My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Stolen Child

The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue

Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Anchor (May 8, 2007)
ISBN-10: 1400096537

From Publishers Weekly
Folk legends of the changeling serve as a touchstone for Donohue's haunting debut, set vaguely in the American northeast, about the maturation of a young man troubled by questions of identity. At age seven, Henry Day is kidnapped by hobgoblins and replaced by a look-alike impostor. In alternating chapters, each Henry relates the tale of how he adjusts to his new situation. Human Henry learns to run with his hobgoblin pack, who never age but rarely seem more fey than a gang of runaway teens. Hobgoblin Henry develops his uncanny talent for mimicry into a music career and settles into an otherwise unremarkable human life. Neither Henry feels entirely comfortable with his existence, and the pathos of their losses influences all of their relationships and experiences. Inevitably, their struggles to retrieve their increasingly forgotten pasts put them on paths that intersect decades later. Donohue keeps the fantasy as understated as the emotions of his characters, while they work through their respective growing pains. The result is an impressive novel of outsiders whose feelings of alienation are more natural than supernatural.

At first I was a bit confused when I began this book.  The entire book is narrated in first person but every other chapter is "the stolen child", Henry Day, who quickly gets renamed Aniday, and alternate chapters are told by the hobgoblin who "becomes" Henry Day. 

It tells of the everyday struggle each child has to adjust to their new life, and at first seemed a bit slow to me.  Then a secondary story began when each child remembered bits and pieces of their previous life.  It then turned into a must continue to read, book in order to find out the story behind the story.

Although I found this book interesting it was also a fairly sad book.  In many ways it was based on reality. 

My own quote for it would be:   "it's not the greatest life, but it's all I have.  It's my life."

I don't think this is a book that I would put on my "reread list", but I did get into it and found it a good read.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ana S. said...

That is an excellent quote. This has actually been on my wishlist for a while. It does sound sad, but also like something I'd enjoy.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

It's on my tbr pile, as you know. I'll bear in mind that it might be a bit of a slow starter, so thanks for the tip-off.

7:15 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I have this on my TBR pile and I never even knew what it was about, LOL!!! You know it's bad when I'm buying books without even reading about them...just assuming I'll like them, lol! But after reading your review I'm reassured and I think I'm going to bump it up on the list. Sounds like a book I'd really enjoy!

12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked the quote "it's not the greatest life, but it's all I have. It's my life.". It motivates us to do the best we can and make the most out of it. Thanks for posting this!

6:22 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth: it did get to a point that I didn't want to put it down.. so it IS a good read!

Cath: I'm not sure, but that it wasn't what I expected, but I can't say what it was I did expect! lol..

Chris: oh i do think you will like it Chris! It does tell you how these children were feeling.. gives you insight and I know you like that.

Jen Juan: hello ! ahh, but I do believe your best is not always enough, the trick is, can you accept what it is then?

12:19 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I read that (before I started blogging though)!!! I really liked it too, but I do agree that it is sad. I don't know if it's still up on the website or not but the author put together a "soundtrack" for the book.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home