My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, November 07, 2008

7 Bookish Things

 Chris of Stuff as Dreams are Made On, has tagged me for a “7 Random Bookish Things About Me” meme.

 

1.  I've turned into someone I don't know! I never had more than 2 or 3 tbr books at any given time.. now I have 45!  I find I like having a choice for "my next read" !

2.  Chris mentioned that he worries about his mortality when it comes to all the books he wants to read in his lifetime.. well, he can't be as worried as someone like myself gets when I find I have begun a new "series" of books!  I've gotten to the age that I do wonder if I will live long enough to finish a series of books!

This is particularly upsetting to me because when I like the characters in a book, I then hope it goes on forever!  So, now I try VERY HARD to not start "new" series until all or most all of the books are published!

3.  I like to look at my books.   I live at someone else's home and so, other than my bed and desk the furniture is not mine. The room is small but I want my books where I can see them and so I use plastic "milk cartons" and pieces of wood to make "shelves" so that I can see them.

4.  Of course any series of books HAS to be together.  That's not always easy when what I have aren't true shelves or have other series on them.  I have to keep rearranging so each series sits together.

5.  Often I find myself counting the pages to "the next chapter" to see if I feel like reading "just one more chapter" before putting it down.

6.  I love a book with short chapters! I will read more and faster ! ('nuff said)

7.  I always take off the dust cover when reading so it doesn't get ruined.  Which is really funny if you think of it.  Dust covers were made to protect the "real cover" of the book and I take them off.  Ok I will admit it.. I am saving the "art work" on the dust cover.  There was a time the dust cover just covered the exact same cover, but few if any do that anymore. I do love it when they do though! (Inkheart series is the same with or without the dust cover!!)

I'm supposed to tag 7 more people but I don't want to do that so... if you want to do this meme please let me know so I can check it out!  (I do think Cath should do one though *snigger*)

13 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

45...psht :p Try a TBR pile of nearly 200! You're on your way there though, lol. At least we have a nice selection, right? I'm the exact same way when it comes to looking at my books! I absolutely love to look at them. And I like your shelving system :) It looks nice. Now where we differ is I ALWAYS keep the dustcover on...I have no idea why, but it just doesn't feel right if the dustcover is off...like the book is naked or something :p

3:51 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris; hmmm, now I wonder if you are my son or not!?! LOL..

3:53 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I love your book 'shelves' - such an ingenious way of doing it. And your selction of hardbacks is wonderful.

I shall have fun with this meme over the weekend. I also need to do a post on 'series'. I made a list of all the ones I've started and all the ones I want to read and realised I have serious series problem. Oh gosh...

And I also worry about not living long enough to read all the books I want to read. Especially with the size of my tbr pile.

6:26 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: I really need to get a grip on the tbr pile!! There's really no need for more than 2 or 3 books "waiting" at any given time!.. but of course it continues to grow! I am ordering 2 books next week when the new Pern book by Todd McCaffrey comes out! (the second book is always so i don't have to pay for shipping..but always a book I want too!)

6:53 PM  
Blogger Bookfool said...

Okay, yeah, this is pathetic but I have that same problem worrying about how I'll ever manage to read all those books before I die because I have (I am not kidding) thousands. And, I keep acquiring more, although I tend to read the most recent acquisitions first. Which is all to say I should never buy a book, again. But, you know how likely that is. LOL

Just in case you don't see it, I just responded to your question beneath that Hugh Jackman/Australia post. :)

9:47 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

bookfool: it really is weird that such a thing would bother any of us!... but of course, it does lol

6:04 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Seems like everyone (me included) got tagged for this meme this week lol. I'm kind of worried about never getting around to reading all of these books I've accumulated over the years too... I do that with dust covers too.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I'm with you on 1 and 6. I love me some short chapters, and I blame blogging for 1 :P

11:45 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Tink: Yeah I can't let the artwork get ruined lol.. sheesh.

nymeth: what? blame blogging for huge tbr piles??... surely you jest!?! LOL LOL

12:38 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

When I'm in a reading mood - I have some fake book covers (don't know what you call them) and it protects your books plus it keeps everyone around you wondering what you're reading.

9:53 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Pamela: now that's funny!

5:24 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Great answers! You've definitely turned in to one of us! 45 books...you've got a long way to go! ;)

I too take dust covers off. They are often more enjoyable to look at than 'real' covers. I love it when I remove a dust jacket and have the surprise of finding some interesting artwork on the book itself. That kind of craftsmanship and attention to detail is just lost nowadays and that is really sad. I was excited to see that the Fables Covers book with artwork by James Jean that I ordered (and will get tonight) has unrelated artwork on the actual book and not just on the dust jacket.

3:51 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: the Inkheart books are among very few where the book cover is the same as the dustjacket.. and I love them!

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home