My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, November 02, 2008

One of the Best...

Being old lends me to love old movies and old movie stars.  I have to admit that (to me) as  Harrison Ford grows older, and Sean Connery now is retired, the best of the stars are gone.

Now I don't mean that we don't have good actors and actress's.. no, no!

I mean "good actors" in the sense of the old actors, when studios owned them and loaned them out to make movies.  These people were used in sometimes 20-40 movies a year.. they had more than ample time to really (REALLY) hone their craft!

There is one actor though, that I can feel is a "hold out".. he is one of those who should have been born many years ago, because he has his craft so well under his belt that sometimes it's not seen.

Are you wondering who it is that would make put such a person in high esteem as to be named with the all time greats?

His name is Hugh Jackman.

The man is just great at everything he does.  He was born to be an actor, there's no doubt in my mind.  Jackman has played everything from a comic book hero (Wolverine) to a legendary monster hunter (Van Helsing) to a Broadway musical lead as Peter Allen in The Boy From Oz, along with appearing in an Australian tv series inspired by the Man From Snowy River and going into the past to play Leopold, of Kate and Leopold with Meg Ryan.  This is called diversity.  The thing that holds him above many others is that he does ALL of them so darn well ! 

The reason Hugh Jackman is on my mind today (other than the very obvious!) is that I happen to have been at Barnes and Noble the other night and was taking a stroll thru the magazines while David had a Latte.

Low and behold I spotted the corner of a magazine I used to get years ago that I really liked because it is all about "Cowboys and Indians" (which I love!).  Remembering it fondly (but much cheaper) I pulled it out to have a look and there on the cover was the gorgeous Hugh Jackman!  I took a few quick breaths and smiled broadly!..

(admit it.. who wouldn't smile at that?!!)

I smiled to hard that I swallowed my pride and paid the amount for the magazine for the cover alone!   I think this is where I admit I've done that for books too.. heh.

When I made my way to the article I found out that Huge Jackman has a new movie due out the end of this month called Australia, starring along side of Nicole Kidman. (all native Aussie's!)

  (lucky Nicole!)

Now, I grew up on westerns.  Both on television and in the movies. But of course television had the biggest impact.   I fell in love with all cowboys and indians alike!

The movie plot of "Australia" revolves around Lady Sarah, played by Nicole Kidman, who is a proper British aristocrat who is looking for her missing husband. The Drover, played by Jackman, is a roguish loner, but you know Kidman falls for him along the way.   The movie is referred to as "an epic romantic adventure story".

I may just have to go see this!

(ahhh, yup.. gotta see this! yup, yup , yup!)

(this is going to make me wish I could go to Australia I just know it!)

Review: In northern Australia prior to World War II, an English aristocrat inherits a cattle station the size of Maryland. When English cattle barons plot to take her land, she reluctantly joins forces with a rough-hewn stock-man to drive 2,000 head of cattle across hundreds of miles of the country's most unforgiving land, only to still face the bombing of Darwin, Australia, by the Japanese forces that had attacked Pearl Harbor only months earlier.

It gets even better...

Another Aussie actor that I had the opportunity to see and meet at a convention is in it..

David Wenham (who played Faramir in LOTR) has a part in this movie.

And it's not the first time he's worked with Hugh Jackman.  David also had a good part in Van  Helsing!

Having had an opportunity to meet him I can tell you that no photo really does him justice!  He's an extremely  handsome young man in person.. even better than any photo I've seen of him, and just as extremely nice! I hope he gets the opportunities to continue to perfect his craft.

I think I'm pretty much sold on the fact that I HAVE to go see this movie!  I hope it does well at the box office for all concerned... it certainly has a great cast!

18 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

makes one wish she wasn't quite so old. .ha ha ha.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

ps. my word verfication was tensist (which can only mean the two of them are tensists)

6:00 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

pamela: whew-eeeee, no kidding! I guess everything ages but the mind huh? lol lol

6:14 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I'll join the queue to see that movie too! Sounds like just my kind of thing. Wish we lived close enough to go together.

7:07 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: we could both take drool buckets huh? hahaha..

7:43 PM  
Blogger Bookfool said...

My husband was in Australia while they were filming the movie, last year, and I've been anxiously awaiting it ever since. Such an amazing cast and a perfect setting for an epic.

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Jackman (Big fan of the
"X-Men" movies here), and I'm
pretty darn fond of Nicole as
well. Great write-up on Hugh,
and "Australia" is going to be
AWESOME !

There are a few guys these days
that I feel have that "good"
actor vibe, and one of them is
the ever-charming Lee Pace !

His most recent effort was in
"The Fall", a beautiful film..

He's also in the cute TV show "Pushing Up Daisies" !

2:08 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I agree. Hugh Jackman is a really great actor! Hubby wants to see that movie bad lol.

6:00 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

bookfool: did he see any of the filming? Having lived in CA I've "witnessed" some movies in the making.. pretty fun to watch!.

Daniel: the guy is so multi-talented he reeks of it! I would have given anything to seen him on broadway doing Peter Allen! But yes, I too loved him as Wolverine!
Hmmm, I don't watch Pushing Up Dasies, I'll watch for his name though.

Tink: saw my first tv commercial for the movie last night..there's going to be a lot to see!

6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a huge Nicole Kidman fan but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Hugh. And - after seeing some interviews with him - I think he is just the best guy ever.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Where was Hugh when we young? But still, we can 'crush' can't we?

He is gorgeous and TALENTED and a man born late to his time, but so worth the wait. ;)

12:42 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

karmyn:.. oh yeah.. he's too good to be true! lol

Kathy: crushes are definitely allowed! (so is drooling) there are still many excellent actors but only a few are exceptional.. I think he's one of them.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Bookfool said...

Deslily,

No, he was in Australia on business and just heard about it in the news.

We occasionally have filming down here, so I've gotten to hang out at movie sets a couple of times (and I don't tell many people this, but I was an extra in O, Brother, Where Art Thou?). It's really fascinating to watch. The Coen brothers run a tight ship. I was impressed. Oh, funny. The word verification is "pressed". LOL Close!

9:43 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Bookfool: oh how cool that you were an extra! and how lucky your hubby heard about the filming and got to see some! I've seen bits and pieces of a number of movies and tv being made when I lived in San Fernando Valley in Calif. I remember once the Brady Bunch movie was filming right around the corner from DeForests house. They called me over and told me to go watch.. so I did lol. Another time I saw Emilio Esteves sitting on a curb in hollywood waiting for the scene to resume... stuff like that was common in CA... and annoying as all their trucks really messed up traffic! lol

5:59 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I'm a huge Baz Luhrman fan and an even bigger Nicole Kidman fan and this is one I am looking forward to. It looks beautiful. I hope it is as good a film as it promises to be.

3:53 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: I may skip the turkey dinner and go straight for "desert" and go see the movie! lol

11:31 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Yum. I have to admit I'm a huge Hugh Jackman fan too, so I just about drooled over your pictures, and seeing David again in LoTR just reminded me how much I liked him too! I just might have to find a way to see this movie!!!! And I've seen almost everything else Jackman was in except Van Helsing, which I've seen parts of and really was a mess (not him, the movie!!) REally nice post about an actor who deserves more credit, Deslily.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

PS I have to confess, though, that i have watched dreadful stuff just to see Sean Bean. *fans herself* this is one post with some lovely eye candy on it!! lol

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home