My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, November 28, 2008

Did You See That?

Ok.. so.. how many of you watched the Macy's Thanksgiving day Parade??

For as long as I can remember the parade is always on the television in my house or where I am living.  But, since I am generally the cook, I only see "bits 'n' pieces".  I can't remember ever having seen the entire parade!

This year I did catch something of interest to me though.  Seeing as I am old enough to have my birth certificate carved out on stone, I found one band of particular of interest... they are called The Second Time Arounders Band.  If anyone looked closely they would have noticed that most of the band members had white hair! 

What? A marching band of old folks?

Why, yes!

Does this mean some old folks can actually do some things the younger folks do?

Why,... yes! (amazing isn't it?!)

For years now (since I reached old age) I wondered about some things concerning "old folks". 

Being an avid reader and lover of movies, one thing that always got to me was that the fantasy books I read, and movies I see rarely star the older person. (not never.. but rarely)

They don't star them, and at times barely mention them.. yet, there they are.  In the same story.  Often doing the same things the younger folks are doing.  But somehow, they seem to always just be, the token old person.

Ok, I will admit that it's true, that the body begins to break down as you grow old!  But, many older people are very active and can certainly keep up with the younger generation in many things.  This band I saw was great to me!  They are every bit as good as any high school or college marching band...  yet they were ...well... not young!

If you read fantasy fiction, have you ever noticed that there are often wizards and such going along with the adventure of the younger folks, having to be every bit as vital and strong as the younger protagonists?  But why are they so rarely "the star"?

It upset me so much that some years ago I wrote my own trilogy (amateur) just to have most of the "stars" of the older generation!  It felt good!

Occasionally the movies get it right with pictures like, Cocoon, and Fried Green Tomatoes. There are a number of excellent movies like those.. but they aren't the money makers that the studios want and so, once again, those movies are few and far between.

That fact also leads to all the actresses getting all that facial surgery so they can continue to play parts for younger actresses.  And that, of course, is because no writer wants to write a story starring older people.  (American writers are obsesses with young skinny beauties)

Concerning this, I believe the Brit's are much smarter than the Americans.  They have never been "obsessed" with the skinny, young, beauty.. they want a good actor and looks are secondary. (I've got to move to England! )  Of course they have their share of gorgeous actresses and actors, but it just doesn't seem to be a "must" to be beautiful, nor a "must" to be young to be talented enough to keep on working in the industry.

So...  here I am on a soapbox! How did that happen?

geez! I never thought I'd get off on that subject!  So much for watching The Macy's Parade!  That,... or... it just made me feel good not to have the older generation shoved into oblivion.

7 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It certainky does seem that in England there is not the same standards about age....And the other thing you see much much more of is actors playing huge parts and tiny parts even when they are "STARS"....It is like Rep Theatre, and in fact that is where most actors come from and go back to, all the time, in the U.K. To them, acting is acting!

I watched Craig Ferguson last night and he had on Tony Curtis, who has had so much "facework" he is unrecognizeable and his fave looks like a mask!!! Frightening and to me, very very sad. He has a new book out which I have to say doesn't interest me at all....But to see him looking like a mummy...Well...it is rather pitiful.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

I also watch the parade every year.. it's one of my few traditions ;p

My favorite group this year was the marching color guard of special needs kids... They ROCKED!

1:41 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

This is another reason why you should give Discworld a try :P Terry Pratchett writes awesome older characters. They're portrayed as actual people, not just as the "token old person", and often they'ree at the centre of the stories. The witches of Lancre have a sub-series of their own!

4:08 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi: Ohhh you are so right that the English actors don't always have to have the lead parts! Which is really smart on their part! So many times it's the "character parts" that hold the movie together!!
Oh.. yes. I did see Tony Curtis on the View and yes he's had so much work done it's just not him anymore. You are right, it's sad. I can see any older person getting a small amount done so they feel better about theirself, but only to the point it doesn't change your looks so much that it no longer looks like you!

hey JJ!.. oh yeah they were great too! That was 2 "firsts" for the parade if I'm not mistaken!!

I may have to find you and shoot you Nymeth! lol... I am cooling it a bit with buying for a while but I have often thought of the Discworld series but didn't know about "the elders" in them!!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Nymeth is right, Pat. You really want to read the Witch books from Terry Pratchett... and the Sam Vimes books. You would so appreciate the humour.

I find more and more that I can't tell one Hollywood actress from another because they all look the same. It's not quite so bad here, you're right about that I think. We do have plenty of older people in TV drama, Little Dorrit springs to mind, also Merlin, but there are others. I'm still frequently annoyed by The News though, where there are plenty of older male newcasters and correspondants, but very few older women. I'm sure plenty of people have plastic surgery here but I don't think there is quite the same pressure as in the States.You need to move to England, sis. lol

12:41 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

The Bone Doll's Twin has an amazing older character that I love!!! I think you'd like that one. I missed the Macy's parade this year...too bad :(

3:53 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Chris: oh.. gee... thanks.. for yet another book on my list.. appreciate it no end! pplllssttt!

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home