" part of the title but "wrinkles??"

Well I sure don't want to give away the meaning of the title. I will say you do find out before it's all over! heh.

Duke and Claire are cousins who hang out together, but it turns out that Duke is quite a bully, even to his own cousin. Each time Duke is mean and bullies Claire his nose grows (flashes of Pinocchio flash thru my mind).

I'm sure everyone knew a bully when they were young. Hopefully you didn't have to deal with the bully,but if you did, you could only wish his nose would grow!

Claire becomes the one to deal with river trolls and rock trolls and even a blue wing in order to try to save Duke and family members that the trolls have turned into stone.

Have you ever had to deal with trolls? Ah, well.. me either, but yaknow.. we all do what we must to get thru life.

This was a cute fantasy story, and along with the artistic illustrations by Nicoletta Ceccoli the adventure that Claire and Duke live through comes to life.

A very enjoyable book indeed.

9 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

I've been waiting none too patiently for your review to see what you thought of it...I'm so glad you enjoyed it, too!

And I think you've got at least 2 more rounds left in you!

8:18 AM  
Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

Oooooo, that sounds realy good. The cover reminds me of James and the Giant Peach for some reason :D

9:30 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: ya think? lol.. thanks Debi!

animewookie: Oh wow.. I read that book to my kids when they were small!!! lol

9:33 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Of course you can do this one for a fourth time! You still have over a month left!

I can't wait to read this one...I doubt I'll read it before the end of the challenge though...I have WAYYYY to many other books on old TBR Mountain that need to be taken care of. But it sounds really good and I just love the cover art.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

This is so going to be included in my next book order.

5:10 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: yeah I'll make it one more time lol.. almost done with the book I am reading. That will be 3 of the 5. Then I will read the Mislaid Magician and The Book of Dragons to make up the 5... then I think I will reread The Sword of Shanarra trilogy I think lol.

Nymeth: it's pretty cute.. but I have to say I liked The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane better... maybe though it was just the simple story with great illustrations...

5:30 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

You're certainly finding some unique books to read at the moment. This one sounds fascinating, where do you hear about them?

6:56 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Cath: originally I found this while searching, I can't remember what, but found it and it sounded cute.. it went to the wish list. Then Carl brought up the artist on his blog and it reminded me of it and I sent for it. I enjoyed it. But enjoyed others more.. and some less.. so kinda in the upper middle? lol

7:00 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I hope to get to this one soon!

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home