My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Time Thief ..(Bk 2)

Book 2 for  Quest the First!

The Time Thief by Linda Buckley-Archer

Paperback: 512 pages
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing(November 25, 2008)
ISBN-10: 1416915281

 

 From Booklist

At the cliff-hanger conclusion to Gideon the Cutpurse (2006), the first book in the Gideon Trilogy, Peter Schock, a twenty-first-century 12-year-old, wound up stranded in 1763. Now, his fellow time traveler, Kate, joins Peter’s father in salvaging a flubbed rescue attempt, one that delivered them to the wrong year (1792) and left their time machine broken. This is a rare middle book in a trilogy that actually outshines its predecessor, and here’s why: Kate and Mr. Schock meet up with Peter, now a middle-aged gentleman, and his agonized decision making (should he reveal his identity or help the visitors continue their mission, possibly erasing his own lifetime from history?) lends the adventure thought-provoking substance. Shifting among numerous perspectives, the tale also benefits from an ingenious crime-caper subplot involving the Tar Man, an eighteenth-century thief who learns to toggle between eras. This isn’t without flaws; the heavy-handed historical scene setting and old-fashioned dialogue may overwhelm some readers. Still, Buckley-Archer has delivered an effective, satisfying sequel that will ensure an audience for the trilogy’s conclusion, in which Gideon will apparently return from offstage

Well now, book 2 has gotten much more interesting then book 1 ! I was prepared for a "middle book", you know the sort.. the one that does nothing much more then fill in between book 1 and book 3..wrong!

This was a very good read!! Not only the the journey continue but it got a whole lot more interesting!  There was more "history" involved and more adventure!  The books are a very good example of mixing a little science fiction with fantasy and history.  (One jump into time travel bringing the kids back to the year 1763)

If I were to find one thing wrong with this book (and book 1) its that it has this tiny blurb on the cover saying, "may very well give J K Rowling a run for her money."  I have come to dislike when things like that are done purely to try to grab a reader who enjoyed HP.  It is nothing even closely like HP ! But they think by putting that on a cover it will get unsuspecting YA to get the book !  Well.. I bought it without noticing that blurb and I"m glad I did because it would have set me into a HP mood and then I would have been very disappointed that it wasn't at all like it.

That being said, now that I've read 2 of the 3 books I can say it is very enjoyable and I can see where any YA reader would get wrapped right up in the story. 

I love that it has small history lessons put in it.  I was never a history buff but I find when small things are put into and adventure or mystery that I do enjoy it very much.  It's not everyday that the name Thomas Paine is mentioned or that men in England still wore the powdered wigs!

I would heartily recommend these books for any YA and even for those of us NOT YA that enjoy ya books!   Try it, you may like it!

7 Comments:

Blogger Kailana said...

I requested the first book in this series from the library. Look forward to giving it a try. :)

11:23 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I can't wait to read this series!! I've been wanting to read it every since you reviewed the first one :) I'm on the waiting list for it right now at the library, so it must be a popular one! I totally agree with you on the JK Rowling thing..it drives me NUTS when people just throw out the Harry Potter name :/

12:07 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly & chris: book one seems almost "too young" in the writing?.. but book 2 got a lot more adventurous and I enjoyed it ya or not!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Glad you enjoyed this one so much! And yes, the 'this is the next HP' thing drives me bananas too. Despite that, those are two beautiful looking books.

6:37 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: it makes me feel like the author of the book has no real confidence in her/ his own work and trying to ride on the tail of HP..it doesn't work!

7:04 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Like you I find myself annoyed by comparison comments, at least when it comes to comparing books to recent wildly popular books. It is one thing to read that something is reminiscent of some classic, and quite another that they are advertising it to be the latest Harry Potter or what have you.

I like your bookmarks, very cool!

9:09 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

I think this series is going on my list.

Yup.

cjh

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home