My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Baking After 20 Years..

I decided to try to bake and I had set in my mind something that my X and kids really liked when I made them.. but it has been over 20 years since I baked! 

Could I do this?

You do loose the knack after a while, so I was skeptical. 

But I gave it a go and this is what transpired...

I got out the cookbook (my mother in law gave me for my b'day in 1971!!!)  and then the ingredients and started measuring them out...

 

Oh! I guess I should mention that I am making Creme Puffs!

So next I made the "dough", which doesn't look very pretty.

After that was mixed and cooled eggs were added and then dropped by spoonfuls on a cookie sheet, baked for about 40 minutes ... they came out looking like this:

As they cooled I cooked the creme filling in a double boiler...

then added 2 beaten eggs and vanilla and let it cool..

then you cut a small section to be able to put in the filling..

and then...

and then....

(along came Jones??) no.. heh.. then you fill them!

and lastly... sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top...

Whew!...

I really had my reservations that they would come out.  You have to do some baking to know that no two cookie sheets bake the same, no two ovens seem to bake the same etc.. and I've had times when the "puffs" have burned the bottoms off and yet the tops look normal.. so I don't have any great secret...but this time it worked!!! 

So... that's what I did the other morning.  Today I may try some peanutbutter cookies for David since they are his favorites.  Maybe.

12 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

WOW! That is Fantastic, Pat! I've never made any Cream Puffs, ever, evr! And they sure don't look easy to make....But they looked BEAUTIFUL sitting there with that powdered sugar atop.....You Did Good!

6:28 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi naomi: ah, well it's a simple simple recipe from a cookbook my mother in law gave me back in 1971!!

6:42 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Those looks delicious Pat. Helen

8:23 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Came back again. I went from getting no alerets to getting a half dozen a day from each person. I had to come back to see if you had posted again. Hugs, Helen

12:07 PM  
Blogger SQT said...

Ooooh, I may have to try those. I love to bake and do it all the time, but I need to try some new recipes. This might be a good place to start.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

Mmmman those look scrumptious!!!! My lips are smackin'!!! I think YOU are my HERO! Creme puffs are what Melli's like BEST!!! Can we drizzle some with chocolate?

4:54 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Helen:I'd offer ya some but ya know.. i don't think they'd travel well lol

SQT: they really are simple to make but need cooling time for the shell "batter" and cooling for the filling so over all it's time consuming..but easy.

LOL Melli: gunna be the head cheerleader? "C-R-E-M-E Puffs!" yeah cream puffs!" hahahah

4:57 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Gosh, you don't ease yourself into stuff, do you? I only ever made choux pastry once and found it incredibly fiddly. You did a superb job, Pat. I hope they tasted as nice as they look!

6:58 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

They really do look wonderful! My mom loved cream puffs, so thanks so much for bringing back a good memory, too.

cjh

12:39 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I love baking. Hate cooking but love baking. Every year my mom would give out tins of Christmas goodies: cookies, fudge, divinity, etc. but the past two (3?) years she hasn't felt like it so I took over lol. I actually find it soothing. Ooh I have a peanut butter cookie recipe that I stole out of a Joanne Fluke book that everybody really, really loves if you want it!

You won the Kreativ Blogger Award!

1:16 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Oh my god those look so good Pat!! lol...I really can't tell you how much I love Cream Puffs :p Those and eclairs. And I have to say, you're quite the talented baker to be making those! I didn't even know people made those in their homes, lol. They look deeeeelicious. Now of course we need pictures of the peanut butter cookies too so we can drool some more ;)

1:45 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: trust me.. if it wasn't easy I wouldn't do it! lol Once you bake anything you can see why we gain weight so easily!!

cj: as long as they are good memories..then I'm glad

Tink: me too! I think it happened that way for me because for about 10 yrs (early in my marriage) my X had a bleeding stomach ulcer. All "food" had to be baked or boiled and very plain.. but he could eat "deserts" ! I learned to bake alot! Even tackled bread a few times (again, not hard but very time comsuming)

Chris: oh yes, took one pic of the cookies! this baking is minor and my heart isn't really there..wish it was i used to love to bake. whenever I did "holiday baking" I'd bake all day long and then send for pizza for dinner 'cause there was no way I felt like cooking! (plus i'd make myself almost sick smelling sugar and butter all day long! don't know how people in bakeries can stand the sweet smell all day long!)

Pam: danke! lol

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home