My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dragon Strike

Dragon Strike by E. E. Knight

Paperback: 368 pages
Publisher: Roc Trade (December 2, 2008)
ISBN-10: 0451462351

From Publishers Weekly
The entertaining fourth Age of Fire novel (after 2007's Dragon Outcast) reunites three dragon siblings in a land at the threshold of major change. When scaleless AuRon the Gray hears rumors of his long-lost sister, Wistala, he leaves his family on the Isle of Ice to search for her. Their paths cross in Lavadome, where their outcast brother, RuGaard, now rules. Although some blame RuGaard for a recent food blight, the more likely source is Ghioz's masked Red Queen, who wants to make Lavadome part of her empire. Brought together by chance, the siblings must overcome their differences and persuade rival nations to stand together against the Red Queen's forces. Knight turns the familiar features of epic fantasy upside down in this unique world of medieval politics and ancient magic seen through the eyes of dragons.

I read the first three books by E E Knight some time ago.  I put off purchasing this last book thinking I'd never remember the other books and that they gave enough of an ending that I need not read this.  But something made me order it anyway. (after I tried to win it a few times from various blogs)

I was surprised that it drew me in as quickly as it did.  The protagonists in all the books are the dragons.  The other books tells of their beginning and near death experiences as they fought to survive in the outside world.  This book, as Publishers Weekly states so correctly, brings the sister and two brother dragons back together after years apart.

E E Knight has built quite a world full of humans and dwarfs and fairies, but mostly dragons.  It was equally interesting to read a story from the view point of the dragon, how they lived and what they thought.  He gives voice to many dragons giving them identities of their own.  Just as sibling children differ, so do the  young dragons.

These books were quite a unique reading experience.  I don't think they are for everyone, but if you like dragon books and want something quite unique you might try these books.

This series begins with Dragon Champion,  book 2 is: Dragon Avenger, book 3 is: Dragon Outcast, and book 4 is this one, Dragon Strike.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

This is a nice sounding series, Pat. Love the cover of that book... it's almost Pern-like.

And yep, I'm still up. ;-) 12.40 and I've been reading Carl's review of the new Star Trek movie. Thrilled that he liked it so much.

7:40 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Pat -

You've got me intrigued. I really need to start making a list so I can see if our sad little library has any of these.

And what's the story with that great statue? I think she's beautiful.

cjh

9:15 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I have these books on my list. I don't think the library has them so I have to buy them somewhere down the road!

9:47 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Cath: I have to lay down and try to sleep fairly early (10 ish) because it takes me so long to fall asleep. many times I am still awake at 2 am but I don't get up and on the computer or I will never get any sleep.. this series I enjoyed ..but.. it's one of those series I don't think I will read again. it was very interesting seeing "life" thru the eyes of the dragons

Hi cj: the statue is just one of many around the house it was Jim and Daves.

kelly:like I said, i did enjoy them but they weren't a "wow" series to me.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I really like the sound of this! Also, I wanted to tell you something: I read Jeff Smith's Bone series this week and it really made me think of you. I'm not sure how you feel about comics, but it's a lovely, funny character-based epic fantasy featuring some awesome dragons. I know you don't need another series to add to The List, but here's the recommendation anyway :P

3:50 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Nymeth: I can't beging to thank you lol.. *gotta shoot this girl before i go broke!* hahaha.. thanks Nymeth, I will look into them!!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

They do sound unique. I'm glad you enjoyed this one... well of course you did lol. Dragons of course!

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home