My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The Year of the Chunkster??

January is gone, gone, gone.... where does time go?

I took a look at my first month of reading.. I'm certainly no speed reader lol.. but I did finish six books, at close to 2,500 pages total and I'm close to half way through the Dickens novel of The Old Curiosity Shop that is 555 pages!!  Heck, those numbers shock me!  (not others who read a whole lot more than I do, but had you told me years ago I would read 101 books last year  and I've read 6 and 1/2 books in one month is year I'd call you crazy.)  I will admit though, and memory not being what one would call "sharp", that I did begin the first read of January sometime in December.. that was Edgar Sawtelle and the book was a big one at 562 pages, add to that it was a very slow read.  In The Woods was 429 pgs, In Spite of Myself 656 pgs and the book I am reading now is 555 pgs.

I've slowed down this month because, it seems, that a lot of the books I have here to read are over 400 pages each!  While that would not deter a fast reader, it sure puts a dent in my reading quickly! 

So, what comes in my mail on Saturday?.. these...

The Shadow of the Wind: the smallest book at 486 pages.

Jonathan Strouds new book Heroes of the Valley: 481 pages

and last, but most impressive, Drood:  this one comes in at 775 pages! (can we say yikes!)

And that's not all!  Take a real good look at my TBR pile!

(take note that there are very few book so thin that you can't read the titles!)

On the top shelf, besides the three news ones, the Tracy Hickman trilogy is all fairly big.  Mystic Quest 452 pgs, Mystic Warrior 417 pgs and Mystic Empire 390.

On the middle shelf we have Name of the Wind at 661 pages, then the two that are deceiving in looks by Catherynne M Valente that weigh in at 482 and 516 pgs.  Labyrinth is 509 and Kept 451 pages. (*sigh*)

More in the middle are: The Hound of Rowan at 414 and The Second Siege at 476.  East by Edith Patton is a mere 503 pgs.  Grimpow sneaks in with 481 pages followed by The Mysterious Benedict Society with 485.  The Black Jewels takes the prize since it is three books in one and has 1204 pages.

Lawheads books start off the bottom shelf at 480 for Hood and 449 for Scarlet.  Some of the Biographies and Autobiographies (though not at big as Christopher Plummers) are over 400 pgs tool  Me (Katharine Hepburn) is 418 while Jack is 438.  The Time Travelers Wife slides in there with 546 pages, and David Copperfield is a whopping 861, while Wilkie Collins, The Woman in White, is 635.

The last of the tbr pile is no better than the beginning...

The Magicians and Mrs Quent comes in at 498.   The Star Machine is 553, while The Parade's Gone By is 577.   Jonathan Strange which I began but never finished is 782 pages of which I did get to page 247.  Then the last too biggies.... Searching for John Ford is 848 heavy pages and the Complete Sherlock Holmes is the largest of all my books waiting to be read at 1123 pages!

So.. this is the year of the chunksters for me!... Reading will go quite a bit slower and I certainly don't see me reading more books than I did last year..... however,  other than my fingers getting sore from holding opening fat books... I have some awfully good reading sitting here just waiting for me!

Oh, and before I go I don't want to forget to give "credit" to Susan who's review of Drood pushed me over the edge to send for it.  It's her fault!

18 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Another book to add to the 'to get' list... Drood. That sounds like so much my thing. ALL YOUR FAULT! (And Susan's!)

And yeah, chunksters. They do slow you up but I've told myself I'm not worrying about numbers of books read again this year. Going for quality not quantity. lol. I just wish the book I'm reading now was gripping me - think I'm going to have to abandon it.

5:55 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: LOL yeah blame Susan! lol.. It's huge Cath! lol..
oh my, i hate when I give up on a book.. especially since it's rare I don't pay for a book so it's lost money.. ah well.. if you are fighting it, you will feel better the sooner you move on.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

I'm really slow this year. Only three book so far. I'm blaming the Marathon Harry Potter reading at the end of last year. I did very little -except- read from Thanksgiving till the first part of January. I managed to get thru all 7 books and the new little story book (that prompted the re-read!), but then I was a little burnt out. So, the first 2 books of the year were the Deathly Hallows and Tales of Beadle the Bard.

