My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Consider This...

Kiva left a comment on the post showing some of my vhs tapes. She was wondering what the movies were that were in the "for your consideration boxes".. so I thought I'd show it in a post.

The first photo is a scan of the front of the box. As you can see these particular movies in this particular year were put out the the Disney Company. This was the only studio to put them out with this particular cover. (note that it is a photo of part of the Disney Studio itself)

At times the movies sent out to the "voters" were only put in plain covers, and yet others had the cover that the movie would be marketed in.

Up Close and Personal....

(actual cover...)

This is a telling of the Jessica Savitch story, the newswoman who, in the 1970's, became the "First Woman Anchor". Sally/Tally is taken under the wing of Warren in a Miami newsroom and becomes a news star on TV. Despite her love for Warren, she takes the big chance and moves on to Philadelphia, where he follows to rescue her faltering career at the cost of his own - as she rises he falls.

Michelle Pfeiffer plays Sally Atwater, who is a young woman, looking to become a star in the news and television industry. She sends out a tape to a lot of stations, but only one answers it. She first becomes a secretary, and Warren Justice (played by Robert Redford) later makes her a weather person, and then finally a real news person.

Next, the back view... Since each studio wants to be considered for everything about any movie they did in any given year, some list all the names on the back cover. (then again.. some are blank)

The War at Home..

(actual cover..)

Jeremy Collier is a Vietnam veteran who has returned home and is struggling to cope with the war experiences that haunt him. He is also at odds with his family, who cannot begin to understand what he has been through. Jeremy's battles with his family finally spiral out of control on Thanksgiving Day, when a bitter secret is revealed.

Sometimes the studios used gimmicks to try to vide for attention and did fancy boxing of the movies. They also (according to DeForest) always sent ALL the movies that studio made that year. Which made sense to me since I remember watching some movies I had never heard of! And in all honesty here.. some of those were better than the one's going up for the Oscars! Most of those would be their smaller budget movies. That also meant they weren't "marketed" all over, possibly only released in a small amount of theaters.

I do know that, back then, when I had access to all the movies from all the studio's via De, that I got to see some really good movies that I am sure I would have missed!

One gimmick that Paramount did in 1993 was to send DeForest a box with their releases in it... it even had his name on it! (see below)

The inside looked like this:

In the see-thu envelope on the top it had mini posters of each of the movies.

Below: close up of the movies..

(oh gee.. look at that! Another Harrison Ford movie! heh.)

Anyway, that just goes to show you some of the degrees studios will go to in order to get your vote!

5 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

That is so cool!! So do you know if all actors (or a good amount of them) have access to these movies or did DeForest belong to a society that gave him the privileges of getting these? That's awesome that he gave them to you! The Paramount box is really cool!

1:26 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: Anyone who is a member votes for the Oscars, and they all get all the movies. Something like the Box with De's name on it.. that I don't know if they did for everyone. It's possible I guess ...all they had to do was make up the copper little plates.. and send them to actors who worked alot at Paramount. All the movies are finished quality but from time to time across the bottom of your screen it will say things like "for academy eyes only" and "not for resale" etc.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

That box of movies is pretty special. A lovely collectors item. And hey look! Sabrina... the movie I couldn't remember the title of. So that was 1993. They showed Witness on TV last night and I watched it, of course. Fabulous. Never get bored with that movie. I was wondering, like Chris, how De got the movies. He was a member of the Academy then?

6:32 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Cath: yes, he was an academy member, most actors are. Months before the Oscars the movies would begin to show up in his mail... shortly there after I'd get a call , "got a bag full of movies.. want'em?" (duh! do birds fly? does a bear.. well you know!) hehe

6:41 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I'm going to have to join in with "these are so cool". I love stuff like this!

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home