My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Faery Rebels

 Faery Rebels : Spell Hunter by R.J. Anderson

Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins (April 28, 2009)
ISBN-10: 006155474X

From School Library Journal

The faery world is crumbling. During a disaster called the Sundering, these small, fragile, winged creatures lost all of their magic save that which allows them to fly, and they live inside a great oak tree, fearful of people and animals. True friendship and love are foreign to them. Worse, they are falling victim to a kind of dementia they call the Silence, and are dying. Into this picture comes Knife: tough, brave, adventurous, and soon taking on the job of Queen's Hunter. While defending herself against an attacking crow, she is rescued and taken home by a human. Knife becomes convinced that the mystery of their lost magic and the dementia are connected to the faeries' fear of humans and becomes committed to saving her community. The heart of the book lies in the relationship that develops between Knife and the human Paul, who is a paraplegic. Anderson draws on echoes from countless fairy tales and legends about the relationships between human men and faerie women to enrich this gripping and involving story. While the main characters are vividly drawn, some of the secondary characters and background story are sketched more hastily.

What an absolute delightful surprise this book was!

Yes it is yet another YA book, very well written, with what sounded like a lot of research into stories that concerned humans and faeries.

This is a small but captivating book.

We watch the main character, Knife, grow up in the Oak Tree always wanting to leave and see the world beyond.  The Queen who works hard to keep her subjects safe, and a few other faeries that become close to Knife as she grows.

Then there is Paul... the human! (horror! haha) We first meet him briefly, as a very young lad, and then some years later in a wheelchair. 

One of the things that kept putting a smirk on my face is that his name is Paul McCormick.  McCormick is my maiden name!  (later on the cover I read that the author RJ Anderson was schooled in New Jersey (where I am originally from)... however, much as I hate to admit this.. I never came across a single winged faery while living there.

This is a story of the Faeries survival.  It is also a story of dreams coming true and of finding love in the strangest places.

The book title seemed to tell me there might be a sequel but it has a very definite ending.

It is a very fast read, and quite enjoyable. Perfect for when you don't think you will have a lot of time to read but want something light and enjoyable.

7 Comments:

Blogger CJ said...

You read the coolest books! I love the cover of this one and would pick it up based on that alone. Your review was wonderful and I may see about finding it.

cjh

8:24 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

cj is right, you do find the coolest books. The cover is so beautiful and I love the sound of the story. I see it's been out a year so it's possible our library might have it by now - will check.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Back again. There are two books in this series, Pat. Over here Spell Hunter is known as 'Knife' and the second book, called 'Wayfarer' in the States, is called 'Rebel in the UK. I can get both at the library (might have to reserve). Book 3 is out next year, Pat. Here's the list:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/a/r-j-anderson/

12:24 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cj: i have to admit this one surprised me at how well it kept my attention.

cath: yes, I see now "wafarer" comes out in June in the US so I put it on the old wish list *sigh*

12:48 PM  
Blogger Sheila Beaumont said...

Loved your review! I've been intending to read this for quite some time, so now I've added it to my Amazon cart for my next order.

6:37 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

shiela: as much as I read many YA books I can't say I am a huge "faery" fan but this author did a really good story and is a very good writer.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I've been wondering about this series - sounds like it's worth a try! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home