My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Fingersmith

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

Paperback: 582 pages
Publisher: Riverhead Trade (October 1, 2002)
ISBN-10: 1573229725

Amazon.com Review

Fingersmith is the third slice of engrossing lesbian Victoriana from Sarah Waters. Although lighter and more melodramatic in tone than its predecessor, Affinity, this hypnotic suspense novel is awash with all manner of gloomy Dickensian leitmotifs: pickpockets, orphans, grim prisons, lunatic asylums, "laughing villains," and, of course, "stolen fortunes and girls made out to be mad." Divided into three parts, the tale is narrated by two orphaned girls whose lives are inextricably linked. Waters's penchant for byzantine plotting can get a bit exhausting, but even at its densest moments--and remember, this is smoggy London circa 1862--it remains mesmerizing. A damning critique of Victorian moral and sexual hypocrisy, a gripping melodrama, and a love story to boot, this book ingeniously reworks some truly classic themes.

Wow!  I wasn't sure when I started reading this book if I would like it or not.. but.. sheesh and holy cow!  I never read so many twists and turns in a book before!!!  It would be impossible for you to see them coming!

A very gripping and excellent read!

In the Amazon review it mentions "gloomy Dickensian"..  some of that would be in "nut house" i'm sure!!!    Of course the descriptions of the "lower part of London where thieves live" fit quite well into that category also!

Now I have read two of Sarah Waters books and I guess I will have to check out the others!  If the reviews sound anything like this or The Little Stranger I am sure they will find their way to my wish list! (groan)

I have not read nearly as many books this year as I did other years but I do believe that more of them are chunkier! 

If you have not read this book and like Victorian plots and mysteries you would certainly enjoy this book!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

I LOVED this book and am so happy to hear you did too!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I think Fingersmith is grimmer than The Meaning of Night. By that I mean because of the descriptions of the squalor in which they lived. Cox didn't cover that aspect quite as much. But, yeah, more twists than a corkscrew, *none* of which I saw coming. I need to read more of her work too. I have several on my tbr pile. And I think the quality of your reading speaks for itself, Pat. Huge tomes, that are dense and intricate. You should be proud. :-)

3:06 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kathleen: I'm always glad when the books are really good lol!

Cath: I've liked both, The Little Stranger and Fingersmith, but as I read reviews of her other books she seems obsessed with Lesbians..now I don't mind that at all, but it gets old fast.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home