My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Lifetime Achievement Award

The SAG Awards (Screen Actors Guild) has decided to give James Earl Jones a Lifetime Achievement Award! January 25, 2009.

Nominated and voted on by the Guild's National Honors and Tributes Committee, the Screen Actors Guild Life Achievement Award is bestowed for outstanding achievement in fostering the finest ideals of the acting profession.

 

James Earl Jones

I have had a crush on James Earl Jones for longer than I can remember!  I don't know if I could come up with the first time I saw him in a movie or what the movie was.  I do know, as with many others his voice captured me and never let go.  (and he's easy on the eyes too! With a great smile and a resolution about him that makes you feel like you have known him forever.) 

James Earl Jones has appeared in 169 movies and has appeared as  himself 106 times

Mini Biography
James Earl Jones was born in 1931 in Arkabutla, Mississippi, USA. At an early age he started to take dramatic lessons to calm himself down. It appeared to work as he has since starred in many films over a 40-year period, beginning with the Stanley Kubrick classic Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964). Probably best known for his role as Darth Vader (for the voice only, as the man in the Darth Vader suit was David Prowse, whose voice was dubbed because of his British West Country accent). Has appeared on "The Simpsons" (1989) a couple of times and played Mufasa in The Lion King (1994). James Earl Jones returned as the voice of Darth Vader in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005).

Everyone remembers his voice.. no one forgets Darth Vader!

HOLLYWOOD - James Earl Jones may be tempted, but he's been warned by his wife not to make fun of the lifetime achievement award he'll be receiving from the Screen Actors Guild during its 15th annual award ceremony on Jan. 25.

After all, he says, he still has a vibrant career and projects he hopes will add to his lengthy line of distinguished films, including his breakthrough "The Great White Hope," "Field of Dreams," and "Patriot Games." Last year, he headed an all-star cast on Broadway in a revival of "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof."

 

(Field of Dreams)

(Cry the Beloved Country 1995).. one of my favorite of his movies!  There is one scene in this movie that takes James Earl's character by surprise and he falls to his knees.. I cried so hard at this scene that I could not hear the dialogue!  So of course I watched it again.. and, you guessed it.. cried again.  Ok so, I have to admit I replayed that scene at least 1/2 dozen times before I could get through it and know what was said!!   He is one fine actor. .. and I'm really glad SAG is giving him this award.

He followed this movie quickly the very next  year making A Family Thing, with Robert Duvall. 

And of course his voice has been used many times in movies as a narrator and in such cartoons as The Lion King.

I have always watched the SAG Awards , but this year , with Mr. Jones getting the Life Time Achievement Award, just makes it all that much more worth while.

18 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I agree. James Earl Jones is a quality actor.

8:11 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I so agree with you, Pat....James Earl is so very very deserving of this Award.....I first saw him on Broadway in his Tony Winning Performance in "THE GREAT WHITE HOPE"....a magnificent actor playing a larger than life character...And of course, there was the film of that play, too.....I met him back in 1970...He was still married to his first wife, Julienne Marie---They had met while both in the Shakespeare-In-The-Park prodoction of "OTHELLO", Directed by another dear dear friend, Gladys Vaughan....I haven't seen him in many years now, but still have such a warm place in my heart for him and of course, I so admire his work as an actor....He Is A Stellar Actor and his body of work is rather astounding! And I say to him:
All The Best, Dear Jimmy---This has been a long long time in coming, and nobody deserves it more than you!

11:55 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Donna: he sure is. Big part or small he gives them his all. (didn't mean to rhyme that sheesh)

Hi Naomi! Oh Naomi! I am reading In Spite of Myself: Christopher Plummer and am coming to the part where he worked with James Earl Jones on stage!!
Do you see me green with envy that you know him?! lol But then I might faint dead away hearing his voice! lol

12:02 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

This is so awesome! I hadn't heard about this. Congrats to JEJ! Can't wait to see the SAG awards now.

1:45 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris.. this sunday!!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

It's true, who could forget Darth Vader? He's a great actor.

5:34 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

I rooted for Darth Vader because of that voice...

What a great tribute to a great man.

And, another great post, DesLily. Thanks so much for them all!

cjh

5:52 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth: amazing he should have such a voice when he began as a person who s-s-stut-t-ters

5:54 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Am amazing man, I agree. And a well deserved award. I really must get the movie of Cry the Beloved Country.

6:20 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: i got lucky. that movie was one I got from DeForest or I never would have known about it. It was either a very limited release when it came out or went right to vhs. It's about happenings and what a trial was like between whites and blacks in Africa in the 1940's. I don't want to give away more lol.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

It's about time! I just love his voice :o)

7:55 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

tink: all voices are unique but only a handful carry whatever it is that his does

6:45 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Our daughters loved the movie "The Sand Lot" in which he played the part of the blind neighbor with the huge dog.

11:07 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

pamela: ohhh ! yes, yes , yes! I remember that movie! It hasn't been on tv in a long time.. maybe this award will bring more of his movies on tv.. i hope, i hope!

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Force Is Strong With This One!

3:00 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Daniel: why yes it is!

6:47 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

He definitely deserves it! He deserves two, one for his acting and one for his voice!

8:11 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: yes indeed !! Two.. two are better than one! :o)

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home