My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Rose Cottage & Feb Wrap

Rose Cottage by Mary Stewart

Mass Market Paperback: 272 pages
Publisher: Ivy Books; 2nd THUS edition (September 28, 1998)
ISBN-10: 0449000613

 

Amazon.com Review

Mary Stewart launched a world full of romance readers, and she invented romantic suspense. In this beautifully written gothic, Kate Herrick, a young widow in war-torn London, returns to her family home of Rose Cottage to retrieve family mementos for her Gran. When Kate arrives, she finds that the mementos have mysteriously disappeared. While looking for answers to age-old family mysteries (her single mother supposedly ran off with gypsies) Kate rekindles friendships with neighbors, kinsman, and old childhood companions. The bittersweet memories that Kate examines help her to redefine herself as a widow and as a young woman with a great need for family ties.

Mary Stewart is such a good writer.  Many know her from her King Arthur trilogy, but she has written many smaller stand alone books.  Rose Cottage is one of them.

It's a short book, but as I said , very well written.  When Kate went back to the house she grew up in she found much had changed, but much had not.  And as she finds out.. there are family secrets that have yet to be discovered.

The book builds very well indeed. And the answers to many questions come in the very last few pages!  But the very ending left a little to be desired.. like maybe there was more to Kate's life that could happen and I wanted to know how things went after the book ended!  *sigh*.

But no matter what, there is no taking away the talent of the author and a very enjoyable book!  I'd like to say more but the book is so short that you'd need not read it if I did!

It would be a great travel book, being small and light to carry and could be read in one or two sittings if so desired.

*******************************************************************

Where Did February go?

Oh geez, it's March!  My reading the past few months has been pathetically slow.. I blame it on crocheting but I honestly don't know why I've read so little .  I do know I seem to want to fall asleep within reading a short chapter or two, and when I feel like that my head is foggy and I know I'm not really grasping what I am reading and so I set the book down.  What I have read I've enjoyed.. but it's so slow going it's almost nonexistent!  But here is the pathetic list for February..

5 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I agree that Mary Stewart is a really good author. I've read her Merlin trilogy but nothing else (that I can remember) so I must rectify that. I have a couple on my tbr pile, as I said to you. And I like the sound of this one so will look out for it.

Six books is not that bad, Pat. I average about six a month myself. Had a good (for me) reading month in Feb. and read eight, but usually it's six.

Just laughing at the word verification word - 'wallyhai'. Not sure why I find that funny - 'little things' etc... ;-p

6:58 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hey sis!.. yeah 6 is fine with me but.. BUT... they are all small!! most my books are over 400 pgs so once I pick up one of those it could take all month at the rate I've been reading Geez!

7:12 AM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

I was thinking about what I read in Feb, and I -think- it was only 4, so you have me beat... However, in my defense, 2 of them were really thick and/or required a lot of concentration. The Lost Symbol (Dan Brown) was fast paces, but threw a LOT of information at you. Had to pay a lot of attention. And An Echo in the Bone (Diana Gabaldon) was a huge book with a lot of characters to keep track of. So I think those should count as more than one :)

Seriously though, I think I spent the whole month of Feb just dealing with the weather with little energy left over for anything else...

12:49 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Ha! You did better than me..I only got 5 books read :p I've been the same way lately..every time I sit down to read (or lay down) I start to fall asleep so I haven't been able to read much :( But maybe March will be better! Last night I stayed up until 4 in the morning reading!!!!

12:55 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

JJ: oh yeah thick books count as more than one! lol last year I did some 7-800 pg books thats at least 2 books in one!

Chris: yeah but these were short books all of them! Now I don't have much in the way of short books so it will go downhill even more with the count! I don't really care except I feel compelled to list them each month when others do that lol.. but I am always glad I am reading, be it slow or slower lol btw: fonzie bear is your personal consultant you realize that don't you? lol lol

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home