My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Thief

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Greenwillow Books (December 27, 2005)
ISBN-10: 0060824972

From School Library Journal

Grade 6 Up?Things are not what they seem in this story of wit, adventure, and philosophy. Gen, an accomplished thief incarcerated for stealing the king's seal, is dragged from his cell by the king's magus, who is on a quest. The prize is Hamiathes's Gift, said to be a creation of the gods that confers the right of rule on the wearer. During the quest, the magus and Gen take turns telling the youngest member of their party myths about the Eddisian god of thieves. Turner does a phenomenal job of creating real people to range through her well-plotted, evenly paced story. No one is entirely evil or completely perfect. Gen is totally human in his lack of discipline, seeming lack of heroism, and need for sleep and food. The magus makes the transition from smug, superior scholar to decent guy in a believable fashion. Turner also does a neat job of puncturing lots of little prejudices. There are many deft lessons in this story. As absorbing as it is, the best part lies in the surprise ending. Though it is foreshadowed throughout, it is not obvious?its impact is more like morning sunlight than a lightning bolt. This book is sure to be a hot item with adventure and fantasy lovers, and YAs who like snide, quick-tempered, softhearted heroes will love Gen.?

What a surprise this book is.   .. and what a very good writer the author is!

I realize this book was read by many quite some time ago and I've had it in my tbr pile for a long time.  Wanting something short to read I picked this book out and wondered why I left it there so long. I was to find out at the very end that there are 2 more books out following this one, (which is most likely the reason I didn't read it right away) but as much as I enjoyed this book I don't think I will be getting them.  I know, strange thing to say, well.. I went and read the amazon review of the other two books and they get more into "war" and such and since this book concluded itself fairly well I think I will forgo the other.

Having said that I would still recommend this book!  I loved the main character of Gen.  There is just enough humor in him to carry the whole book.  I also liked the magus and the other characters that took the journey with Gen.. and the surprise twists at the end of the book!  I really did like the book and I think others will enjoy it too and would probably read the  two books that follow.

7 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

I wouldn't say *war* (as in battle scenes) so much as politics and talking about the dangers of coming war. The threats the surrounding nations present...and the intelligence/intelligence gathering side of it all. I did like the whole series. Each book has a different feel. And I've never read a series like that before--with each one being so very different from the others. But I think the first book is able to stand alone nicely.

7:50 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Becky: yes I think it stands alone quite well too. I would think more on reading the others but I have a huge tbr pile that I really want to cut down the size of!..

6:27 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Hmm... this series is a new one to me so will look into it as it sounds good.

Hey... I did a book post! Wonders will never cease! heheh.

6:59 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I just cannot get over the amount of books you read Pat....I think it's GREAT! My reading of books has slowed down considerably--to practically nothing....Maybe that will change back again, but, who knows. It is always very interesting to read your reviews, my dear....!

2:28 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: This was enjoyable as a stand alone.. i doubt I will read the following 2 books.

Naomi: this year my reading is awful.. I've been in a real lull and not sure why.. but i still enjoy my books thank goodness! I hope Sweetie comes home soon!

6:48 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

I don't believe I've ever even heard of this one before! And in a way, I sort of wish I hadn't heard of it now--as I really don't need more to add to my wish list! ;) But to the wish list it goes...

7:55 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Somehow I missed this one but it sounds neat and I love that cover :)

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home