My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Another Mary Russell Mystery

Justice Hall by Laurie R King

Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (January 16, 2004)
ISBN-10: 000711138X


Amazon.com
A lost heir, murder most foul, and the unexpected return of two old friends start Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes--spouses and intellectual equals--on an investigation that takes them from the trenches of World War I France to the heights of English society. In this sixth entry in Laurie King's award-winning series, fans will find the Baker Street sleuth mellowed by age and marriage yet still in possession of his deductive abilities and acerbic wit, and, in Mary Russell, a surprisingly apt companion for the legendary detective.
Justice Hall brings back two colorful characters from earlier in the series: Bedouins Ali and Mahmoud Hazr (now known as Alistair and Marsh), who last appeared in O Jerusalem. At their request, Holmes and Russell take up the trail of the doomed heir to Justice Hall, who has been executed for cowardice in the bloody trenches of France. As the detectives strive to make sense of his death and to locate another heir to the family title, an attempt is made on the life of the man who's soon to be welcomed as the new duke. Holmes and Russell soon realize something sinister is afoot, and that they must untangle a web of deceit to discover which of the many suspects is taking steps to shorten the line of inheritance. Once again, King's satisfying tale stays true to the spirit of Conan Doyle's original stories while extending them into new terrain.


This is my 6th Mary Russell book and my 7th Laurie R King book.

Before Carl's RIP challenge last year when I sent for a used copy of Laurie R King's "The Moor" for read for the challenge no one could have told me that I'd enjoy reading Sherlock Holmes or more to the point Sherlock Holmes wife, Mary Russell!... but ohh, how I've enjoyed this group of books! There are 2 more in the series which I don't have at the moment but I assure you I will have them eventually!

I was quite surprised that Ali and Mahmoud Hazr, from the other book O Jerusalem were reintroduced for this book. Of course they were no longer the men they thought they knew but instead were proper Englishmen of some prominence. Quite a contrast from when Mary and Sherlock had first met them.

This was yet another gripping story told by Laurie R King. A little less of the more playful exchanges between Mary and Holmes that I've enjoyed in the other books, but a gripping story to keep you glued to the book none the less.

I could do no less than to say that this whole series of books has been enjoyable and I'd recommend them to anyone who does, or may, enjoy Sherlock Holmes type mysteries.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

And I of course will second that recommendation to all and sundry. And do. Whether people want to hear it or not! LOL. Glad to hear your latest one was a good 'un too, Pat. My next will be The Moor of course.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Glad to hear it...these books have been recommended to me in the past and I really should get around to trying them out.

1:22 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: The Moor still remains my favorite!

Carl: if you like strong females and like sherlock holmes, you will like these books!

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home