My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, August 25, 2008

Oh My! It's RIP Time Once Again!


Silly me... I knew the RIP Challenge held by Carl would begin soon. I figured ..next month, so I began one more book (The Movies, D W Griffith and Me by Lillian Gish) also figuring I'd have finished reading it before RIP began.

Well, true to form (for me) I have NOT finished my book by Lillian Gish, and Carl HAS begun the RIP Challenge! *sigh*

I am trying very hard NOT to do what I know happens to me when I commit to something... even a reading challenge... and that is to try to relax and enjoy the book I am reading before jumping into Carl's "Halloween-ish" reading challenge.

Here are the official challenges: R.I.P. III runs from September 1st through October 31st, 2008. But I’m no stickler, start reading now if you feel so inclined.

Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.

Peril the First: Read Four books of any length, from any subgenre of scary stories that you choose.

Peril the Second: Read Two books of any length, from any subgenre of scary stories that you choose.

Peril the Third: Read One book of any length from one of the subgenres listed above.


I'm choosing to do Peril the First.

Surprised?? I am! heh.. I am not into vampires or blood and gore etc but I have found, since reading The Thirteenth Tale, that I do enjoy a mystery with the gothic feel... and.. and.. I also enjoyed a vampire and werewolf when written with humor as A Lee Martinez did in Gil's All Fright Diner! So.. it's surprise to me that I am attempting this once again!

I will list the books I have available to me, in my tbr list, for this challenge.. although....... although.... I don't promise to read all of these! I have found that once reviews start coming in that there are books out there I might enjoy MORE than the ones I have.. and so, I do what all of us do and order the books and read those instead! heh.. anyway.. there's also a chance that all my choices MIGHT be the ones I already have! (wouldn't that be original?! lol) So here's my list.................


Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
A Namless Witch by A Lee Martinez
Dracula by Bram Stoker
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (reread)
The House at Riverton by Kate Morton
Kept by D J Taylor
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

More than likely I have a few other books on my TBR list that would fit one of the descriptions that Carl has for this challenge but for now I'll settle for the above list.

True to form, Carl has some suggested books at his website and one of them has already hit my wish list! The Ghost Writer by John Harwood.. I will check into this book a bit more and then decide if I am sending for it! It wouldn't be the first time that Carl has suggested a book that I doubted I would like. Last year one of his suggestions was The Thirteenth Tale and that book was soooooo good, that I keep watching for the author to come out with another book! (unfortunately, so far, she hasn't).

Anyway... with Fall around the corner, and my brother (even if temporarily) is on the mend, I am going to jump in this and hope things stay on an even keel so that I can enjoy the whole experience that Carl always puts out there for us!!

Come on! Join in ! I know you want to !

29 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Some fabulous reads there, Pat. The Historian is one of my all time favourite reads but is not a book to be rushed, imo. I have The Thirteenth Tale on my list too and definitely plan to read it. I haven't heard of Kept and The Nameless Witch so am going to go and follow your links and look at those. I'm pretty excited about this, can you tell? LOL.

And I'm halfway through something else too. Isn't it frustrating?

12:18 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Cath: yeah the Historian is kinda big and I may read 4 shorter books before I actually tackle that one lol..
I've heard that the Nameless Witch is not as good as Gil's All Fright Diner (which I thought was really cute) but I sent for it long ago figuing I needed "light stuff" since I'm not into most of what many like with Vampires and such More than likely I will reread The Thirteenth Tale as one of the reads ..this is a good excuse to read it again and hopefully enjoy it as much as the first time.

I am determined to read slow and to finish enjoying my book by Lillian Gish!

12:25 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Oh my, what a list!

I loved Rebecca, Dracula, The Historian and The Thirteenth Tale! I'll be interested in your opinion of The House at Riverton, too, because it's caught my eye a couple of times.

cjh

1:54 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

You have some AWESOME books on that list Pat :) Some of my favorites from last year. Have you read Rebecca and Dracula before? If not, you're in for a real treat! If you read Dracula and like it, you should get Renfield: Slave of Dracula by Barbara Hambly after...I read that last year and loved it too. And The Historian! Wow, such a good book. I really need to try one of the A Lee Martinez books too. They sound like so much fun and perfect for this season.

2:51 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cj: I'm thinking that may be the first one I try! lol.. I hope it's good!

Chris: nope, have not read Rebecca (but seen the movie many times) or Dracula (but I will hear Bela Lugosi's voice I am sure!).

if you do a Martinez book do Gil's all fright diner! Fun, light reading!.. hard to say that and include "vampire and werewolf" but it's true! lol

3:03 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I must admit, I am surprised. I wasn't sure if you'd dive in this year or not (forgive the bad pool pun). I am thrilled to say the least! And what a fantastic to-read pile! Oh my gosh. Dracula is of course my favorite novel of all time. Loved Thirteenth Tale and have been very tempted to reread it as well. I look forward to seeing what you read and what you think about them when you are done. I understand being tempted to dump everything and start R.I.P. reading...I have a couple of books I should read before I start my R.I.P. reading...who knows if I'll be successful?

