My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, August 31, 2009

The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins; Later printing edition (September 30, 2008)
ISBN-10: 0060530928

 

 

 From School Library Journal
Grade 5–8—Somewhere in contemporary Britain, "the man Jack" uses his razor-sharp knife to murder a family, but the youngest, a toddler, slips away. The boy ends up in a graveyard, where the ghostly inhabitants adopt him to keep him safe. Nobody Owens, so named because he "looks like nobody but himself," grows up among a multigenerational cast of characters from different historical periods that includes matronly Mistress Owens; ancient Roman Caius Pompeius; an opinionated young witch; a melodramatic hack poet; and Bod's beloved mentor and guardian, Silas, who is neither living nor dead and has secrets of his own. As he grows up, Bod has a series of adventures, both in and out of the graveyard, and the threat of the man Jack who continues to hunt for him is ever present. Bod's love for his graveyard family and vice versa provide the emotional center, amid suspense, spot-on humor, and delightful scene-setting. The child Bod's behavior is occasionally too precocious to be believed, and a series of puns on the name Jack render the villain a bit less frightening than he should be, though only momentarily. Aside from these small flaws, however, Gaiman has created a rich, surprising, and sometimes disturbing tale of dreams, ghouls, murderers, trickery, and family

Actually, that's a pretty good review from Amazon!

Indeed it begins with a murder and a very young child wandering off into a graveyard where the "inhabitants" find him, and with his mother's blessing, decide to care for him.

Among the many graveyard people Sirus is the one who became his Guardian.  Silus was neither dead nor alive.  Sirus could leave the graveyard and bring food and clothing back for Bod.  Sirus was  his constant.. his protector.. his teacher.  Sirus was a really good character.

Then there was the witch Liza Hempstock.  LIza was buried on unholy ground and had no  headstone to mark where she was buried.  Bod thought she deserved a headstone and went about trying to get her one..  Liza was another one of those really good characters. She kinda made me think of looking for her the next time I go into a graveyard.

Our villain "Jack" was always there in the background, always a constant and always looking to kill Bod. 

I have only read two Gaiman books.  This one and Stardust, and weird as it may seem.. I think I like this one better than Stardust!  :o)

Should you ask if I would recommend this book, I have to say yes!

Thus concludes my first book for Carl's RIP challenge!!

 

18 Comments:

Blogger Ana S. said...

I don't think it seems weird at all! So glad you enjoyed it :)

7:12 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth: i had read the short story version.. but this was much better.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I too don't think that is weird. Are you referring to the fact that Stardust is fantasy, your favorite genre, and this one is more along the horror line? Either way, both are wonderful reads and The Graveyard Book is just a fantastic book to read this time of year. My daughter has yet to listen to the audio version so we might be able to squeeze that in with her during the month of Oct.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

oh tooo freaky. I'd have nightmares.
ha.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

I've been looking at this book every time I go into the bookstore for a while... but there is always some book just out in some series I'm reading, or something else I went in specifically for, so I kept passing it up. I think the RIP challenge (and your recommendation) may just be the catalyst I need to go ahead and just pick it up. Sigh! If only I had the money (and the time) to read everything I want to.

9:58 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: both I think. I am surprised I would like this better than the straight fantasy, but the story was just better.. in my opinion that is..

Pam: noooo no nightmares, trust me, I don't read books that give me nightmares!

JJ: it's an enjoyable read. Though I am not the Gaiman fan others are. Not sure why exactly. Maybe he writes for more intelligent readers.. i just don't find the comfort zone in his books that I do with other authors. I don't come away with "wow that was a great read what else die he write" sort of feeling. I wish I did because he sure is a prolific writer! lol

10:04 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I know what you mean about Gaiman's books. I find him patchy too. I loved The Graveyard Book, not so Stardust. His short story books were patchy too - some great stories, some truly average ones. But I *am* glad you enjoyed this book because I liked it a lot - personally I would like a whole book about Silas; he was fascinating.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I actually think Stardust is Gaiman's least successful book & I'm a HUGE fan so I'm not surprised you liked this one more.

If you like fantasy you might try Neverwhere & American Gods which are both riveting.

&, of course, Sandman.

1:55 PM  
Anonymous She said...

I think I may have to read this one for RIP IV now! Awesome animation! ! !

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Kathleen said...

Hi Pat, glad you enjoyed the book. I need to read this one! By the way I loved your animated bat that was flying!

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Left a comment yesterday and for some reason it didn't get posted. I was saying the George was such a nice guy on the numerous times I met him. Always kind, courteous, and caring of his fans. I did a drawing of him, like I did for almost all TOS people and he not only signed it, but wrote a note thanking me for "sharing my talent", also referring to me as an extraordinary artist. Blushed!
Think he was elected as a councilman or something like that in California. Seemed to want to be active in that area. But he is such a gentleman.

I have read some of Neil Gaiman, and I see him post on a fellow lj's site. I read American Gods. Not sure how much I liked it though as I am not a fantasy person and found it a bit bizarre.

Hope you get this response. Vala

3:57 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: I liked this book better and yet it's not my "type of book" really lol.. but then it's nice to enjoy something "different now and then"

Caitlin:I haven't read many reviews that make me think I want to read many Gaiman books..but I'll work on it slow but sure


She: thanks glad you enjoyed it. sometimes I like to play at making animations.


Kathleen: I did another little animation of a poppet here..http://wwhatdreamsmaycome.blogspot.com/

hi Sher: i was surprised by the book. First off I didnt know he and his family were in the internment camps.. something that affected his whole life. ANd yes, George was always nice to everyone and i was happy for him that he "sorta won" his long time fight for SULU to become a Captain of his own ship before the movies ended!

5:48 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Oh, I'm with you on this one! I think this one is actually much better than Stardust!! It's one of my favorite Gaiman novels. It was just such a bittersweet novel and I want to reread it now!! Glad you enjoyed it Pat :)

6:55 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris:I guess I just think the story was a better story?.. anyway I did like the story and the characters better..

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Jenny said...

I like The Graveyard Book way much better than Stardust. Stardust actually one of my least favorite of Neil Gaiman's novels.

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Deslily, first what a great site, love your animation.
I also loved the Graveyard Book, I read it earlier this year and was transported by the story and the great characterisation. I agree with you about Stardust too, it is rare for me to consider a film preferable to a book but in the case of Stardust I do prefer the film version.
Neverwhere was also a great read.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I absolutely adored this book. I even cried at the end. Did you see the videos where Gaiman reads the book? I just love his voice!

4:53 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

ladytink: no I haven't I will search that out!! thanks

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home