Since finishing the Potter Marathon, I've been crocheting, and working on photos, and surfing the web and other stuff that is not reading. I've only been reading for a little short period every evening, so it's taken me like 2 weeks to read Kim Harrison's "The Outlaw Demon Wails", which was a great book and a nice addition to her Hallows series. I enjoyed the book, I just seemed to have a lot of -other- stuff I wanted to do instead of sitting down and reading. LOL! I just finished it last night and am contemplating my TBR pile this morning ;p

9:15 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

JJ: well the HP books are worth the reread! It's hard to believe how long ago the first book came out!
Good wording about the TBR pile.. looking at it "contimplating".. I do that often! lol

9:18 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

You got Drood! I'm so looking forward to that book. But I think I should leave it for after The Woman in White, because I'll probably appreciate it more after having read Wilkie Collins. Or maybe it doesn't matter at all :P In either case, both are on my mental list for the next RIP.

I tend to postpone reading chunksters, even though I do enjoy a good long book. The best thing is when a chunkster feels like a 200 pages book! That happened with The Thirteenth Tale, for example, or with the Black Jewels Trilogy.

10:32 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Nymeth: I am looking forward to Drood too but think I will read a much shorter easier book before I get to it since I am slowly (s.l.o.w.l.y) reading a dickens book right now. I like it but it is slow going. so i think i want to get away from dickens before I jump back in even though I expect Drood to be quite different.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I tell you what. If you ever want a hand in reading that stuff, you give me a call and I'll be right over! :)
My tbr pile is only three books right now. I got a bunch for Christmas, but I've already read most of them!
Good thing my birthday is coming up... *schemey fingers*
I hope you enjoy each and every one of your books!

11:57 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Asara!.. hmmm, there was a time, and it wasn't that long ago, that my tbr was 3 books! my birthday is coming around next month too... strange, but i'm not as thrilled about it as you are yours! lol.. have you tried bookmooche? I hear a lot of good things about them and all you spend is shipping!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I have a lot of chunksters on my TBR pile, so I know exactly what you mean! Actually... I have a lot of the books on your TBR pile on mine! lol I think today is going to be a day of reading... :)

12:28 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Good lord. I love your bookshelves!! It's a thing of beauty!!

Looks like you have a wonderful year of reading ahead of you!!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

your head is so full of words ... your eyes must be spinning.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Where did the month go?!?!?

I want to get to Shadow in the Wind for the R.I.P. challenge this year, especially after buying a collectible edition from Subterranean Press even though I already own a copy of the book!!!

1:41 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Yeah, I hate to give up on books too. I finally abandoned this one (The Fade by Chris Wooding) as it's doing nothing for me. And then I get annoyed at several reading days wasted *plus* the money I spent on it. Perhaps I'll try again at some stage.

4:50 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: and I bet you grab the smaller books first too! lol

Stephanie: you'd think I wouldn't have anything left to buy! geez lol

pamela: are you kidding? no matter how big the book is once I close that cover I'm lucky if I remember the main character's name and a little of the plot! I often wonder how I can read a book and then have to look up names or something in order to write about it!... I guess I should be glad I can remember what I had for dinner last night!.. it was.. it was...

Cath: you got that right! I especially hate not enjoying a book because I start off guilty spending the money!

6:11 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Bookmooche, eh? I will look them up, and thanks for the recommendation! I will also probably be visiting the used bookstore up the street with my birthday money. I really need more stuff to read :)

8:17 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Whew...that is one incredible pile of pages you've got ahead of you there!!! Seems to be just the opposite for me so far this year...everything seems to be so short. Only one over 400 pages so far.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Congrats! Oh, I loved The Shadow of the Wind! It was a really interesting story. If it makes you feel any better my TBR pile is much, much bigger lol. Jonathan Strange is a good book btw.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Thanks, Pat! lol giving me credit, you have the book before me. and funny, I was just thinking tonight, time to go pick it up, I can't wait any longer! I'm glad i could tempt you into it too! lol I'll blog as soon as I get it because I expect I'll have to start reading it right away. I can hardly wait!

I love your shelves. I was busy trying to read all the titles of your TBR pile! lol It looks kind of like mine, except mine isn't as well organized. So much to read, eh? It's wonderful.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home