My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, August 21, 2009

Ready for a Change

Ok.. so ... I know this happens to me every so often.  I call it YA overload!

There comes a point, when all of a sudden, I no longer want to read the words, "16 year old John stepped into..."  Right now I think I need and adult protagonist.

For whatever reason (and I really can't say why, because I will go back to YA  books and enjoy them every bit as much as always) I just need to step up to "adults" .  I think part of my problem of not having more adult books to mix in with the YA books is that  YA books have better and more varied stories!  I wonder why that is?

Anyway, despite the fact that I did just read a Dragonlance book.. I still find myself not wanting a young child or teenager the lead  protagonist in every book I read.... and so... as soon as I am finished with the YA book I am reading now.. and as soon as  my new Nicholas Meyer book arrives (Amazon said it was shipped), I am going to jump on this book like there's no tomorrow!

From there I am not sure where I will go but it will remain something more than a YA book for now.

It may be harder than I think due to the fact that I don't want to get involved in a "chunkster" because it can't be tooooooo long until Carl is ready for his RIP challenge. (the only other challenge I do other than his Once Upon a Time challenge)

Heck .. last year when Carl was running his RIP challenge it found me reading the Historian in the Cemetery!

I know his new RIP will be starting soon and I'm looking forward to that.. but in the meantime I need to find something in my tbr pile that I can read rather quickly, until it's time for Carl's challenge. 

11 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

You know me, I love the YA books too, for all same reasons as you. That said, I just *have* to read something aimed at adults after several YA reads in a row. The ideal thing is to mix and match I think. And I'm so looking forward to hearing about the Meyer book. *And* neither can I wait for RIP. I keep dragging books out and umming and ahhhhing and the pile is getting bigger and bigger. LOL!

Oh and I've saved that pic of you reading in the graveyard. Good one!

8:57 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: I've alread taken a pic of some of the "potential" RIP books! lol not that I am anxious mind you!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

I'm anxious for Carl's challenge too. I find myself wanting to make piles and stacks. :)

I read more YA than adult, except for a few classics now and then, so I don't know if Three Men in A Boat by Jerome K. Jerome would be something you'd be interested in or not. But it's a fast read with a lot of laughs :)

But I can definitely understand wanting to mix it up a bit. That's why I like to read so many different types of books.

3:09 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Becky: lol there's a bunch of us ready for the RIP to begin! lol..I hope mr linky works this time..it really made a not so fun time for once upon a time.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Kim L said...

Teehee, I can totally understand why you are ready for a change. I feel the same way sometimes, as much as I LOVE YA, I need a change every so often. Something to stimulate a different part of my brain.

Love the pic of you in the graveyard by the way :-)

5:25 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Oh I'm with you...I'm kind of burnt out on YA at the moment. I'll always go back to it though! I'm currently reading an ADULT novel about Hurricane Katrina and it's a nice change of pace...though a little depressing....That's one of my favorite pics of you by the way :)

9:36 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I so agree too, Pat, about reading some YA then needing adult books to read! Mixing it up is a good way to put it.

I do so like that picture of you reading in the graveyard, can I copy it to my computer? :-) Not only are you smiling (sort of) and reading, but you're in a graveyard, which i love!

Oh, and please read and review that Nicolas Myers book for the rest of us! I will get to it, some day, and I am very eager to hear what you think about it!

I too am making lists for Carl's RIP challenge. I can hardly wait!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I'm finally reading the Twilight series. I fought it forever... because they are YA books.

Your new one looks intriguing.

Hey... look at all that hair.

1:39 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I think the YA books better and varied stories may come from writer's whose imaginations just haven't grown up yet.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I will be looking forward to your Meyer review. I was in such a Trek mood the other day. I was disappointed because I couldn't find the latest movie playing in any of the dollar theatres around here. I had such a strong feeling that I 'had' to see it again. Ah well, November 17 will be here before we know it and I'm certainly not wishing time away.

I too read in a cemetery last year. The Graveyard Book and Dark Harvest. I hope to do so again sometime during this year's challenge...which starts so soon I can taste it!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Terri B. said...

Reading The Historian in a cemetery. I love it! I really enjoyed that book.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home