My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, October 25, 2010

The Glass of Time

The Glass of Time by Michael Cox

Paperback: 592 pages
Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company (October 5, 2009)
ISBN-10: 0393337162

From Booklist

The author’s first novel, The Meaning of Night (2006), set in London in 1854, was told from the viewpoint of a scholar turned murderer, but this sequel, set some 20 years later, is narrated by an innocent, 19-year-old Esperanza Gorst. Orphaned as a child, she has been raised in relative luxury in Paris by her guardian and given an excellent education by her tutor. However, her world is upended when they inform her that she is to leave for England in two months, where she will be employed as a lady’s maid by the widowed Baroness Tansor on the vast estate of Evenwood. It is to be the first step in what they call the Great Task, but Esperanza’s ultimate goal will only be revealed to her in phases. Although she appears far too refined for her occupation, Esperanza is immediately embraced by the family, but Lady Tansor proves to be a difficult employer, given to hysterics due to her tragic past—the love of her life, the pretentious poet Phoebus Daunt, was murdered by an old friend. Cox so cleverly incorporates the plot of his first novel that his new one can be read by both those who are familiar with The Meaning of Night and those who have never read it. Great period atmosphere, a cunning plot, and an intelligent narrator make this one a special treat for those who like some history with their mystery.

Ahhhh, once again I am savoring the the feel of the satin pages of a Michael Cox book! 

I can honestly say that his story telling is well worth the fine paper the publishers gifted him with.  But, I am saddened beyond words that he is gone and I can no longer look forward to these excellent novels of his.

This book picks up about 20  yrs after the first book, The Meaning of Night with a girl named Esperanza Gorst, who is an orphan raised by a guardian. My first mistake was not even recognizing her initials E.G. (which would mean something to anyone reading both of Cox's books) After that I "thought" I figured out what was going on, and to a point I did. But Cox handled his book like one of the masters and let you surmise some things, and kept some surprises for later.

I very much enjoyed reading Cox's first book,The Meaning of Night... and I can tell you unequivocally, the sequel is even better!

Although there are secrets galore to try and figure out, you get the feeling that you are ahead of the author, and know all the secrets by the time you are half way thru the book.  

I have a surprise for you.. you will NOT know ALL the secrets until the end of the book! As the man said just before getting hit by the train, "I never saw it coming!"

Michael Cox sure held back some surprises for the ending of The Glass of Time!!  If I put the two books together I can say that they have been my favorites of my reading for RIP!  I will keep these books and reread them one day.

There were even small things throughout the book that I just loved, like the fact that  Alice, more than once, shows to be a fan of Wilke Collins. :o)  It's an enjoyable thing to read books when familiar names come up.

Both of Michael Cox's books were excellent and if you like to unravel secrets along with a murder now and then I think you would really enjoy his books.

This is probably my final book for RIP, although I will begin another such book... I just doubt I will finish another rather large book before RIP is over.  So thank you Carl for yet another splendid challenge!

10 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

That first book is sitting attop my library pile right now, Pat. Just have one book to finish and then hope to start it for November. I share your sadness about Cox's death. What a tragic loss to the bookish world. Am so glad you've loved these two books though.

10:35 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: he had to have loved the characters to continue the "story" the way he did!.. they were both very good indeed!!!

3:51 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I know that any books that you keep to reread are books that I'll most likely enjoy so I'm adding these to the wishlist :D

11:01 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Seems like every book you read these days is a chunkster. :) Which always makes me hesitant to pick them up, yet you make them sound so good that I always want to!

8:46 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris: must read the meaning of night first!

debi: well if it's a good book it can never be long enough.. I feel that way about movies too.. others complain "it's too long" (book or movie) but if its good I don't want it to end!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

You are very, very welcome. Meaning of Night is a book I have meant to get to before now. Ah, those good intentions.

I'm going to have to look for this one next time I am in BN just to feel these 'satin pages'. That alone makes me want to buy it.

3:57 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl as good as the meaning of night is... this book might be better and it really does "conclude" the meaning of night

4:02 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

That is fortunate since the author is no longer around. I was sorry to read that, I hadn't heard.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I love books that surprise me at the end so this is one I would definitely enjoy!

7:20 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kathleen: it's best enjoyed if you read The Meaning of Night first

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home