My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Relief.. of sorts...


This week we are getting a break!


Last week it was a heat wave... and it was nasty! Temps exceeding 100 degree's!


This week, after a severe thunderstorm (they are all severe now..no normal rain allowed, they have to have high winds capable of up-rooting trees, along with possible hail and lots and lots of lightening.. and yep it uprooted trees and there was hail, and there was enough lightening to read a book by in the night!)


For this we dropped down into the 70's. But... (have to love the but's right?).. it also means we have quick (severe) storms each afternoon or evening.


I know I shouldn't complain. The house I live in with my brother and David and 6 cats is not 6 feet under water , or floating down a river, or in a fire zone, or earthquake zone,.. and there was a time I could say, not a tornado zone, but anymore who knows? We do get tornado warnings now and then with these severe storms.


I wonder: where will this all end?


I know that on my little SS check there is no way, should something happen that at my age and income I could "start over", the way thousands of people will be doing from the floods and tornados etc.


I find my mind slipping backwards to when I had a job in California in which I cried each morning before going to work... the difference is now I am afraid to enjoy a day without disasters happening because I know it won't last. Yep.. sad, I know. But the times I forget and enjoy a nice day are getting fewer and fewer and that scares the doo doo out of me!


This may well be part of the reason I have been lax at blogging a whole lot except for the books I read. I want to say "bear with me, this too will pass"... but will it?


What are your thoughts about natures disasters lately? Why are we getting this extreme? Can it be changed? If so, why isn't something being done about it?

9 Comments:

Blogger Melli said...

Well, you know me... personally I LOVE a good storm! As for the natural disasters... I really do think God might be sending a message. We are a people who have come to depend far too much on ourselves, and far too little on Him. I think He may be showing us that He IS powerful, and we NEED Him! (well... you ASKED!!!)

9:35 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I was on the outskrits of Hurricane Katrina and it scared me snotless (yes I know, poor little Georgia girl can't get used to Mississippi weather). Well all I can say is Mother Nature is fighting back :(

9:51 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Melli: yes ma'am! lol (but i kinda think this is mans fault, so man should fix it dang it!

Ladytink: hmmm "scared you snotless" eh?... you sure sound like me! LOL.. those are words I would use fersure! hahaha.. hey you still in GA? I have a son down there and know they had 2 tornados this year! hello? that's a new area for "tornado alley"!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I wish I could give you a big hug to be honest, Pat. I know that wouldn't solve the problem but...

I also think the older we get the more we worry about stuff that's out of our control. Youngsters don't worry about 'what ifs?' but we're old enough to have seen it all and therefore we count nothing out. We've started to get tornados in the UK now. Not often but not long ago it was 'never'. We live on a hill so flooding is unlikely, but my youngest daughter and her little boy don't, they live on a flat area not far from the river. I try not to let it scare me but you can't help it with the weather so darn unpredictable now. I don't actuallty think anything will be done. The politicians haven't the will to do it, not properly anyway. And that makes me very afraid for the world that your grandkids and mine will have to deal with.

3:42 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: that's for sure. I am old, and I've seen many changes. Many are good.. some I don't like, none I could change no matter how much I wanted to.. but none were "life threatening" like what seems to be happening world wide right now. I think it's been sneaking up but the last 3 years have really changed drastically.. if anyone says they don't notice the changes they are lying! And yep.. scared for those who are young enough to be here for some time yet... when it's my time to go I will miss the good things...but more and more there's a lot more I won't miss.

4:03 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Time to build an Ark, for sure! I think it is Global Warming and until people stop being indifferent to it, particularly our Government----NOTHING will change. And the really scary thing is, even if they began really reversing all sorts of things today....It won;t change things fast enough to make a real difference, like, the next day or even the next year. I get terribly depressed about the state of the world; the state of our country; the state of our weather, etc., etc., etc.....I don't know what the answer is, Pat....but whatever it is, they better start making major MAHOR changes very very soon!

8:55 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

I think you're right Naomi...but someone better wake up soon.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Although there is the theory of global warming, etc. out there I am not entirely convinced that the disasters we are experiencing aren't part of a normal pattern, its just that we know so much more about them today because of the proliferation of media attention. I think there are better years and worse years...this year the thunderstorms seem worse than they have for many other years...but we can't help but feel overwhelmed by them now because that is what all the news is about.

I think it is our responsibility for the sake of our own sanity to limit our exposure to the negativity of the news and to do what we can, even if that is only praying and thinking good thoughts, for those who are suffering from the effects of natural disasters. In the end I think it is our responsibility to enjoy our days, to cherish our lives and make the most of each day, and surely worrying or being stressed about things beyond our control isn't something we should feel burdened to do.

4:43 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: I'm sure my age has a little something to do with it also.. I know I can't do anything about floods or hurricanes or tornados.. but I do fear I won't be one of the lucky ones that they don't touch! And I do think alot has to do with global warming... natural disasters have been getting worse each year for the past number of years.. it doesn't seem to be bad this year and not next year.. it's been steadily growing each year. Not a good sign.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home