My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Pond Happenings

At times pictures are better than words..

(below) A picture postcard don'tcha think?

The gathering.

Hmm and where did YOU come from?

I haven't seen all of the Moorhen family in  2 days but I did see enough to get this one pic.

Ahhh Woody returns.

I wonder what he eats as he churns up the mud below?

ok so before I could post this I did see the Moorhens!  I am always glad when the whole family is out because then I can do a head count!

Harpo, Chico, Zeppo, and Groucho are all growing like weeds! 

One of the other tenants was feeding the birds some bread.. this is what I captured ..

..  the "piggies" (Ibis) fly from across the pond to steal bread from the Moorhens..

But note that Mama and Pop each have bread that they hang on to...

and all four of the Marx brothers are doing well!!

Short story about the Moorhens.  The adults are quite small..maybe Cornish hen size, yet fierce when it comes to  trying to run off the bigger birds like the ones above.. they just come charging at them so fast that the big bird will jump back and get out of the way..

Well.. for the first time, yesterday one of the babies raised it's neck to get as tall as he could and chased one of the white birds!   And it ran!  I wish I had a movie camera to catch this little ball of fluff chasing the big Ibis! lol lol

7 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh these are SOOOOO Wonderful Pat...I think it is amazing that you are able to "capture" such wonderfully animated pictures of all these BEAUTIFUL Birds....This would make my day, I tell you.

Love those dear Moorhens...And of course the Egrets!

Doesn't your Camera have a Video Mode? Most Digitals do, these days...Check it out. Maybe you CAN get those little babies shooing the bigger birds away....!

12:50 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi naomi: yes the camera does video but i can't find in the book that came w/ it how to load it on the computer (different wires) and then how to make it a youtube to use on the blog. I've been trying to find out how to put it on the computer for some time now..the wires I have but the book only tells how to "make the move and edit the movie" no where can I find how to load it.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Excellent photos, Pat! Look at that lovely heron.....just wonderful. *sighs happily*

6:32 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Stunning as always, Pat. It's so nice to see birds that we just don't have over here, except for the moorhens of course. Those chicks are certainly growing!

3:03 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

glad you enjoy the photo's Susan. I'd be hard up for posts without them anymore.

hey Cath. you'd have had a good chuckle seeing that baby moorhen chase that Ibis!!

6:10 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Your commentary is as fun as the photos pat

1:41 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Oh gosh, I love your bird shots Pat! And your commentary. LOL

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home