My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Looking Glass Wars

 

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

 

Hardcover: 384 pages
Publisher: Dial; First Edition edition (September 26, 2006)
ISBN-10: 0803731531

From Booklist
Alyss Heart, heir to the Wonderland throne, is forced to flee when her vicious aunt Redd murders her parents, the King and Queen of Hearts. She escapes through the Pool of Tears to Victorian London, but she finds she has no way home. Adopted by the Liddells, who christen her Alice Liddell and disapprove of her wild stories about Wonderland, Alyss begs Charles Dodgson to tell her real story. Even though he writes Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, she knows no one believes her. Years go by, with Alice repressing her memories. Then royal bodyguard Hatter Madigan, determined to start a war for Wonderland's throne, crashes her wedding. Beddor offers some intriguing reimaginings of Dodgson's concepts (such as looking-glass travel) and characters (the cat is an assassin with nine lives), but his transformation of Wonderland's lunacy into a workable world sometimes leads to stilted exposition on history, geography, and government. Even so, his attention has, happily, put Wonderland back on the map again.

   I wanted you to see the beautiful cover of the book "after" the paper cover is taken off!!  I was shocked to see this cover !!  Quite a nice touch!   The excellent artwork is  by Brian Flora.

I'm afraid that due to all that is  happening to me right now, with packing and readying to move and my over all depression, that I didn't do justice to this book.   Admittedly it didn't sweep me off my feet and make it so I couldn't put it down, but then I am not sure any book could.

It is a very dark version of what "really happened to Alice in Wonderland".

My favorite part of the story was when she was being raised by the Liddlells and tells her story to Charles Dodgson who writes her story under the name Lewis Carroll. (nice touch )

The book is very good, though for reasons I don't know I can't say it was a runaway favorite.  It could be because I am not too fond of "retold fairy tales".  I think that surprises me in some ways.. I mean, I do like many Y A books, so why I wouldn't be thrilled to death with retold fairy tales is beyond my comprehension.

There have been many glowing reviews of this book, and many parts that I did enjoy, and I am glad I read it.  And more than likely I will eventually read the next book of the series "Redd"....But like the very few other fairy tales I've read, this isn't a book I will probably read again and again. 

Very mixed feelings on the book.. but then... my head is pretty mixed up right now too.

12 Comments:

Blogger Ana S. said...

Wow, absolutely gorgeous art!

I understand your mixed feelings. But as I'm a big fan of fairy tale retellings, and also of Wicked (to which this book has been compared), I think I might really like this series!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

Sigh! I actually like 'retellings' of fairy tales and such. Particularly the ones where they tell them from a different point of view, like the Wicked Witch in 'Wicked', or the step-sisters from Cinderella, like that. I'll have to take a look for this book... like I need another book to read. I try not to buy too many books ahead of time. I -try- to only have one or two books waiting... Right now I have 8, and I'm feeling the desire to re-read some of my Heinleins... too many books, not enough time ;p

10:33 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it more. It's a different book, that's for sure.

I hope things get better once you've resettled. When are you leaving?

cjh

12:24 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth: if you haven't read this I'm sure you'd love it!!

hi JJ: oh you'd like this one then! I am about the same on all "retold fairy tales" I don't know why.. just, they are "ok" but I don't fall in love with the story.

Hi cj: I will be leaving on the 27th of this month... it's the only time I wish I had a laptop!! lol

12:28 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I liked this book, but I didn't love it! I still haven't read book two and book three isn't even out yet...

3:13 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: yeah me too .. i can enjoy a book but still know it's not a book I will hold on to and read again. (this one will go to my grandson eventually)

3:18 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Here's the post! ;-)

Love the artwork to bits but like you am not a fan of retold fairy tales at all. I try to avoid them by careful reading of blurb but sometimes one gets past me and I end up reading it. Always feel a bit disappointed when I realise it. Not sure why I dislike them so much.

3:40 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath:ok so who's gunna adopt who? Do I adopt you or vice versa? lol lol

4:05 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

We'll adopt each other, Pat. ;-)

4:27 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

The Art Work is quite quite BEAUTIFUL...
Dear Pat...I know this is a very difficult time for you and my heart goes out to you, my dear...I'm surprised you can read at all...! I think you are doing amazingly well.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I really enjoyed it at the time of reading it, but it may be somewhat telling that I own the sequel and have never read it. It is probably just one of those stories you really have to be in the mood for.

I hope things start looking up soon with the changes and all. I am sure I am not alone in wanting to see you truly happy again. Healing over the losses you've suffered can certainly take its time, but I do wish you joyful moments that will pop up and remind you of better times.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I LOVE this book! It's one my absolute favorites! I hope the author hurries up and writes the third one soon. I occasionally get artwork sent to me from the author's website based on this series and it's characters. SO pretty!

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home