My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Extra Credit











"Extra Credit": A Nameless Witch by A Lee Martinez

























Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: Tor Books (May 1, 2007)
SBN-10: 0765315483

From BooklistThe nameless witch is the victim of a family curse that was supposed to make her hideous and undead. The undead part took, but she is otherwise quite lovely. A witch she calls Ghastly Edna buys her from her parents and trains her in all the witchy arts, including how to dress so that people see the hideous hag they expect a witch to be. When inhuman agents of a mysterious force attack Ghastly Edna, before she expires she tells the nameless witch she has two choices: live a long, peaceful life, or pursue revenge and possible doom, though happiness might instead be the outcome. Of course, the nameless witch chooses revenge. With her demonic duck familiar and a troll met en route, she travels to a town where she provides useful services until a gobling [sic] army attacks. She resumes her quest, with White Knight Wyst of the West added to her company. Thanks to a healthy dose of Martinez's signature humor (see his Alex Award winner, Gil's All Fright Diner, 2005), entertainingly witchy. Regina Schroeder

Martinez has a sense of humor and has a way of giving it to many ofhis characters. This is the third book of his that I've read. I will admit the first was and still is my favorite, Gil's All Fright Diner, but I enjoyed his other book, In the Company of Ogres too.

In this book he's made a beautiful hag of a witch (with no name), a demon duck named Newt, a troll named Gwurm and a dark White Knight, who's full title is: Wyst of the West, Defender of the Weak, Destroyer of the Four, Sworn Champion of Decency, Avowed Foe of Evil.
She is on a quest of vengeance for the person who had her mentor Ghastly Edna killed.

Once the entourage was formed the witch informs Newt... My vision was making more sense with every passing hour. I shared what I knew, well aware it wouldn't satisfy him. "Four trials. Trial by peril. Trial by strength. Trial by combat. And trial by magic." "Trials? Didn't the vision mention perhaps something along the lines of miles or days?" I merely smiled.

This book, like his others stays true to form showing Martinez's sense of humor.. be it as it may. But the story itself was not as good as the other books. Or I should say, it wasn't to my liking as much as the other books. I felt a bit like he was running out of material to write about.

However, I will always suggest that anyone who wants humor mixed with the likes of vampires to read his first book of Gil's All Fright Diner.. and I've seen where he has a new book out, which at some other time I may give a go at.

But for now I am off to reread Cornelia Funke's books of Inkheart and Inkspell because the last book is about to be mailed to me from amazon of Inkdeath!

6 Comments:

Blogger Sage Ravenwood said...

Hi hon, I was delighted to discover you over here. (Hugs)Indigo

9:45 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Well it certainly sounds interesting!!! My library has two of his books Gil's All Fright Diner and The Automatic Detective but not this one :(

I plan on re-reading Inkheart as soon as I can find a moment and then I'll read the last two.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I've had Gil's All Fright Diner on my wishlist since you reviewed it last year...thanks for reminding me that I need to read to it!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

This one sounds like a lot of fun. Not an author that seems to be in our libraries over here but will definitely keep an eye out for him.

Enjoy Inkdeath when it arrives!

6:22 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I've had Gil's All Fright Diner on my wishlist too ever since you reviewed it! This one sounds cool though! Hope you enjoy Inkdeath!

2:39 AM  
Blogger Framed said...

I think I will add Gil's to my list and maybe skip this one. Hope you are enjoying Inkheart and Inkspell.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home