4:14 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Glad to see you are joining in! I really should reread The Thirteenth Tale. I LOVED that book... I started working on my pool a couple weeks ago. I just have to sit down and write up my list... Which I won't follow anyways, but that's me. :)

4:26 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Stephanie
I enjoyed The Historian when I read it during last years RIP! Happy reading!

4:31 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: of all things I thought you'd most comment on the skull on my book photo and no one has noticed it LOL. I think that's hysterical!

It seems we all loved the 13th Tale!! I wish she'd write something else!

Kailana: glad you will be making a pool of books too! lol... we can all go swimming before this is over! hahah

4:34 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Great list! The only one I've read is Rebecca, so I'm looking forward to your reviews of the others!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Lightheaded said...

We both have Rebecca on our pool! I love your list because I've read three and I absolutely, positively adored yet totally creeped out by them! That's The Historian, Dracula (which I read for last year's RIP), and The Thirteenth Tale (another RIP II read).

I've been meaning to get Kept. Will look out for your takes on the books in the coming weeks.

2:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your skull picture. Will look forward to your reviews of A Nameless Witch, Kept and The Historian as I still need to read these.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I read Rebecca a long time ago but I can't really remember that much about it, I have two copies of Dracula but have never been able to finish it, and I read 200 pages of The Historian before wanting to throw it against the wall. However, I LOVED The Thirteenth Tale lol.

I'm debating whether or not to join in on this. I didn't last year when I was actually caught up on my blog reviews :(

7:07 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Robin: I'll be glad to get started! still have to finish the book I am reading before I can start!

lighheaded: i loved the thirteen tale! and hope I get to read it again.

rhinoa: except for the nameless witch all the books are "a good size" so I hope I get thru them!

ladytink:If I don't like any book I set it down, but I do give them a good try! (but I won't stay with it if I'm not enjoying it)

7:14 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh you have a great list there! Rebecca is a fantastic read, especially at this time of year. I loved The Historian as well. And I think I'm going to join you in that reread of The Thirteenth Tale. I've seen it on so many lists and I'm just itching to read it again. I loved that book. Good luck!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Peta said...

Great list of books - I've read and enjoyed several so you should be in for a treat. Given all the positive comments, I clearly need to add The Thirteenth Tale to my list!

11:15 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

heather: I love the old movie of Rebecca so I figure I'll like the book too lol

Peta: ohhh yes! add The Thirteen Tale!!!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great list! I just finished Dracula a few weeks ago for a Classic Challenge. I'm so looking forward to the R.I.P. Challenge!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Ok, I AM the only person who has not read The Thirteenth Tale yet, and it didnt' even make it on to my pile of 16 books to pick from for the challenge! I did discover it today, sitting forlornly on my shelf,wondering what it had to do to capture my attention...sigh....now my challenge list is 18 books long! It's fun to make the list up, at least!! Please read A Nameless Witch, which I have not heard about so I can check out your review first..... :-) I've read The HIstorian and many times read Dracula (and seen almost every Dracula movie made!), I hope you like them! Dracula especially, though The HIstorian has some very chilling moments and is good too. Great list, Pat!

11:02 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

PS left a comment on your post about your brother...very glad he is on the mend. Will keep you in my thoughts and hope he is out and home soon.

11:36 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

bobbi: awww too bad you read that before RIP started!

Susan: I think i remember one person of the many MANY reviews I read of the Thirteen Tale who didn't care for it.. odds are in your favor! lol.. I hope I get a chance to reread it for this challenge.

5:49 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I love that picture! And I look forward to comparing notes on those books we're both reading. And to reading your other reviews too, of course.

9:25 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth: of course LOL.. if I could write reviews like you that would make sense LOL... but then I am too scared someone will spend their hard earned money on a book I said was good and then they won't like it!

3:08 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Oh my, you reminded me that I have A Nameless Witch sitting on my shelves somewhere...and this is the perfect time to read it, huh? Looks like you've got a great pool there!

Now, just curious, but how many times are you going to do Peril the First? :)

1:33 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

debi: lol..ummm once? lol...I have found very few books to fit this challenge that I am comfortable with or enjoy, so It won't be anything like the Fantasy challenge lol... those I read normally all the time!

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Pat, long time no "speak"! Hope you're well. When I'm done checking out R.I.P lists I'll come back and catch up with your blog.

I loved The Thirteenth Tale when I read it, and I think that with all the lists it is on, I may have to revisit it very soon.

The Historian is fab, great to see that one and Dracula on your list. Rebecca is also an excellent choice.

Enjoy! I look forward to your review posts.

5:48 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Quix!.. well, after all.. it is "that time again" lol.. hard not to read more than usual with all the book reviews that will be coming along! I've just begun my reread of The Thirteenth Tale.. had to do it to be sure it's as good as I remember lol.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

eyes closed.
fingers in ears.
humming loud.
Can't do scary (:

8:30 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Happy RIP III reading! Spook away... (That skull with books photo did spooked me a lil bit LOL)

Ooooh... how did I manage to miss out Dracula? I might just pop that one into the challenge if I'm up to it. I almost wanted to include The Historian but decided to put that on KIV.

The Thirteenth Tale is still in my wishlist, yet to be 'transferred' into the TBR pile. I should probably go shopping soon. Hehe...

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home